    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    Wild Coyote, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:34:08 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Wild Coyote wrote:
    >> If I was going to get the definitive collection of the stooges on DVD,
    >> which ones should I get. Thanks.

    >1) Anything by Col/Tri,
    >and
    >2) NOTHING from any other studio besides Col/Tri that contains any
    >combination of "Malice in the Palace", "Disorder in the Court", "The
    >Brideless Groom" and/or "Sing a Song of Six Pants".
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    Thanks Derek. Col/Tri only!

    Wild Coyote, Sep 30, 2004

    Derek Janssen, Sep 30, 2004
  4. > >2) NOTHING from any other studio besides Col/Tri that contains any
    > >combination of "Malice in the Palace", "Disorder in the Court", "The
    > >Brideless Groom" and/or "Sing a Song of Six Pants".

    anybody know why these are in the public domain?

    steveo

    Steve Mclaughlin, Sep 30, 2004
  5. I have seen, "Disorder in the Court," on an official 3S DVD set.

    Steve Mclaughlin wrote:

    > > >2) NOTHING from any other studio besides Col/Tri that contains any
    > > >combination of "Malice in the Palace", "Disorder in the Court", "The
    > > >Brideless Groom" and/or "Sing a Song of Six Pants".

    > anybody know why these are in the public domain?
    >
    > steveo

    Without the others on the above list.

    Tom McCafferty, Sep 30, 2004
  6. "Wild Coyote" <> wrote in message
    > If I was going to get the definitive collection of the stooges on DVD,
    > which ones should I get. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Still Howlin' at the Moon!
    >
    > Wild Coyote
    > wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    The quality of the non-Columbia Stooge episodes is usually pretty bad.
    If you can justify spending $15 for a Stooge DVD, Columbia's _Curly
    Classics_ contains some of the very best episodes ever done.

    1. A Plumbing We Will Go: Good slapstick.

    2. Men In Black: Nothing special here. This is the weakest of the 6
    episodes.

    3. Micro-Phonies: Hilarious operetta farce.

    4. Punch Drunks: Curly in the boxing ring.

    5. Three Little Pigskins: The stooges panhandle on the street, hustle
    some gun molls, dress up in frilly women's clothes and end up playing
    football for a gangster. (This one features Lucille Ball.)

    6. Woman Haters: This is the first (and arguably best) stooge episode.
    Done entirely in rhyme, this musical feature has good production values,
    a good script and a somewhat-intelligent plot.

    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000509900247&item_id=4458

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 30, 2004
  7. Wild Coyote

    jayembee Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    > 6. Woman Haters: This is the first (and arguably best)
    > stooge episode. Done entirely in rhyme, this musical
    > feature has good production values, a good script and
    > a somewhat-intelligent plot.

    Now *that's* not something you read every day: "stooge"
    and "somewhat intelligent" in the same paragraph. :)

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 30, 2004
  8. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > 2) NOTHING from any other studio besides Col/Tri that contains any
    > combination of "Malice in the Palace", "Disorder in the Court", "The
    > Brideless Groom" and/or "Sing a Song of Six Pants".

    To be fair, the Platinum DVD of these PD perennials looks pretty good, and
    is certainly the best available collection of these shorts that I've come
    across. And The Brideless Groom is considered to be one of the best
    Shemps, if that's not damning with faint praise.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Sep 30, 2004
  9. jayembee wrote:

    >>6. Woman Haters: This is the first (and arguably best)
    >>stooge episode. Done entirely in rhyme, this musical
    >>feature has good production values, a good script and
    >>a somewhat-intelligent plot.

    > Now *that's* not something you read every day: "stooge"
    > and "somewhat intelligent" in the same paragraph. :)

    Along with one of their post-Ted Healey stage-musical shorts being
    referred to as "Arguably best".

    Derek Janssen (I'll take my post-stage Stooges in "Gents Without Cents",
    thanks)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 1, 2004
  10. Stephen Cooke wrote:

    >>2) NOTHING from any other studio besides Col/Tri that contains any
    >>combination of "Malice in the Palace", "Disorder in the Court", "The
    >>Brideless Groom" and/or "Sing a Song of Six Pants".

    > To be fair, the Platinum DVD of these PD perennials looks pretty good, and
    > is certainly the best available collection of these shorts that I've come
    > across. And The Brideless Groom is considered to be one of the best
    > Shemps, if that's not damning with faint praise.

    Yeah, but...they're on the "real" Col/Tri studio disks anyway?

    ("Groom" on "Dizzy Doctors", "Disorder" on "Cops and Robbers", and
    "Malice" and "Pants"...currently unaccounted for, but never mind,
    they're just Shemps anyway.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 1, 2004
  11. On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:35:07 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >jayembee wrote:
    >>
    >>>6. Woman Haters: This is the first (and arguably best)
    >>>stooge episode. Done entirely in rhyme, this musical
    >>>feature has good production values, a good script and
    >>>a somewhat-intelligent plot.

    >> Now *that's* not something you read every day: "stooge"
    >> and "somewhat intelligent" in the same paragraph. :)

    >Along with one of their post-Ted Healey stage-musical shorts being
    >referred to as "Arguably best".
    >
    >Derek Janssen (I'll take my post-stage Stooges in "Gents Without Cents",
    >thanks)

    Since "Woman Haters" is the very first Columbia Three Stoges short,
    the first one away from MGM and without Healy, it's been suggested
    that the short was based on an idea or script for a typical MGM
    mini-musical that often utilized rhyming script. The similarity of
    "Woman Haters" in style to some of the contemporary MGM mini-musicals
    such as "Over the Counter" and "The Grandfather Clock" is quite
    notable. Subsequent Stooges shorts would not have had an existing MGM
    script and would depend more on the Stooges' antics.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 1, 2004
  12. "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:35:07 -0700, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:

    > >> Now *that's* not something you read every day: "stooge"
    > >> and "somewhat intelligent" in the same paragraph. :)

    > >Along with one of their post-Ted Healey stage-musical shorts being
    > >referred to as "Arguably best".
    > >
    > >Derek Janssen (I'll take my post-stage Stooges in "Gents Without

    Cents",
    > >thanks)
    > >

    > Since "Woman Haters" is the very first Columbia Three Stoges short,
    > the first one away from MGM and without Healy, it's been suggested
    > that the short was based on an idea or script for a typical MGM
    > mini-musical that often utilized rhyming script. The similarity of
    > "Woman Haters" in style to some of the contemporary MGM mini-musicals
    > such as "Over the Counter" and "The Grandfather Clock" is quite
    > notable. Subsequent Stooges shorts would not have had an existing MGM
    > script and would depend more on the Stooges' antics.
    >
    > .. Steve ..

    "Woman Haters" is my favorite Stooge episode since it has the best
    production values of any of the subsequent shorts.

    I just can't get into any non-Curly episodes. None of the Curly
    replacements (Shemp Howard, Joe Besser or Curly Joe DeRita) came close
    to equaling the charisma, persona and antics of Jerome Lester Horwitz.

    In my opinion, when Curly retired from the act, The Three Stooges
    franchise came to an end.

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 1, 2004