The Story of Star Wars: Wal-Mart Exclusive.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. If the exclusive Wal-Mart DVD, _The Story of Star Wars_ were available
    separately, there would be little need to own the _Star Wars_ six-pack:

    "FYI, if you purchase the Revenge of the Sith DVD at Wal-Mart stores, you'll
    receive an exclusive bonus DVD (while supplies last) called The Story of
    Star Wars. It includes two 30-minute documentaries (4x3, DD 2.0), each
    hosted/narrated by C3P0 and R2D2. The first, The Story of Anakin Skywalker
    recaps the events of Episodes I & II. The second, The Story of Luke
    Skywalker, summarizes the events of Episodes IV, V & VI. They're pretty
    cheesy, consisting almost entirely of excerpts from the other films. They
    seem to be targeted at kids, and those adults who need to be Cliff Noted
    prior to viewing Episode III as a reminder of what's happened so far and
    what comes next. Die-hard fans and completists will probably want the bonus
    DVD, but otherwise it's not worth going out of your way for."

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarsepisode3.html

    While I am not a die-hard fan, I am a completist. The Wal-Mart DVD helped me
    to understand complexities of the _Star Wars_ saga. But quite frankly, I
    lost a lot of interest in George Lucas' hallucinations after the appearance
    of Jar Jar Binks.

    Beware of the dreaded narrow-screen version of _Star Wars Episode III_ (It
    has blue bands on the front cover) which is also bundled with Wal-Mart's
    _The Story of Star Wars_. Here's a scary thought: The bundled widescreen
    version sells out and Johnny come lately Star Wars fan boys are forced to
    buy the narrowscreen version in order to get the exclusive Wal-Mart DVD.

    Oh, the horror...the horror.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4242487

    @(^_~)@

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 3, 2005

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Galley Guest

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:12:41 -0800, "One-Shot Scot" <> spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >If the exclusive Wal-Mart DVD, _The Story of Star Wars_ were available
    >separately, there would be little need to own the _Star Wars_ six-pack:
    >
    >"FYI, if you purchase the Revenge of the Sith DVD at Wal-Mart stores, you'll
    >receive an exclusive bonus DVD (while supplies last) called The Story of
    >Star Wars. It includes two 30-minute documentaries (4x3, DD 2.0), each
    >hosted/narrated by C3P0 and R2D2. The first, The Story of Anakin Skywalker
    >recaps the events of Episodes I & II. The second, The Story of Luke
    >Skywalker, summarizes the events of Episodes IV, V & VI. They're pretty
    >cheesy, consisting almost entirely of excerpts from the other films. They
    >seem to be targeted at kids, and those adults who need to be Cliff Noted
    >prior to viewing Episode III as a reminder of what's happened so far and
    >what comes next. Die-hard fans and completists will probably want the bonus
    >DVD, but otherwise it's not worth going out of your way for."
    >
    >http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarsepisode3.html
    >
    >While I am not a die-hard fan, I am a completist. The Wal-Mart DVD helped me
    >to understand complexities of the _Star Wars_ saga. But quite frankly, I
    >lost a lot of interest in George Lucas' hallucinations after the appearance
    >of Jar Jar Binks.
    >
    >Beware of the dreaded narrow-screen version of _Star Wars Episode III_ (It
    >has blue bands on the front cover) which is also bundled with Wal-Mart's
    >_The Story of Star Wars_. Here's a scary thought: The bundled widescreen
    >version sells out and Johnny come lately Star Wars fan boys are forced to
    >buy the narrowscreen version in order to get the exclusive Wal-Mart DVD.
    >
    >Oh, the horror...the horror.
    >
    >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4242487
    >
    >@(^_~)@

    Thanks for the info. I pondered whether I should even bother setting foot in a
    Wal-mart to buy this set. Now it looks like I won't have to.

    --
    Galley's Music Scene
    A different music topic every weekday

    Galley, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Galley wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:12:41 -0800, "One-Shot Scot" <> spewed
    > forth these words of wisdom:
    >

    >>If the exclusive Wal-Mart DVD, _The Story of Star Wars_ were available
    >>separately, there would be little need to own the _Star Wars_ six-pack:
    >>
    >>"FYI, if you purchase the Revenge of the Sith DVD at Wal-Mart stores, you'll
    >>receive an exclusive bonus DVD (while supplies last) called The Story of
    >>Star Wars. It includes two 30-minute documentaries (4x3, DD 2.0), each
    >>hosted/narrated by C3P0 and R2D2. The first, The Story of Anakin Skywalker
    >>recaps the events of Episodes I & II. The second, The Story of Luke
    >>Skywalker, summarizes the events of Episodes IV, V & VI. They're pretty
    >>cheesy, consisting almost entirely of excerpts from the other films. They
    >>seem to be targeted at kids, and those adults who need to be Cliff Noted
    >>prior to viewing Episode III as a reminder of what's happened so far and
    >>what comes next. Die-hard fans and completists will probably want the bonus
    >>DVD, but otherwise it's not worth going out of your way for."
    >>
    >>http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarsepisode3.html

    IOW, it's the Fox Network intro segments they aired with the week of
    movies, to publicize the theatrical Episodes 2 and 3, and which even Fox
    didn't bother to include on the actual disks...

    (...There's a difference between "Exclusive content" and "Stuff nobody
    else WANTED, but hey, it was free".)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 4, 2005
  4. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarsepisode3.html

    <<IOW, it's the Fox Network intro segments they aired with the week of
    movies, to publicize the theatrical Episodes 2 and 3, and which even Fox
    didn't bother to include on the actual disks...>>

    <<(...There's a difference between "Exclusive content" and "Stuff nobody
    else WANTED, but hey, it was free".)>>

    Derek Janssen

    Yeah, but in the case of the Wally World _Exclusive Bonus Disc_, the price
    is $5.09:

    Star Wars Episode III (with Bonus DVD) $19.96

    Star Wars Episode III (à la carte) $14.87

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4242487

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 4, 2005