    I'll have to look outside my current company. There is no chance of getting a management postition in the compnay I am currently with as IT is strictly a two-person operation

    So, any advice as to how to land an entry level management job

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=, Apr 28, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    Brian Guest

    Well first of all, you can start by learning to post
    properly. Nobody likes to scroll forever trying to read
    a question.

    to management. I was hoping there are a few of you out
    there in this group who might be able to give me some
    pointers as to how to approach the situation and also what
    kind of experience and abilities are key to a technical
    manager.

    >Ideally, I would like to get into helpdesk or customer

    service management. My background is six years of helpdesk
    for a major software company, plus six years of general IT
    with network admin work and other MCSE related stuff. My
    only "supervisory" experience so far has been acting on
    behalf of the helpdesk manager when he was away and
    supervising the activities of contractors and co-ops. If
    education is still considered at this point, I have a
    bachelor's in business administration with management
    science.

    Brian, Apr 28, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    Neil Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in news:5af601c42d55
    $94ec9820$:

    > Well first of all, you can start by learning to post
    > properly. Nobody likes to scroll forever trying to read
    > a question.

    be even better if he used something other than the browser interface....

    as to the OP, how does an MBA sound?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Apr 28, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    Consultant Guest

    be sure to start each bullet in your resume with "managed"

    * Managed 2 servers for a 5 person shop
    * Managed to find enough work in the day to fill 3 hours

    etc

    Consultant, Apr 28, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    Neil Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in news:#YG3QwVLEHA.2400
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > be sure to start each bullet in your resume with "managed"
    >
    > * Managed 2 servers for a 5 person shop
    > * Managed to find enough work in the day to fill 3 hours
    >
    > etc

    Managed to flip burgers for 3 years
    Managed to get fries when "Ding"
    Managed to clean tables while patrons still eating
    Managed to cut down then accrosssssssssssssssssssssssss...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Apr 28, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > "Consultant" <> wrote in news:#YG3QwVLEHA.2400
    > @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >
    > > be sure to start each bullet in your resume with "managed"
    > >
    > > * Managed 2 servers for a 5 person shop
    > > * Managed to find enough work in the day to fill 3 hours
    > >
    > > etc

    > Managed to flip burgers for 3 years
    > Managed to get fries when "Ding"
    > Managed to clean tables while patrons still eating
    > Managed to cut down then accrosssssssssssssssssssssssss...

    Managed to roll out of bed around noon every day
    Managed to drive, stoned, to dealer's house
    Managed to decieve parents who thought I had a job
    Managed to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrom from playing too much GTA: Vice City
    Managed to realize Bud Ice is stronger than Budweiser
    Managed.....what was I saying?

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 28, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    Jtyc Guest

    http://www.southparkstudios.com/media/sounds/502/SandInYourVagina.wav

    Jtyc, Apr 28, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    TechGeekPro Guest

    I hardly had to scroll at all in Outlook Express.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 29, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Managed to realize that posting an intelligent question in this newsgroup
    almost never yields an intelligent reply.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 29, 2004
  10. TechGeekPro wrote:
    > Managed to realize that posting an intelligent question in this
    > newsgroup almost never yields an intelligent reply.

    You should try harder, then.

    --
    Fris "Until the 12th of almost never" bee®

    Certaholics

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 29, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    no one Guest

    Be at the right place at the right time with the right
    people. 98% of all GOOD jobs are filled through this
    path, regardless of certs, education, etc. Of course the
    certs and ed count for something, but who, where, and
    when are the biggies in getting employed.

    no one, Apr 29, 2004
  12. Sorry about the posting format. I've been lurking here
    but never posted before. Hopefully this comes out better

    So aren't there any technical managers here who coul
    answer the question? Or are we all just the "grunts"?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=, Apr 29, 2004
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuYWdlbWVudCBIb3BlZnVs?=

    Kendal Emery Guest

    I am hoping to move into management, as you are. Haven't found that magic
    piece yet, but still looking. Also moving from New Mexico to Colorado, so
    we'll have to see what happens then.

    As far as the resume, there is a book out there called "The $100,000 job
    resume" or something mundane like that. It had a few pointers about writing
    the resume that made you look like management potential.

    Kendal Emery, Apr 29, 2004