the state of Asterisk faxing

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kyler Laird, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    I often rant about all that Asterisk can do. I have discovered some
    things it can't do though and I think it's important to disclose
    those.

    I've been using JFAX/J2/jConnect for years to receive voice and fax
    messages (sent as e-mail). Their service went out recently so I
    decided to tackle getting Asterisk to handle faxes.

    There's a great collection of information on the subject here.
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk fax
    I usually use Debian binaries but I downloaded Asterisk and the
    SpanDSP code. Lots of problems after that but here are the high
    points.

    SpanDSP 0.0.1 doesn't seem to work with modern TIFF libraries.
    ftp://ftp.opencall.org/pub/spandsp/spandsp-0.0.1/README

    N.B. Someone has reported that TIFF 3.6.1 has changed the
    headers a bit, and the following may not work without
    some changes. I will look into this.

    I had TIFF issues. I tried the "whole" bundle.
    http://ftp2.tootai.net/spandsp-0.0.1k-whole.tar.gz
    That conflicted with existing TIFF headers.

    SpanDSP 0.0.2pre versions don't seem to work with rxfax.
    ftp://ftp.opencall.org/pub/spandsp/spandsp-0.0.2pre4/README

    If you want a stable version, don't use this one. The
    app_rxfax.c and app_txfax.c programs in this directory
    will only work with spandsp-0.0.2.

    There is no "spandsp-0.0.2" (non-pre) as far as I can tell.

    Bottom line...I didn't get it to work. I'm sure it can be made
    to work but I'm not up to it right now.

    Someday I trust that this will be cleaned and added to Asterisk
    main. I'd happily put some money toward a bounty for it.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Oct 22, 2004