    then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
    keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.

    Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

    nichas, Dec 11, 2006

  2. nichas

    Gordon Guest

    nichas wrote:

    > Please help me.
    > I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
    > the PowerButton on the CPU

    The "CPU" doesn't HAVE a "start" button. CPU stands for Central Processing
    Unit - ie the chip on your motherboard that does all the data processing.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Opensuse 10.1

    Gordon, Dec 11, 2006

  3. nichas

    Guest

    "nichas" <> wrote:

    >Please help me.
    >I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
    >the PowerButton on the CPU to start it. It just starts and stops ( like
    >the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go off.)
    >then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
    >keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.
    >
    >Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

    ""Power Good" (or "PowerGood", or "Power OK", or "PWR OK" and so on)
    .... Until this signal is sent, the motherboard will refuse to start up
    the computer."
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcPowerGood-c.html

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/y65rls

    , Dec 11, 2006
  4. nichas

    Mike Easter Guest

    nichas wrote:
    > Please help me.

    If you are going to troubleshoot a hardware problem 'from the ground up'
    you are going to have to give a lot more information than you have
    given, and you are going to have to demonstrate a lot more insight into
    what you are talking about than you have demonstrated so far.

    From what you have demonstrated so far, my advice would be to return
    your computer to the dealer if it is new, or to take it to a reliable
    shop for troubleshooting if it has value, or to give it away if it does
    not have any value [I don't really mean that], because so far you
    haven't shown that you will be able to troubleshoot it on your own or to
    even salvage parts from it.

    > I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
    > the PowerButton on the CPU to start it.

    The powerbutton would be a switch on the tower case. The CPU is the
    central processing unit which is on the motherboard which is inside that
    case.

    > It just starts and stops (
    > like the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go
    > off.) then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power
    > button keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.

    That certainly sounds like something which doesn't want to powerup.
    Maybe the cpu fan isn't working

    Naturally it makes a lot of difference if this computer is new or old or
    if any work has been done on it. It also makes a lot of difference how
    much you know about how a computer works and what kinds of
    troubleshooting you know how to do. The fan you hear start up is likely
    the case fan. There can be a number of different fans inside. An
    important one is the cpu fan or cooler, which sits atop the cpu inside
    the case. If the cpu fancooler doesn't work, as soon as the mobo gets
    power, the cpu starts getting hot, and the system may have protection
    built in to shut down the power so that you don't kill your cpu over a
    bad cpu cooler -- as one example of something that can cause the poweron
    poweroff effect you are describing.

    Mike Easter, Dec 11, 2006
  5. Sounds like a power supply failure.

    neil.mccooeye, Dec 11, 2006
  6. nichas

    nichas Guest

    neil.mccooeye wrote:
    > Sounds like a power supply failure.
    > nichas wrote:
    > > Please help me.
    > > I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
    > > the PowerButton on the CPU to start it. It just starts and stops ( like
    > > the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go off.)
    > > then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
    > > keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.
    > >
    > > Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

    Thankyou very much all of you. It has been of great help. I just
    removed the RAM and other components from the slot and cleaned removed
    dust.. and put them in place again and it started working. I think it
    was only a loose connection problem. Thanks a lot again

    nichas, Jan 4, 2007
  7. nichas

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 3 Jan 2007 23:13:49 -0800, "nichas" <> wrote:

    >neil.mccooeye wrote:
    >> Sounds like a power supply failure.
    >> nichas wrote:
    >> > Please help me.
    >> > I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
    >> > the PowerButton on the CPU to start it. It just starts and stops ( like
    >> > the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go off.)
    >> > then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
    >> > keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.
    >> >
    >> > Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

    >Thankyou very much all of you. It has been of great help. I just
    >removed the RAM and other components from the slot and cleaned removed
    >dust.. and put them in place again and it started working. I think it
    >was only a loose connection problem. Thanks a lot again

    There is no start button on the cpu so you must have been pressing the heatsink.
    Now it seems you discovered the power button on the system unit.
    Now you need to learn how to use the keyboard and mouse.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og