    never had a problem with playing any other dvd's and I have played alot. Any
    help appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Wade129, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Wade129

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Wade129" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    <<I bought Stephen King's "The Stand" on DVD a few months ago. I just
    now got around to watching it. It's two dvds. The first two parts are
    on the first dvd and the second two parts are on the second dvd. Well,
    on both dvd's it will only play the first parts. It won't play the
    second parts on either dvd. Anyone know what the problem could be. Also
    on the box it says there scene selections but I can't find it anywhere.
    I have an Apex dvd player and have never had a problem with playing any
    other dvd's and I have played alot. Any help appreciated. Thanks!>>

    It sounds like your Apex is unable to change layers on what I am
    assuming are dual-layer disks.

    Does this player stumble on other dual-layer titles?
    Scot Gardner, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Wade129

    Wade129 Guest

    I don't know if it's a dual layer disc. how can you tell? but i'm sure with
    all the dvds I've played there had to be a couple other dual layered ones.
    I've watched ALOT of movies and never had a problem with any.

    Wade129, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Wade129

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Wade129" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know if it's a dual layer disc. how can you tell? but i'm
    > sure with all the dvds I've played there had to be a couple other
    > dual layered ones. I've watched ALOT of movies and never had
    > a problem with any.

    > > It sounds like your Apex is unable to change layers on what
    > > I am assuming are dual-layer disks.

    > > Does this player stumble on other dual-layer titles?

    It seems that there are more dual-layer DVDs than there are single-layer
    disks, so the chances are that you have encountered many of them.

    According to the Internet Movie Data Base, _The Stand_ is a DS-RSDL
    (Double Side, Reverse Spiral Dual Layer disk). If all of your other DVDs
    play well, it is possible that the Apex is not picking up on the layer
    change code. Try the disks on another player.

    If you are REALLY interested in disk layers, you will need to get a mid
    to upper-level Sony player. The layer indicator is essential -- at least
    for me. The layer indicator not only shows the number of layers on a
    disk and which layer is being played, it also shows which area of the
    disk surface is being read by the laser.

    You have probably noticed that people are always asking where the layer
    change occurs on this disk or that disk. There are even websites which
    have a list of layer change times. Using a Sony DVD player with the
    layer indicator feature will allow you to find the layer change on any
    disk as well as the location of all other data.

    As far as I know, the layer indicator is still a Sony exclusive feature.

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0108941/dvd
    Scot Gardner, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Wade129

    DBR Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > "Wade129" <> wrote in message
    > > I don't know if it's a dual layer disc. how can you tell? but i'm
    > > sure with all the dvds I've played there had to be a couple other
    > > dual layered ones. I've watched ALOT of movies and never had
    > > a problem with any.

    > > > It sounds like your Apex is unable to change layers on what
    > > > I am assuming are dual-layer disks.

    > > > Does this player stumble on other dual-layer titles?

    > It seems that there are more dual-layer DVDs than there are single-layer
    > disks, so the chances are that you have encountered many of them.
    >
    > According to the Internet Movie Data Base, _The Stand_ is a DS-RSDL
    > (Double Side, Reverse Spiral Dual Layer disk). If all of your other DVDs
    > play well, it is possible that the Apex is not picking up on the layer
    > change code. Try the disks on another player.
    >
    > If you are REALLY interested in disk layers, you will need to get a mid
    > to upper-level Sony player. The layer indicator is essential -- at least
    > for me. The layer indicator not only shows the number of layers on a
    > disk and which layer is being played, it also shows which area of the
    > disk surface is being read by the laser.
    >
    > You have probably noticed that people are always asking where the layer
    > change occurs on this disk or that disk. There are even websites which
    > have a list of layer change times. Using a Sony DVD player with the
    > layer indicator feature will allow you to find the layer change on any
    > disk as well as the location of all other data.
    >
    > As far as I know, the layer indicator is still a Sony exclusive feature.

    Why do you--and others, as you indicate--care where the layer transfer is?
    I am just curious.

    --
    "To infinity and beyond!"
    DBR, Sep 21, 2003
  6. Wade129

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "DBR" <> wrote in message news:Ocpbb.6686$I36.4242@pd7tw3no...
    <<Why do you--and others, as you indicate--care where the layer transfer
    is? I am just curious.>>

    For some reason, Sony put the layer indicator and laser pickup tracker
    in their DVD players. Without this feature, it would be impossible to
    determine which layer is being played and you would need to take the
    player apart to see what part of the disk is being tracked by the laser.

    The layer/tracking indicator is just a cool feature that only Sony has.

    Higher end Sony (and a few other DVD players) also have a bit rate
    meter. This is another cool, yet non-essential feature.
    Scot Gardner, Sep 23, 2003
  7. On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:30:49 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    >"DBR" <> wrote in message news:Ocpbb.6686$I36.4242@pd7tw3no...
    ><<Why do you--and others, as you indicate--care where the layer transfer
    >is? I am just curious.>>
    >
    >For some reason, Sony put the layer indicator and laser pickup tracker
    >in their DVD players. Without this feature, it would be impossible to
    >determine which layer is being played and you would need to take the
    >player apart to see what part of the disk is being tracked by the laser.
    >
    >The layer/tracking indicator is just a cool feature that only Sony has.
    >
    >Higher end Sony (and a few other DVD players) also have a bit rate
    >meter. This is another cool, yet non-essential feature.

    My JVC All Region player has the layer tracking AND the other features you mentioned. It is not a Sony
    exclusive

    Doc Speedbyrd
    Doc Speedbyrd, Sep 23, 2003
  8. Wade129

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Doc Speedbyrd" <> wrote in message
    > My JVC All Region player has the layer tracking AND the
    > other features you mentioned. It is not a Sony exclusive
    >
    > Doc Speedbyrd

    In a previous post, I said, "As far as I know, the layer indicator is
    still a Sony exclusive feature."

    You are the only person that I have seen mention the layer/tracking
    indicator as being available on a non-Sony player.
    Scot Gardner, Sep 23, 2003