    if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    the stuff would never come off!

    philo, Aug 5, 2005

  2. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    > and the wrapping fell off again.
    >
    > if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    > that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    > the stuff would never come off!

    So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn near
    impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 5, 2005

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >> and the wrapping fell off again.
    >>
    >> if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    >> that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    >> the stuff would never come off!

    > So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn near
    > impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.

    Heck, i can barely get that packaging off with a sharp knife!
    They need to use that stuff on the shuttle!

    philo, Aug 5, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >> and the wrapping fell off again.
    >>
    >> if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    >> that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    >> the stuff would never come off!

    > So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn
    > near impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.

    Oh man! Some of these bubble packed parts and stuff are damn near
    impossible. I've got a little arthritis, too, and I was just opening a
    bubble-packed USB cable. By the time I got done (and I used a good
    sharp knife), the stupid package was mangled beyond all recognition.
    The cable did survive, however.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May 15 decadent Jehovah's witnesses eat each other's belly-button fluff

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 5, 2005
  5. philo

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Those shuttles are so old I'm surprised that's the only thing falling off.
    Did you see how easy it was for the guy to remove that filling. They have
    been piecing those things together for years. Now the new stuff is great.
    Smaller Faster Better and Cheaper.

    pcbutts1, Aug 5, 2005
  6. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >>> and the wrapping fell off again.
    >>>
    >>> if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    >>> that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    >>> the stuff would never come off!

    >> So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn
    >> near impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.
    >>

    > Oh man! Some of these bubble packed parts and stuff are damn near
    > impossible. I've got a little arthritis, too, and I was just opening a
    > bubble-packed USB cable. By the time I got done (and I used a good
    > sharp knife), the stupid package was mangled beyond all recognition.
    > The cable did survive, however.

    Exactly! My hands do fine typing, but holding tools and such is getting to
    be a bother. For a guy who used to fix anything that came my way, that's
    almost as frustrating as opening those stinking retail packages.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 5, 2005
  7. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >> and the wrapping fell off again.
    >>
    >> if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    >> that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    >> the stuff would never come off!

    > So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn
    > near impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.

    Especially any arthritis relief product!

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....

    Top (retired), Aug 5, 2005
  8. philo

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * philo wrote:
    > yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    > and the wrapping fell off again.
    >
    > if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    > that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    > the stuff would never come off!

    you fly your mouse into space?

    --
    Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins, Aug 5, 2005
  9. Top (retired) wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >>> and the wrapping fell off again.
    >>>
    >>> if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    >>> that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    >>> the stuff would never come off!

    >> So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn
    >> near impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.
    >>

    > Especially any arthritis relief product!
    >
    > Ed

    You mean those "child-proof" caps that any 4-year-old can open in two
    seconds, but an adult with a little arthritis has to get assistance
    with?

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 5, 2005
  10. philo

    trout Guest

    philo wrote:

    > yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    > and the wrapping fell off again.
    >
    > if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    > that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    > the stuff would never come off!

    Or the people that put that bullet-proof wrapping on CD cases. But
    then again, it would be a shame to see them land safely, only to run out
    of oxygen with scientists running around with pen-knives and
    letter-openers.
    --
    Need another seven astronauts.

    trout, Aug 5, 2005
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:15:24 -0700, trout wrote:

    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >> and the wrapping fell off again.
    >>
    >> if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    >> that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    >> the stuff would never come off!

    > Or the people that put that bullet-proof wrapping on CD cases. But
    > then again, it would be a shame to see them land safely, only to run out
    > of oxygen with scientists running around with pen-knives and
    > letter-openers.

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    philo, Aug 5, 2005
  12. philo

    PC Guest

    > "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >> Toolman Tim wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >>> So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn
    >>> near impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.
    >>>

    >> Oh man! Some of these bubble packed parts and stuff are damn near
    >> impossible. I've got a little arthritis, too, and I was just opening a
    >> bubble-packed USB cable. By the time I got done (and I used a good
    >> sharp knife), the stupid package was mangled beyond all recognition.
    >> The cable did survive, however.
    >>

    > Exactly! My hands do fine typing, but holding tools and such is getting to
    > be a bother. For a guy who used to fix anything that came my way, that's
    > almost as frustrating as opening those stinking retail packages.

    Like those molded clear plastic shells welded at the edges.
    Getting to the stage where one should ask the checkout to open it as a
    condition of purchase.
    Actually when I think of it probably a good idea to leave these shells
    behind, no RFID tags.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 5, 2005
  13. PC wrote:

    > Like those molded clear plastic shells welded at the edges. Getting
    > to the stage where one should ask the checkout to open it as a
    > condition of purchase. Actually when I think of it probably a good
    > idea to leave these shells behind, no RFID tags.

    Some stores require original packaging for a return, if you decide you
    want to take it back.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 5, 2005
  14. philo

    > Top (retired) wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >>> So true! With a touch of arthritis in my hands, it is getting damn
    >>> near impossible to get into the packaging products in use today.
    >>>

    >> Especially any arthritis relief product!
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>

    > You mean those "child-proof" caps that any 4-year-old can open in two
    > seconds, but an adult with a little arthritis has to get assistance
    > with?

    Exactly! My bottle of Aleve says "easy open". NOT! I got a sharp knife and
    cut off the interlocking crap so I can get it open when I need it.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 6, 2005
  15. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >> and the wrapping fell off again.
    >>
    >> if they used the same company to apply the foam...
    >> that put the plastic around my new mouse...
    >> the stuff would never come off!

    > Or the people that put that bullet-proof wrapping on CD cases. But
    > then again, it would be a shame to see them land safely, only to run out
    > of oxygen with scientists running around with pen-knives and
    > letter-openers.
    > --
    > Need another seven astronauts.

    VBG!!!

    Toolman Tim, Aug 6, 2005
  16. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >> Top (retired) wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    >>> Especially any arthritis relief product!
    >>>
    >>> Ed
    >>>

    >> You mean those "child-proof" caps that any 4-year-old can open in
    >> two seconds, but an adult with a little arthritis has to get
    >> assistance with?
    >>

    > Exactly! My bottle of Aleve says "easy open". NOT! I got a sharp
    > knife and cut off the interlocking crap so I can get it open when
    > I need it.

    I find my power miter saw works well. And so far I still most of my
    fingers attached.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....

    Top (retired), Aug 6, 2005
  17. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message

    >>> You mean those "child-proof" caps that any 4-year-old can open in
    >>> two seconds, but an adult with a little arthritis has to get
    >>> assistance with?
    >>>

    >> Exactly! My bottle of Aleve says "easy open". NOT! I got a sharp
    >> knife and cut off the interlocking crap so I can get it open when
    >> I need it.
    >>

    > I find my power miter saw works well. And so far I still most of my
    > fingers attached.

    <VBG>! I just may have to try that next time ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 6, 2005
  18. philo

    aleX Guest

    philo wrote:
    > yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    > and the wrapping fell off again.

    I've wondered about that, can't they use some sort of thermal blanket,
    or a double-hulled tank with the foam between the skins, or some sort of
    'giant hairnet' strateched over it to catch any pieces? Probably cost is
    a major factor, weight, temperature, wind resistance etc. Foam must be
    the best answer.

    aleX, Aug 6, 2005
  19. I read that they switched foam to a non Freon based one. It's been chipping
    away (flaking really) since the switch.

    Spanky Robbins, Aug 6, 2005
  20. philo

    philo Guest

    aleX wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> yep over 2 years and 200 million dollars
    >> and the wrapping fell off again.

    > I've wondered about that, can't they use some sort of thermal blanket,
    > or a double-hulled tank with the foam between the skins, or some sort of
    > 'giant hairnet' strateched over it to catch any pieces? Probably cost is
    > a major factor, weight, temperature, wind resistance etc. Foam must be
    > the best answer.

    i was just wondering about some coating that just plain burns off

    philo, Aug 6, 2005