    --
    The Evangelical Spectator
    http://evangelicalspectator.typepad.com/

    John Norton, Sep 20, 2006

  2. John Norton wrote:
    > "I can't stand pornography. So I bought me one of them Christian cameras,"
    > said Don McGrath, a long-time professional photographer from Johnson City,

    Mildly amusing first time. Now piss off.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Sep 21, 2006

  3. John Norton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:18:27 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> "I can't stand pornography. So I bought me one of them Christian cameras,"
    >> said Don McGrath, a long-time professional photographer from Johnson City,
    >>

    > Mildly amusing first time. Now piss off.

    Do you really think by this time that whoever is masquerading as
    John Norton will ever read your reply, let alone heed your advice?

    :Header: Followup-To: rec.photo.technique.nature

    Too many possibilities to guess the purpose of this.

    ASAAR, Sep 21, 2006
  4. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:18:27 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >>> "I can't stand pornography. So I bought me one of them Christian cameras,"
    >>> said Don McGrath, a long-time professional photographer from Johnson City,
    >>>

    >> Mildly amusing first time. Now piss off.

    > Do you really think by this time that whoever is masquerading as
    > John Norton will ever read your reply, let alone heed your advice?

    No, and no.

    > :Header: Followup-To: rec.photo.technique.nature
    >
    > Too many possibilities to guess the purpose of this.

    By setting a followup to either alt.morons, or one of the tinier
    newsgroups, the chance of the thread continuing diminish. If "Norton"
    want to continue trying a cross NG flame war, he'll have to start again,
    or go through each of the NG's to find where the replies have gone.

    Yes, a lot of holes in that, but if we each do part...

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 21, 2006
  5. John Norton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:06:18 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> :Header: Followup-To: rec.photo.technique.nature
    >>
    >> Too many possibilities to guess the purpose of this.

    > By setting a followup to either alt.morons, or one of the tinier
    > newsgroups, the chance of the thread continuing diminish. If "Norton"
    > want to continue trying a cross NG flame war, he'll have to start again,
    > or go through each of the NG's to find where the replies have gone.
    >
    > Yes, a lot of holes in that, but if we each do part...

    Yes, one being that my reply went to rpd, not rptn. :) But the
    effectiveness of your method, since it would have resulted in a
    reply to only one of the listed newsgroups, would have been, by one
    newsgroup, less effective than had you simply ignored Norton's post
    and not replied at all! Better to hire an investigator to track
    Norton down and have him sealed in a can of Spam. Please excuse me
    while I return to Arsenic And Old Lace.

    ASAAR, Sep 21, 2006
  6. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:06:18 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >>> :Header: Followup-To: rec.photo.technique.nature
    >>>
    >>> Too many possibilities to guess the purpose of this.

    >> By setting a followup to either alt.morons, or one of the tinier
    >> newsgroups, the chance of the thread continuing diminish. If "Norton"
    >> want to continue trying a cross NG flame war, he'll have to start again,
    >> or go through each of the NG's to find where the replies have gone.
    >>
    >> Yes, a lot of holes in that, but if we each do part...

    > Yes, one being that my reply went to rpd, not rptn. :) But the
    > effectiveness of your method, since it would have resulted in a
    > reply to only one of the listed newsgroups, would have been, by one
    > newsgroup, less effective than had you simply ignored Norton's post
    > and not replied at all! Better to hire an investigator to track
    > Norton down and have him sealed in a can of Spam. Please excuse me
    > while I return to Arsenic And Old Lace.

    You're simply arguing, not just here but in about every other thread
    you've posted in recently. And you know better, so you're not excused.

    Crikey, now, mate!

    --
    lsmft

    I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
    not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

    John McWilliams, Sep 21, 2006
  7. John Norton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:43:36 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> Yes, one being that my reply went to rpd, not rptn. :) But the
    >> effectiveness of your method, since it would have resulted in a
    >> reply to only one of the listed newsgroups, would have been, by one
    >> newsgroup, less effective than had you simply ignored Norton's post
    >> and not replied at all! Better to hire an investigator to track
    >> Norton down and have him sealed in a can of Spam. Please excuse me
    >> while I return to Arsenic And Old Lace.

    > You're simply arguing, not just here but in about every other thread
    > you've posted in recently. And you know better, so you're not excused.

    Not at all. I saw it as more discussion than argument. Like some
    others, you prefer to see things differently, and I won't argue with
    that. I'm sure that we'll both continue posting as we've done
    before, and neither of us will seek the approval of the other or
    have any concern over whether excuses are made. But all the same,
    I'll excuse your futile, Quixotic quest to rid the world of spam.

    > Crikey, now, mate!
    >
    > --
    > lsmft

    Lucky you. If you're a smoker you'll need it!

    ASAAR, Sep 21, 2006
  8. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:43:36 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >>> Yes, one being that my reply went to rpd, not rptn. :) But the
    >>> effectiveness of your method, since it would have resulted in a
    >>> reply to only one of the listed newsgroups, would have been, by one
    >>> newsgroup, less effective than had you simply ignored Norton's post
    >>> and not replied at all! Better to hire an investigator to track
    >>> Norton down and have him sealed in a can of Spam. Please excuse me
    >>> while I return to Arsenic And Old Lace.

    >> You're simply arguing, not just here but in about every other thread
    >> you've posted in recently. And you know better, so you're not excused.

    > Not at all. I saw it as more discussion than argument. Like some
    > others, you prefer to see things differently, and I won't argue with
    > that. I'm sure that we'll both continue posting as we've done
    > before, and neither of us will seek the approval of the other or
    > have any concern over whether excuses are made. But all the same,
    > I'll excuse your futile, Quixotic quest to rid the world of spam.

    My quixotic quest (_Don Quixote_ is capitalized, of course), as you put
    it, has nothing to do with spam.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 21, 2006
  9. John Norton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:05:02 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> Not at all. I saw it as more discussion than argument. Like some
    >> others, you prefer to see things differently, and I won't argue with
    >> that. I'm sure that we'll both continue posting as we've done
    >> before, and neither of us will seek the approval of the other or
    >> have any concern over whether excuses are made. But all the same,
    >> I'll excuse your futile, Quixotic quest to rid the world of spam.

    > My quixotic quest (_Don Quixote_ is capitalized, of course), as you put
    > it, has nothing to do with spam.

    I initially had it as "quixotic", but changed it for reasons
    beyond those contemplated in the usual "style" manuals or by White
    or Zinsser. If a cross NG flame war is going on, it doesn't appear
    to have leaked into this ng, as many of the political and other
    religious cross-posted threads used to. Your replies to Norton
    *may* be having some effect, but even if they weren't, I wasn't
    trying to get you to stop posting them. It's just that I consider
    them to be doing at least an equally effective job in keeping the
    elephants away, so carry on. :)

    ASAAR, Sep 22, 2006