    Much appreciated if you can help

    Eddie

    ---

    Edward Doyle, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Edward Doyle wrote:
    > Do you know a simple enough prog to use to make avi's smaller so that when I
    > can convert them to mpeg to be able to fit them on to one disk to be able to
    > watch on my home dvd player.I there anything on the net is free to use you
    > can do this with or do you know the name of anything you would recommend so
    > I could try and get a hold of it.
    >
    > Much appreciated if you can help
    >
    > Eddie

    If you have Nero, cancel the wizard and use the toolbar to launch a new
    session.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Edward Doyle

    gangle Guest

    The file size of the AVI is irrelevant if you are going to convert
    to VCD or SVCD mpg formats in order to make it playable
    on a stand-alone DVD player. This is because both VCD
    and SVCD mpg formats are structured acoording to TIME;
    that is, a VCD needs 10 MB per 1 minute of video, and SVCD
    needs 20 MB per 1 minute of video. So, for example, no matter
    how large a 90 minute AVI file is in MB, when converted
    it will be 900 MB as a VCD and 1800 MB as a SVCD.
    In the VDD case, 2 CDs (@ 700 MB/CD) would be needed,
    and in the SVCD case, three CDs would be needed.

    Any AVI can be converted to VCD or SVCD using TMPGEnc:
    http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    You can use TMPGEnc to output the MPGs into parts that
    are no bigger than 700 MB, which can then be burned to
    CD using any burning software with a VCD/SVCD setting.

    gangle, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Edward Doyle

    US Guest

    US, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Edward Doyle

    Mark Shaw Guest

    "Edward Doyle" <> wrote in message
    > Do you know a simple enough prog to use to make avi's smaller so that when

    > can convert them to mpeg to be able to fit them on to one disk to be able

    > watch on my home dvd player.I there anything on the net is free to use you
    > can do this with or do you know the name of anything you would recommend

    so
    > I could try and get a hold of it.

    Why not buy a Kiss dvd player, with an ethernet port and big ide hard disk
    built in.
    You can either:
    - watch your movies on the kiss dvd player directly from your pc
    - upload your movies to the kiss dvd player, turn your pc off, and watch
    your movies when you want.

    Mark Shaw, Jul 22, 2004
  6. Edward Doyle

    gangle Guest

    "Mark Shaw" wrote

    > "Edward Doyle" wrote
    > > Do you know a simple enough prog to use to make avi's smaller so that when

    > > can convert them to mpeg to be able to fit them on to one disk to be able

    > > watch on my home dvd player.I there anything on the net is free to use you
    > > can do this with or do you know the name of anything you would recommend

    > so
    > > I could try and get a hold of it.

    > Why not buy a Kiss dvd player, with an ethernet port and big ide hard disk
    > built in.
    > You can either:
    > - watch your movies on the kiss dvd player directly from your pc
    > - upload your movies to the kiss dvd player, turn your pc off, and watch
    > your movies when you want.

    Buying new hardware does not remotely answer the OP's question.
    The OP asked for FREE software to solve his problem.

    gangle, Jul 22, 2004
  7. Edward Doyle

    Dodo Guest

    Dodo, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Edward Doyle

    doS Guest

    yeh, spend 15 bucks on a blank when you can buy another
    original....harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    doS, Jul 24, 2004
  9. Edward Doyle

    Dodo Guest

    Actually, I could only find one source for the media and it was twenty-two
    bucks each at
    http://www.americal.com/ct/double layer 8.5gb dvd media.html. But,
    the price will be coming down when more product hits the market.

    "A large percentage of our production capacity is currently being shipped to
    drive manufacturers so they can test and calibrate their drives at the
    factory level," Clatterbuck explained. "To meet the growing demand from
    manufacturers and enable us to place the multi-pack DL media with large
    retailers, we're adding another production line that will double our DVD+R
    DL media production capacity by the August/September timeframe."
    Source:
    http://verbatim.com/news/news_detail.cfm?news_id=FCC7428C-5593-4959-B328A620D66E4E23

    If homeboy wants to mess around with some software in the meantime, I'd
    recommend Xmpeg at http://mp3guest.com/Xmpeg_Index.asp?l=US.

    Dodo, Jul 24, 2004
  10. Edward Doyle

    M.L. Guest

    >Do you know a simple enough prog to use to make avi's smaller so that when I
    >can convert them to mpeg to be able to fit them on to one disk to be able to
    >watch on my home dvd player.I there anything on the net is free to use you
    >can do this with or do you know the name of anything you would recommend so
    >I could try and get a hold of it.

    Google for the following freeware all-in-one DVD-to-mpeg programs:
    DVDx, DVDRipnBurn, EasyVCD.

    DVDx is particularly good for fitting a DVD onto one CD because it
    shows you the size of the mpeg file as you adjust the bitrate up or
    down. However, the output mpeg quality could be better. While the
    freeware TMPGenc is not an all-in-one solution, it gives the best
    mpeg output by far, and is very stable.

    M.L., Aug 9, 2004