The saga of DELL Computers and Courier Post

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    Thank God I paid extra for an extended warranty, 24/7 technical
    assistance and 7 day onsite service.

    The first major was the motherboard. It had to be replaced when the
    computer was around a week old. Next up was the DVD/CD R-RW drive
    which crapped out and had to be replaced. Then, last Saturday, the
    monitor fizzles out.

    The computer is less than six months old

    So I phone the 24/7 number, explain what happened. Go through a couple
    of tests the technician wanted me to try and he tells me that he'll
    order a replacement monitor and that someone from Dell should contact
    me on Monday to set up a delivery time.

    So far, so good ... and Monday around 11:00am the call comes in from
    Dell telling me that the delivery will take place on Tuesday between
    nine and five. As a result, I juggle some things so I can be home
    during those hours and I wait, wait wait. No delivery.

    I phone Dell and ask why and they do a trace, then come back with an
    explanation from Courier Post that rural deliveries take two to three
    days.

    Why? No one can tell me. But what I do know is that parcels sent via
    NZ Couriers from Auckland (which is where Dell's depot is) are
    delivered the next day to my door. So why can't Courier Post do the
    same? Dell is just as perplexed as I am.

    Long story short: the monitor was eventually delivered, but not to me.
    Instead, it was left a the village shop because Courier Post
    sub-contracts out rural deliveries to NZPost and NZPost doesn't do
    rural deliveries to addresses that aren't close to the main road. Not
    only that, they lazy fuckers charge extra for it.

    So you'd think that, for that extra charge, they'd at least phone the
    intended recipient and let them know what's going on. But no, the lazy
    rural post lady (known locally as Post Bitch) stuck a note into an old
    mailbox she knows we don't use any more and expects me to be a mind
    reader. It took several more phone calls to Dell to find out where it
    was.

    To their credit, Dell have been really good about all this and they're
    a bit pissed off with Courier Post because they weren't aware that
    they didn't provide a door to door delivery service in rural areas
    even though they charged a premium for rural deliveries. But the next
    example of Courier Post's arrogance has REALLY pissed them off.

    I'm supposed to return the failed monitor to Dell using a prepaid
    Courier Post ticket on the box the replacement monitor was sent in.

    So I phone up Courier Post as instructed by Dell and try to book a
    pick-up. No way say's Courier Post. You'll have to drop it off at the
    local shop because we don't do pick-ups from rural address that aren't
    on a main road.

    No way, says I. Our house is 700 metres from the main road and the
    shop is almost two kilometres out of our way - or almost four
    kilometres round trip.

    The people at Dell Logistics told me to give Courier Post till Friday
    to make the pick-up and, if they don't, then give them a call on
    Monday and they'll take it from there.

    I imagine that Dell's NZ business is worth a fair bit to Courier Post.
    But now that they're aware of how Courier Post is charging them extra
    for what they believed were door-to-door rural deliveries, but not
    making those deliveries, I'm hoping they will be reconsidering their
    relationship with these assholes and looking at giving NZ Couriers
    their business. Watch this space.

    Donchano, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Donchano

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano <> wrote:

    >Thank God I paid extra for an extended warranty, 24/7 technical
    >assistance and 7 day onsite service.
    >
    >The first major was the motherboard. It had to be replaced when the
    >computer was around a week old. Next up was the DVD/CD R-RW drive
    >which crapped out and had to be replaced. Then, last Saturday, the
    >monitor fizzles out.
    >
    >The computer is less than six months old

    NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..

    Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD, and standard parts that can
    be replaced any were..

    Mathew Good, Feb 17, 2007

  3. NZ Post is clearly failing in their contractual obligations by neither
    carrying out the service they were paid to do, or fully informing the
    sender of the package of the conditions.

    If they accept the package for delivery, without disclosing the fact
    that they do not intend to deliver the mail, to the intended address,
    within the specified timeframe, then they are in breach of their
    contract, and you should complain until they deliver the package. The
    contract is with the sender, so it is up to them to persue any claims
    however.

    NZ Post got sick of my complaints and started arguing with me about
    delivery. The problem is sorted now, but not before threatening to
    complain to the Commerce Commission, after NZ Post continually omitted
    to respond to my requests for legal justification of their actions.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Feb 17, 2007
  4. Donchano

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thank God I paid extra for an extended warranty, 24/7 technical
    >>assistance and 7 day onsite service.
    >>
    >>The first major was the motherboard. It had to be replaced when the
    >>computer was around a week old. Next up was the DVD/CD R-RW drive
    >>which crapped out and had to be replaced. Then, last Saturday, the
    >>monitor fizzles out.
    >>
    >>The computer is less than six months old

    > NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..
    >

    > Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD,

    At full retail price, Charlie.
    About a $1,000 for Vista Ultimate and around half that for Vista Premium.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 17, 2007
  5. Donchano

    PeeCee Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > pick-up. No way say's Courier Post. You'll have to drop it off at the
    > local shop because we don't do pick-ups from rural address that aren't
    > on a main road.
    >
    > No way, says I. Our house is 700 metres from the main road and the
    > shop is almost two kilometres out of our way - or almost four
    > kilometres round trip.
    >
    > The people at Dell Logistics told me to give Courier Post till Friday
    > to make the pick-up and, if they don't, then give them a call on
    > Monday and they'll take it from there.
    >
    > I imagine that Dell's NZ business is worth a fair bit to Courier Post.
    > But now that they're aware of how Courier Post is charging them extra
    > for what they believed were door-to-door rural deliveries, but not
    > making those deliveries, I'm hoping they will be reconsidering their
    > relationship with these assholes and looking at giving NZ Couriers

    Give em hell.

    Its time the Courier industry was given a good shake up.

    The Herald this morning had a story about a 'sign for' parcel left at the
    gate that was stolen.

    I've personally had several parcels left there, and in full view at the side
    door.

    And as for their bloody driving! park on the wrong side of the road, double
    park behind cars waiting to get out, even drive down the footpath. (couldn't
    believe my eyes when I saw that)

    Mind you it's not all the pbi, the dwebs at the top have a lot to answer for
    too.

    P.

    PeeCee, Feb 17, 2007
  6. Donchano

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:53:07 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thank God I paid extra for an extended warranty, 24/7 technical
    >>>assistance and 7 day onsite service.
    >>>
    >>>The first major was the motherboard. It had to be replaced when the
    >>>computer was around a week old. Next up was the DVD/CD R-RW drive
    >>>which crapped out and had to be replaced. Then, last Saturday, the
    >>>monitor fizzles out.
    >>>
    >>>The computer is less than six months old

    >> NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..
    >>

    >> Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD,

    >At full retail price, Charlie.
    >About a $1,000 for Vista Ultimate and around half that for Vista Premium.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    And who in his right mind would buy VISTA, Plus did I say VISTA..

    I was refering to XP that is still sold..

    Mathew Good, Feb 17, 2007
  7. Donchano

    > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:53:07 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano
    >>> <>

    >>> NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..
    >>>

    >>> Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD,

    >>At full retail price, Charlie.
    >>About a $1,000 for Vista Ultimate and around half that for Vista Premium.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > And who in his right mind would buy VISTA, Plus did I say VISTA..
    >
    > I was refering to XP that is still sold..

    You never mentioned XP either. You could've been talking about Linux the OS
    that you use.

    $500 of XP retail then.

    Better off buying a complete compatible PC with XP already on it included at
    a great discount to the maker of the PC.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 17, 2007
  8. Donchano

    Rob Guest

    > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:53:07 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano
    >>> <>

    >>> NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..
    >>>

    >>> Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD,

    >>At full retail price, Charlie.
    >>About a $1,000 for Vista Ultimate and around half that for Vista Premium.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > And who in his right mind would buy VISTA, Plus did I say VISTA..
    >
    > I was refering to XP that is still sold..

    Windows 2000 is better and less bloated. It is essentally XP without the
    candy.

    Rob, Feb 17, 2007
  9. Donchano

    EMB Guest

    Donchano wrote:

    > Long story short: the monitor was eventually delivered, but not to me.
    > Instead, it was left a the village shop because Courier Post
    > sub-contracts out rural deliveries to NZPost and NZPost doesn't do
    > rural deliveries to addresses that aren't close to the main road. Not
    > only that, they lazy fuckers charge extra for it.

    Worse yet, the bastards don't pay the shop for handling it either. I'm
    currently embroiled in an argument with them about the 40 or so parcels
    a week that they abandon at my shop and expect me to look after in
    return for absolutely zero money.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 17, 2007
  10. Donchano

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:56:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:53:07 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>>At full retail price, Charlie.
    >>>About a $1,000 for Vista Ultimate and around half that for Vista Premium.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> And who in his right mind would buy VISTA, Plus did I say VISTA..
    >>
    >> I was refering to XP that is still sold..

    >You never mentioned XP either. You could've been talking about Linux the OS
    >that you use.
    >
    >$500 of XP retail then.
    >
    >Better off buying a complete compatible PC with XP already on it included at
    >a great discount to the maker of the PC.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Gee are you so dumb, no its not a good idea at all, its far better to have the CD plus you can then
    make it as a Dual boot system, VISTA does not support Dual boot..

    Mathew Good, Feb 17, 2007
  11. Donchano

    Allistar Guest

    Mathew Good < wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thank God I paid extra for an extended warranty, 24/7 technical
    >>assistance and 7 day onsite service.
    >>
    >>The first major was the motherboard. It had to be replaced when the
    >>computer was around a week old. Next up was the DVD/CD R-RW drive
    >>which crapped out and had to be replaced. Then, last Saturday, the
    >>monitor fizzles out.
    >>
    >>The computer is less than six months old

    > NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..
    >

    > Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD, and
    > standard parts that can be replaced any were..

    Wouldn't you just download an ISO from the net?

    I agree with building your own though - choice is good. You pay for only
    what you want and nothing more.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 17, 2007
  12. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:56:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >> "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>> And who in his right mind would buy VISTA, Plus did I say
    >>> VISTA..
    >>>
    >>> I was refering to XP that is still sold..

    >> You never mentioned XP either. You could've been talking about
    >> Linux the OS that you use.
    >>
    >> $500 of XP retail then.
    >>
    >> Better off buying a complete compatible PC with XP already on it
    >> included at a great discount to the maker of the PC.

    > Gee are you so dumb, no its not a good idea at all, its far better to
    > have the CD plus you can then make it as a Dual boot system, VISTA
    > does not support Dual boot..

    What do you mean by that, Roger? Vista does support dual boot.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 17, 2007
  13. Donchano

    Peter Nield Guest

    > "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:53:07 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>>At full retail price, Charlie.
    >>>About a $1,000 for Vista Ultimate and around half that for Vista Premium.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> And who in his right mind would buy VISTA, Plus did I say VISTA..
    >>
    >> I was refering to XP that is still sold..

    > You never mentioned XP either. You could've been talking about Linux the
    > OS that you use.
    >
    > $500 of XP retail then.
    >
    > Better off buying a complete compatible PC with XP already on it included
    > at a great discount to the maker of the PC.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    If you are buying a new machine, a sensible option is to use the OEM
    editions, which cost significantly less:

    Windows XP Home OEM is $148
    XP Pro OEM $244

    Vista Home Basic OEM $149
    Vista Home Premium OEM $168.50
    Vista Business OEM $240
    Vista Ultimate OEM $302

    (price sources - pricespy.co.nz)

    Peter Nield, Feb 17, 2007
  14. On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 23:51:59 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > Worse yet, the bastards don't pay the shop for handling it either. I'm
    > currently embroiled in an argument with them about the 40 or so parcels
    > a week that they abandon at my shop and expect me to look after in
    > return for absolutely zero money.

    Did you sign to receive them?

    If not, then you have no responsibility for them and should not take
    custody of them.

    Advise CourierPost's general manager that they are currently dropping
    parcels in a location that is inappropriate, and that you will dispose of
    them from your property if CourierPost continues to do so - unless they
    wish to enter into a contract for you to look after them.

    Submit a proposed contract and indicate where and when you may be available
    to discuss this matter, and invite a discussion.

    Advise them that your offer will expire at XYZ date after which you will
    refuse admittance of those parcels into your shop, and in fact will dispose
    of those still in your shop.

    Rememeber - the sender is the person who should pay for the delivery of
    any item that the sender wishes to get delivered - and CourierPost should
    retain control of those items until they reach the recipient as mandated
    by the sender.

    And lets face it - who wants to pay to receive SPAM.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 18, 2007
  15. Donchano

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:30:17 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Mathew Good wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:56:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>> You never mentioned XP either. You could've been talking about
    >>> Linux the OS that you use.
    >>>
    >>> $500 of XP retail then.
    >>>
    >>> Better off buying a complete compatible PC with XP already on it
    >>> included at a great discount to the maker of the PC.

    >> Gee are you so dumb, no its not a good idea at all, its far better to
    >> have the CD plus you can then make it as a Dual boot system, VISTA
    >> does not support Dual boot..
    >>

    >What do you mean by that, Roger? Vista does support dual boot.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    XP Supports Dual booting like 98/XP or XP/Lunix

    VISTA does not, you will have to use a external program to do that , if VISTA will let you..?

    Mathew Good, Feb 18, 2007
  16. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:30:17 +1300, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mathew Good wrote:

    >>> Gee are you so dumb, no its not a good idea at all, its far
    >>> better to have the CD plus you can then make it as a Dual boot
    >>> system, VISTA does not support Dual boot..
    >>>

    >> What do you mean by that, Roger? Vista does support dual boot.

    > XP Supports Dual booting like 98/XP or XP/Lunix
    >

    > VISTA does not, you will have to use a external program to do that ,
    > if VISTA will let you..?

    Got a reference for that? Because I have lots of reference that say
    otherwise:

    http://lifehacker.com/software/top/...-boot-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-179906.php

    http://digg.com/software/HowTo_dual-boot_Windows_XP_and_Windows_Vista_-_Windows_Vista_Beta:_

    http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm

    There are hundreds more...

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 18, 2007
  17. On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:22:06 +1300, Mathew Good <mg wrote:

    >>What do you mean by that, Roger? Vista does support dual boot.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Cliff

    > XP Supports Dual booting like 98/XP or XP/Lunix
    >
    > VISTA does not, you will have to use a external program to do that , if
    > VISTA will let you..?

    No Micro$oft OS natively "supports dual booting" of itself but will
    happily live on a system that has multiple OSes installed in a
    dual/multiple boot setup.

    You will need to install the M$ OS first, and then install the other
    operating systems onto the PC. M$ OS installers will completely overwrite
    the MBR and remove any and all boot-loader configurations that you may
    have there.

    All M$ OSes can be loaded into a virtual machine, except for M$ Windows
    Vi$ta (excluding "ultimate"). Vi$ta inculdes a clause in its licence which
    prevents use of Vi$ta in a virtualised environment.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 18, 2007
  18. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:07:43 +1300, Mathew Good <
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thank God I paid extra for an extended warranty, 24/7 technical
    >>assistance and 7 day onsite service.
    >>
    >>The first major was the motherboard. It had to be replaced when the
    >>computer was around a week old. Next up was the DVD/CD R-RW drive
    >>which crapped out and had to be replaced. Then, last Saturday, the
    >>monitor fizzles out.
    >>
    >>The computer is less than six months old

    >NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..

    No one was asking for your opinion, but since you insist on giving it
    at the drop of a hat anyway, on what do you base that opinion?
    Personal experience? Professional experience? Or is this just another
    one of your "shoot from the lip" comments?

    >Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD, and standard parts that can
    >be replaced any were..

    A real OS CD??? So what's the Windows XPPro that came loaded on my
    computer and is on the CD that accompanied it?

    BTW - the word is "anywhere."

    Donchano, Feb 18, 2007
  19. Donchano

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:39:00 +1300, Donchano <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:07:43 +1300, Mathew Good <
    >magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:43 +1300, Donchano <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thank God I paid extra for an extended warranty, 24/7 technical
    >>>assistance and 7 day onsite service.
    >>>
    >>>The first major was the motherboard. It had to be replaced when the
    >>>computer was around a week old. Next up was the DVD/CD R-RW drive
    >>>which crapped out and had to be replaced. Then, last Saturday, the
    >>>monitor fizzles out.
    >>>
    >>>The computer is less than six months old

    >>NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..

    >No one was asking for your opinion, but since you insist on giving it
    >at the drop of a hat anyway, on what do you base that opinion?
    >Personal experience? Professional experience? Or is this just another
    >one of your "shoot from the lip" comments?
    >
    >>Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD, and standard parts that can
    >>be replaced any were..

    >A real OS CD??? So what's the Windows XPPro that came loaded on my
    >computer and is on the CD that accompanied it?
    >
    >BTW - the word is "anywhere."

    Branded Computers do not have a FULL CD at all and some do not even have a CD..

    May be you need to read some more so your brain is up to date..

    Mathew Good, Feb 18, 2007
  20. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:07:43 +1300, Mathew Good <
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:39:00 +1300, Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:07:43 +1300, Mathew Good <
    >>magnanimously proffered:

    >>>NO ONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER BUY A DELL..

    >>No one was asking for your opinion, but since you insist on giving it
    >>at the drop of a hat anyway, on what do you base that opinion?
    >>Personal experience? Professional experience? Or is this just another
    >>one of your "shoot from the lip" comments?
    >>
    >>>Its far better to get one made up for you, you that get a Real OS CD, and standard parts that can
    >>>be replaced any were..

    >>A real OS CD??? So what's the Windows XPPro that came loaded on my
    >>computer and is on the CD that accompanied it?
    >>
    >>BTW - the word is "anywhere."
    >>

    >Branded Computers do not have a FULL CD at all and some do not even have a CD..

    You're full of shit. My WinXPPro CD came with the "FULL" CD.

    I've also noticed that you have avoided answering my question about
    your opinion on buying a Dell. So I'll ask it again:

    What do you base that opinion? Personal experience? Professional
    experience? Or is this just another one of your "shoot from the lip"
    comments?

    >May be you need to read some more so your brain is up to date..

    Maybe you need to go back to school to learn basic English.

    Donchano, Feb 18, 2007