The safest airline in the world

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Barry Plant Doherty, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Is it still Qantas?

    Barry Plant Doherty, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Barry Plant Doherty wrote:
    > Is it still Qantas?

    Aeroflot.

    Xodik the Felcher-puker, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Barry Plant Doherty

    Billh Guest

    I would say Southwest Airlines here in the states as they have never had a
    crash in almost 10 million flights the most of any airline with out a crash.
    While Qantas has never had a crash they have only had about 1 million
    flights.

    http://flyingfans.tripod.com/airlineratings.html

    The worst SW ever had was to skid off a runway and stop 10 feet short of the
    pumps at a Shell gas station.

    Billh, Jul 27, 2004
  4. In article <4106c575$0$28200$>,
    "Billh" <> wrote:

    > I would say Southwest Airlines here in the states as they have never had a
    > crash in almost 10 million flights the most of any airline with out a crash.

    Hmm, remember that little incident in BUR a few years ago

    > While Qantas has never had a crash they have only had about 1 million
    > flights.

    Check again. A little incident in BKK end of 1999 or early 2001

    > http://flyingfans.tripod.com/airlineratings.html
    >
    > The worst SW ever had was to skid off a runway and stop 10 feet short of the
    > pumps at a Shell gas station.

    I believe the hull was written offf. Still a crash.

    Not the Karl Orff, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Barry Plant Doherty

    Parko Guest

    From: Barry Plant Doherty <>
    Things must be pretty quiet in the real estate business in Melbourne's
    northern suburbs...

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Barry Plant Doherty

    RAK Guest

    "Billh" <> wrote in message
    > I would say Southwest Airlines here in the states as they have never had a
    > crash in almost 10 million flights the most of any airline with out a

    crash.
    > While Qantas has never had a crash they have only had about 1 million
    > flights.

    But Qantas tend to fly larger planes and have much longer flights.
    If you measure it in flight miles or passenger miles maybe Qantas is
    "bigger".

    The reason they can both claim to be the safest is that neither has had a
    fatal crash, not they they have never had a crash. Qantas had a crash
    landing at Bangkok a few years back but no-one was killed. Probably SW and
    Qantas have other similar non-fatal accidents.

    Another measurement is whether that have had any total-loss accidents, where
    the plane was damaged beyond repair. I read that to avoid this statistic
    Qantas repaired the plane which crashed in BKK rather than write it off and
    buy another which would have been much cheaper.

    Anyway these statistics of rare events are not so meaningful as they can
    depend so much on a single incident.. Until the Paris crash Concorde was one
    of the "safest" planes in the world, having a zero accident record which is
    quite rare. After the accident the Concorde accident rate (deaths per number
    of flights) was one of the worst around, because the total number of
    Concorde flights was low compared to other planes.

    RAK, Jul 28, 2004
  7. "Not the Karl Orff" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bRPNc.1$>,
    > "Clint" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I would think that Air Canada would be up there as well.

    > Nah, at least 2 fatal crashes or events (AC proper) in the last 30-35
    > years. The last 2 incidentsthat come to mind are the DC-8 crash near
    > YYZ (hard landing, lost an engine, a/c exploded in air) and the DC-9
    > onboard fire at CVG(?).

    Though by incredible luck there wasn't a crash, I'd put the Gimly Glider
    down as a _very_ bad incident. Not as bad as the recent Azores Glider,
    different Canadian company.

    R J Carpenter, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Barry Plant Doherty

    Clint Guest

    I would think that Air Canada would be up there as well.

    Clint
    --
    Free Spirit Gallery - Exquisite Inuit (Eskimo) & Native American Indian Art
    http://www.FreeSpiritGallery.ca

    Clint, Jul 28, 2004
  9. In article <bRPNc.1$>,

    Not the Karl Orff, Jul 28, 2004
  10. Barry Plant Doherty

    Russ Guest

    Sorry But Your Wrong
    British Airways is by far the safest airline on planet earth and is also the
    biggest in the world.
    And they got that way by making sure arseholes with guns and bombs don't get
    on our planes.
    Security as always been at the top of there Itinerary were as before 9/11
    you Americans didn't know what Airport Security was, so get your facts
    straight before opening your bomb laden cargo hold.

    Have A Nice Day (BOOOOOOM)

    Russ, Jul 28, 2004
  11. Barry Plant Doherty

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Clint wrote:

    > I would think that Air Canada would be up there as well.

    Until they land :)

    Rick Merrill, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Blinky the Shark, Jul 29, 2004