The @rt of 00psh00ting :-*

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Arnaud de Rochefort, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. The term "oopshooting" was first used in 2003 by the Dutch photography
    enthusiast and art lover Rene Smaal.

    "An 00psh0t is a picture that was taken unintenionally. No more, no
    less.

    At its best, an 00psh0t is a stunning piece of art, taken by the
    camera and pure coincidence altogether. At its worst, it is just a
    piece of crap, hardly worth looking at. 00psh0ts have always been
    regarded as bad pictures, and the artistic value of at least some of
    them has never been recognized.

    In the old days of analog photography, 00psh0ts were simply thrown
    away, or not even printed at all. They lived their life, totally
    ignored, as negatives or unframed slides, put away in dark corners of
    dusty cupboards, never meant to reappear in some form or another.

    In our modern day digital area, the 00psh0t is threatened with
    distinction. Nowadays, their lifespan can be as short as it takes to
    find the "delete" button."

    See:

    http://oopshot.blogspot.com

    Arnaud de Rochefort, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Since I work as a photojournalist and shoot portraits for fun and a little
    profit I tend to try for sharp, properly lit photos. But the ones that get
    the most complements are the accidents. One of my bests was from when a kid
    flashed me with laser....and I flashed him with my camera. Great photo! A
    couple of times the battery was getting low and didn't recycle the flash as
    fast as I was used to...so the photo as blurred and dim...but the lights
    made traces across the frame. I just have to shut up and take the
    complements.

    Maybe we need a website where photos of this sort can be shown. BTW....good
    oops on your page.

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 20, 2004