THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
    fraction of a second apart.

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018

    In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.

    The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    she had a Gary Fong.

    If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:

    http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

    Annika1980, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Jul 7, 2:17 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    > my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser.  Check out these two pics taken a
    > fraction of a second apart.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >
    > In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    > my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    > able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    > Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    > get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
    >
    > The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    > diffuser.  Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    > Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    > she had a Gary Fong.
    >
    > If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
    >
    > http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

    A huge difference in the second pic. As you said the lighting is more
    even without harsh shadows, giving the overall pic a more pleasing
    result.
    The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.

    Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say. They should have
    hired you as the pro photographer.

    Congrats to the happy couple.

    Helen, Jul 7, 2008

  3. Annika1980

    Draco Guest

    On Jul 7, 2:17 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    > my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser.  Check out these two pics taken a
    > fraction of a second apart.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >
    > In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    > my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    > able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    > Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    > get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
    >
    > The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    > diffuser.  Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    > Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    > she had a Gary Fong.
    >
    > If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
    >
    > http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

    I Had to set those side by side to see the difference. The second one
    is a lot softer light. Yet some of the highlight are still a little
    blocked up on the cake. Having the Fong does cure the problem of the
    dark relatives hidding in the corners.
    Good capture of the moment and feelings. Hope they have a wonderful
    life ahead for them.

    Draco

    Draco, Jul 7, 2008
  4. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Jul 7, 2:17 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    > my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser.  Check out these two pics taken a
    > fraction of a second apart.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >
    > In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    > my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    > able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    > Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    > get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
    >
    > The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    > diffuser.  Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    > Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    > she had a Gary Fong.
    >
    > If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
    >
    > http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

    There is a huge difference in pic #2. As you said, the lighting is
    more even with no harsh shadows, giving an overall pleasing effect.
    The lighting was very difficult to work with. Your idea to rent the
    5D was good one, especially with all that great glass you have. The
    50mm f1.8 would have been ideal for some shots. It takes stunning
    portraits when using the 40D.
    But there is one mistake I must state, and that's they should have
    hired you to be the pro photographer.

    Congrats to the happy couple.

    Helen, Jul 7, 2008
  5. Annika1980

    Alienjones Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    > my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
    > fraction of a second apart.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >
    > In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    > my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    > able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    > Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    > get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
    >
    > The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    > diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    > Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    > she had a Gary Fong.
    >
    > If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
    >
    > http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

    Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't
    lit by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the
    best way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.

    Alienjones, Jul 8, 2008
  6. Annika1980

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Alienjones wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    >> my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
    >> fraction of a second apart.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >>
    >> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    >> my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    >> able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    >> Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    >> get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
    >>
    >> The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    >> diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    >> Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    >> she had a Gary Fong.
    >>
    >> If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
    >>
    >> http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html
    >>

    > Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't
    > lit by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the
    > best way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.

    Hey, Doug, nice reading comprehension!

    Did you miss the bit that said "In the first pic another person's flash
    fired"

    Can you get *anything* right??

    As for the images, I think the ideal shot is actually between the two -
    the first actually has a nicer 3d look and the second, although much
    better in softness and exposure, looks a little too flat to me.

    Mark Thomas, Jul 8, 2008
  7. Annika1980

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Alienjones" <> wrote in message

    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> ... Check out these two pics taken a
    >> fraction of a second apart.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >>
    >> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    >> my shutter tripped,

    > Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't lit
    > by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the best
    > way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.

    ROTFL indeed.
    Another one for the idiot file.

    Doug, are you functionally illiterate, or just plain stupid?
    Or maybe both?

    I can't wait for the court case.

    --
    Jeff R.
    (but I guess I'll have to)

    Jeff R., Jul 8, 2008
  8. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 7, 2:30 pm, Helen <> wrote:

    > The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.
    >
    > Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say.  They should have
    > hired you as the pro photographer.

    No way! I don't do weddings, especially family weddings.
    At least I don't get paid for them.

    Annika1980, Jul 8, 2008
  9. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Jul 7, 9:34 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > On Jul 7, 2:30 pm, Helen <> wrote:
    >
    > > The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.

    > > Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say.  They should have
    > > hired you as the pro photographer.

    > No way!  I don't do weddings, especially family weddings.
    > At least I don't get paid for them.

    I hear ya! I've done some family weddings but mostly school
    graduations. I found it boring as hell. I'd rather give up
    photography than do that the rest of my life! It's just not my bag.
    Helen

    Helen, Jul 9, 2008
  10. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Jul 8, 9:54 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 7/7/08 8:34 PM, in article
    > ,
    >
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 7, 2:30�pm, Helen <> wrote:

    > >> The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.

    > >> Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say. �They should have
    > >> hired you as the pro photographer.

    > > No way!  I don't do weddings, especially family weddings.
    > > At least I don't get paid for them.

    > Agreed. Stick with the wildlife and sports.
    >
    > That was NOT a good wedding picture, despite what "Helen" 'tells' you.

    FYI I didn't state whether it was a good or bad pic. I merely agreed
    that there was a huge difference between pic #1 & pic #2. ie: the
    lighting being more harsh and uneven, etc.

    Helen, Jul 9, 2008
  11. Annika1980 wrote:
    > Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    > my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
    > fraction of a second apart.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >
    > In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    > my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    > able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    > Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    > get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
    >
    > The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    > diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    > Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    > she had a Gary Fong.
    >
    > If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
    >
    > http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

    Ok. Had a look at the site you are spammimg. If anything it would make
    me take a contract out on Gary Fong on behalf of photographers
    everywhere. The first 'with flash' example shot is a bit harsh, but the
    with Lighsphere shot looks like someone who has owned Photoshop for all
    of ten minutes has discovered the filters menu and gone crazy. I could
    get a better result with a cardboard disposable camera lit with a pocket
    torch. I didn't know they made blur filters so intense.

    Don't worry Lil' Darlin' my Gary Fong envy was cured instantly.

    Thank you for taking the time to do that, and thank you for caring.

    Cal

    Cal I Fornicate, Jul 9, 2008
  12. Annika1980

    Draco Guest

    On Jul 8, 9:34 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 7/8/08 7:15 PM, in article
    > , "Helen"
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> No way!  I don't do weddings, especially family weddings.
    > >> At least I don't get paid for them.

    > > I hear ya!  I've done some family weddings but mostly school
    > > graduations.  I found it boring as hell.  I'd rather give up
    > > photography than do that the rest of my life!  It's just not my bag.
    > > Helen

    > Right, your bag is a #4 cargo,complete with a tube of Testor's...
    >
    > LOL! You are funny as shit, Anni!- Hide quoted text -

    George,
    That wasn't a nice thing to say about Ms Helen. Her "bag" is
    showning people in a very artistic light. Not as they are. But as they
    would be if they could. She has shown her style to be quite ceative.
    And a tube of Testor's would only ruin what she has worked so hard to
    achive.

    As for Bret, he does need to work on his people photography some.
    But he is far better than a lot of posters and lurkers to the NG in
    people photography, His other images beat the hell out of a lot of
    people.

    My two cents.

    Draco

    Draco, Jul 9, 2008
  13. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 7, 9:33 pm, "Jeff R." <> wrote:

    > >> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    > >> my shutter tripped,

    > > Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't lit
    > > by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the best
    > > way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.

    > ROTFL indeed.
    > Another one for the idiot file.

    Thomas Witte calls this "getting strobed."

    http://www.gophotography.net/tips/strobed.html

    Annika1980, Jul 9, 2008
  14. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Jul 9, 10:04 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 7/9/08 1:19 AM, in article
    > , "Helen"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 8, 9:54 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > >> On 7/7/08 8:34 PM, in article
    > >> ,

    > >> Agreed. Stick with the wildlife and sports.

    > >> That was NOT a good wedding picture, despite what "Helen" 'tells' you.

    > > FYI I didn't state whether it was a good or bad pic.  I merely agreed
    > > that there was a huge difference between pic #1 & pic #2.  ie:  the
    > > lighting being more harsh and uneven, etc.

    > Oh?
    >
    > And just what does "But there is one mistake I must state, and that's they
    > should have hired you to be the pro photographer." mean, Miss Helen?
    >
    > Maybe we should get our characters straight...

    I wasn't gushing about this particular work. But knowing how much
    effort and thought he would put into a serious job, I assumed the end
    results would be very pleasing. I've seen a few of his previous
    wedding shots and portraits and thought they were very good.

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/66285975

    Helen, Jul 9, 2008
  15. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Jul 9, 1:14 pm, Draco <> wrote:
    > On Jul 8, 9:34 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 7/8/08 7:15 PM, in article
    > > , "Helen"

    > > <> wrote:

    > > > I hear ya!  I've done some family weddings but mostly school
    > > > graduations.  I found it boring as hell.  I'd rather give up
    > > > photography than do that the rest of my life!  It's just not my bag..
    > > > Helen

    > > Right, your bag is a #4 cargo,complete with a tube of Testor's...

    > > LOL! You are funny as shit, Anni!- Hide quoted text -

    > George,
    >    That wasn't a nice thing to say about Ms Helen. Her "bag" is
    > showning people in a very artistic light. Not as they are. But as they
    > would be if they could. She has shown her style to be quite ceative.
    > And a tube of Testor's would only ruin what she has worked so hard to
    > achive.
    >
    >   As for Bret, he does need to work on his people photography some.
    > But he is far better than a lot of posters and lurkers to the NG in
    > people photography, His other images beat the hell out of a lot of
    > people.
    >
    > My two cents.
    >
    > Draco

    Thanks for your support, but actually the whole thing just opened my
    eyes wide to reality. Like a hard slap in the face.

    Helen, Jul 9, 2008
  16. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 8, 9:34 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:

    > Right, your bag is a #4 cargo,complete with a tube of Testor's...
    >
    > LOL! You are funny as shit, Anni!

    Ok, I guess I'm slow. I don't get it.
    What is a #4 cargo? And isn't Testor's model airplane glue or
    something? Or maybe paint for model airplanes? I seem to remember my
    brother using it.

    Annika1980, Jul 10, 2008
  17. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 9, 11:46 am, Cal I Fornicate <> wrote:

    > Ok. Had a look at the site you are spammimg. If anything it would make
    > me take a contract out on Gary Fong on behalf of photographers
    > everywhere. The first 'with flash' example shot is a bit harsh, but the
    > with Lighsphere shot looks like someone who has owned Photoshop for all
    > of ten minutes has discovered the filters menu and gone crazy. I could
    > get a better result with a cardboard disposable camera lit with a pocket
    > torch. I didn't know they made blur filters so intense.
    >
    > Don't worry Lil' Darlin' my Gary Fong envy was cured instantly.
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to do that, and thank you for caring.

    I could give a shit if you buy one or not. Your loss. My point is
    that it works.
    It softens the light (spreads it out more, actually) reducing harsh
    shadows. Whether this is a look you prefer or whether you prefer the
    harsher shadows is up to you. I've used most types of diffusers
    (tissue, softboxes, cards, simple bounced flash) and nothing else
    gives the same look.

    Annika1980, Jul 10, 2008
  18. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Jul 10, 12:02 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 7/10/08 10:04 AM, in article
    > ,
    >
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 8, 9:34 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:

    > >> Right, your bag is a #4 cargo,complete with a tube of Testor's...

    > >> LOL! You are funny as shit, Anni!

    > > Ok, I guess I'm slow.  I don't get it.
    > > What is a #4 cargo?  And isn't Testor's model airplane glue or
    > > something?  Or maybe paint for model airplanes? I seem to remember my
    > > brother using it.

    > I'm showing my age.
    >
    > When we were kids, glue sniffing was the thing to do. It got so bad you had
    > to be 18 to buy the stuff. #4 cargo was the favorite sized bag to sniff the
    > glue from. ZZ Top did a song called "The Testor's Twist".
    >
    > BTW: my apologizes to Miss Helen...

    "BTW: my apologizes to Miss Helen... "

    Thanks George.

    Helen, Jul 10, 2008
  19. Annika1980

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
    : http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    :
    : In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
    : my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
    : able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
    : Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
    : get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
    :
    : The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
    : diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
    : Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
    : she had a Gary Fong.

    Yeah, the flatter lighting is an improvement, although some might say it's
    almost too flat. But what occurs to me is that even the "low-budget
    photographer from Queensland" might have thought to tell the B&G to look at
    the camera (or at least at each other). And shouldn't we see the knife?

    I realize that "everything looks yellow to a jaundiced eye", but does *every*
    reference to wedding photography in this newsgroup have to serve as an
    opportunity to ritually bash Doug M? He certainly didn't screw up this shoot;
    presumably he was 10,000 miles away.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 13, 2008
  20. Annika1980

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980 <>
    > wrote:
    > : Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
    > : my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
    > : fraction of a second apart.
    > :
    > : http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
    > : http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
    >
    > I realize that "everything looks yellow to a jaundiced eye", but does
    > *every*
    > reference to wedding photography in this newsgroup have to serve as an
    > opportunity to ritually bash Doug M? He certainly didn't screw up this
    > shoot;
    > presumably he was 10,000 miles away.
    >
    > Bob

    Bob, you probably missed it, but Douggie took the opportunity to jump in
    very early in the thread tomake a stupid observation which demonstarted that
    he hadn't read the post. "Your flash must've been on a six-feet long pole"
    or words to that effect.

    Most attacks on Doug are defensive responses. This was one of those.

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., Jul 14, 2008