The response I received from MS about Intellipoint software for WinXP x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Wayne Wastier, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Thank you for using Microsoft Online Support My name is Rajkumar and I will
    be helping you today with the issue on Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.

    As I understand it, you would like to install a compatible version of
    IntelliPoint Software on a Windows XP 64-bit operating system, so that the
    additional features of the mouse can be accessed.

    I really can understand and appreciate your interest towards the Microsoft
    Hardware products. But please note that, there is no latest release of
    IntelliPoint software that is compatible with 64-bit operating system.

    The latest version of the IntelliPoint Software that was released is 5.2 and
    it is compatible only with 32-bit version of the Windows operating system.
    So at this stage, we may need to wait for the new release of the
    IntelliPoint Software, which might fix this compatibility issue.

    But we can't assure you with the exact date and time of the release, as we
    don't have any official information on the same. Since the product team is
    the one who decides on the next release of software's, we don't have any
    official information on the same. I hope you can understand it.

    You can keep track of the Microsoft new release of hardware's and software
    by referring to the following link.

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/default.mspx

    Since all product design modifications are often based on feedback from our
    customers, I have forwarded your feedback to our Product Team. At the same
    time, we encourage you to post your feedback at the following link.

    You may submit feedback to us via the web, email, fax or even write to us.
    For more information about the Microsoft Wish Program, please refer to the
    following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

    114491: How to Contact the Microsoft Wish Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=114491

    Microsoft's Feedback and Product Enhancement team welcomes suggestions and
    comments from users with special emphasis to newly released products for use
    in future products and possible modifications to existing ones. Microsoft is
    a customer driven company and we are greatly reliant on customers' fee
    dback to propel our products and services. We are thoroughly aware that
    people who actually use our products on a regular basis are better judges of
    how our products and related services can be improved. Bear in mind that
    such suggestions and comments previously lodged by customers were
    significant
    ly responsible for the release of updates, patches and new products.

    Though the basic functionality will work without the software, the extra
    features for the mouse will work only if the appropriate software is
    installed in the system. So at this stage, you can either use the basic
    functions or can opt for an refund for the device.

    I don't want to disappoint you by providing the refund option, but to let
    you know that the money spent on the product is never a waste. To return the
    product for a refund directly to Microsoft, contact Microsoft North American
    Retail Product Returns at (888) 673-8624, or visit the following Micros
    oft Web site to view information about the Money Back Guarantee policy:

    http://www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm

    Let me know if this information helps. If you have any concerns or queries,
    please feel free to write back.

    I will be waiting for your response.

    Best Regards,
    Rajkumar

    It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone know
    how to contact the product team that is responsible for Intellipoint
    Software at MSFT? Thanks.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Wayne Wastier

    NNBXX Guest

    Very polite response, but not really informative.

    NNBXX, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Yeah, I agree, very, very, very polite, gotta give him credit for that at
    least.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  4. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, I agree, very, very, very polite, gotta give him credit for that at
    > least.
    > --
    > Andre

    Yup. Just wish he would have directed me to one of the product team, so I
    could ask them what is going on.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 16, 2005
  5. "NNBXX" <> wrote in message
    > Very polite response, but not really informative.

    Yup, you can say that again. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 16, 2005
  6. Hello Wayne,
    That product team has received a lot of feedback and pressure on the issue.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Wayne Wastier" <>
    <Subject: Re: The response I received from MS about Intellipoint software
    for WinXP x64
    <Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:12:41 -0500
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <
    <"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    <> Yeah, I agree, very, very, very polite, gotta give him credit for that
    at
    <> least.
    <> --
    <> Andre
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 16, 2005
  7. <Gulp>

    --
    Alex Feinman
    ---

    Alex Feinman [MVP], Jul 16, 2005
  8. Isn't that the truth!

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 16, 2005
  9. How much pressure was applied? Because it seemed to have killed them. ;)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  10. Wayne Wastier

    DKI Guest

    Darrell would that mean they might start doing something about it or they
    still looking into it.

    Clearly there is need for the product team to start doing something about it
    if there was that much feedback and pressure on the issue.

    DKI, Jul 16, 2005
  11. Hello Peter,
    They have it under consideration.
    They aren't sharing any timelines with me so I don't what they might be.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "DKI" <>
    for WinXP x64
    <Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:14:41 +0100
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Darrell would that mean they might start doing something about it or they
    <still looking into it.
    <
    <Clearly there is need for the product team to start doing something about
    it
    <if there was that much feedback and pressure on the issue.
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    <> Hello Wayne,
    <> That product team has received a lot of feedback and pressure on the
    <> issue.
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Wayne Wastier" <>
    <> for WinXP x64
    <> <Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:12:41 -0500
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    <> <news:%23vVRZ$...
    <> <> Yeah, I agree, very, very, very polite, gotta give him credit for that
    <> at
    <> <> least.
    <> <> --
    <> <> Andre
    <> <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 16, 2005
  12. ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Wayne,
    > That product team has received a lot of feedback and pressure on the
    > issue.
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Give me an addy, and let's see what I can do. LOL :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 16, 2005
  13. Wayne Wastier

    DKI Guest

    Well all i can do is hope. Well for now fingers crossed and thanks.

    DKI, Jul 16, 2005
  14. "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in message
    <snip MSFT replay to question>
    > Rajkumar
    >

    > It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone know
    > how to contact the product team that is responsible for Intellipoint
    > Software at MSFT? Thanks.

    You have had an official response, why do you believe you need to contact a
    product group ?

    There is nothing more we (Microsoft) can tell you publicly (and yes we know
    there is need for drivers for this hardware).
    There is no x64 support currently and we do not have a publicly disclosable
    date for any x64 release of the drivers (should they be released).

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 16, 2005
  15. "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in message
    > <snip MSFT replay to question>
    >> Rajkumar
    >>

    >> It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone
    >> know how to contact the product team that is responsible for Intellipoint
    >> Software at MSFT? Thanks.
    >>

    > You have had an official response, why do you believe you need to contact
    > a product group ?
    >
    > There is nothing more we (Microsoft) can tell you publicly (and yes we
    > know there is need for drivers for this hardware).
    > There is no x64 support currently and we do not have a publicly
    > disclosable date for any x64 release of the drivers (should they be
    > released).
    >
    > --

    Mike, my response was a rhetorical response. (not really looking for a
    public answer on the NG, just showing my state of mind for the group)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 16, 2005
  16. Wayne Wastier

    John Barnes Guest

    Well, I hope they get of their duffs and do both intellitype and
    intellipoint. Looks like they may be the last hardware to provide 64-bit
    support. Why, oh why, didn't I buy Logitech.

    John Barnes, Jul 16, 2005
  17. "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I hope they get of their duffs and do both intellitype and
    > intellipoint. Looks like they may be the last hardware to provide 64-bit
    > support. Why, oh why, didn't I buy Logitech.

    Your sentiments are at the heart of my posts on this topic. Thank you John.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 16, 2005
  18. Wayne Wastier

    tawpgk Guest

    "...we do not have a publicly disclosable date for any x64 release of the
    drivers (should they be released)."

    Should they be released? Is that what is taking so much time? Are they just
    sitting around contemplating whether or not to
    update the drivers for X64? Why is it necessary for you to equivocate on
    this? It is not certain that drivers are forthcoming at some point in
    Redmond Time?

    The fact that the software wasn't available before or at the RTM speaks
    volumes IMHO. How complex can this code be for crying out loud! Its not like
    the product group had no idea that 64 bit addressing was on its way. Good
    software engineering should have minimized the potential impact anyway.

    I guess we are to expect that Microsoft will announce that it will be
    getting out of the PC hardware business soon. Why else would you not even
    attempt to serve your customers? How can we even expect for vendors to take
    64 bit driver support seriously if Microsoft itself does not even support
    its own hardware?

    --
    Tom

    tawpgk, Jul 16, 2005
  19. Don't worry Wayne, they get around to developing the drivers -- in the next
    century. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  20. DISCLAIMER: I have ZERO inside knowledge about MS hardware drivers or the
    people and issues involved in this particular mess. Any comments I might make
    are PURE speculation and guesswork, based on 15 years of writing about, and
    working with, MS operating systems.

    Like any large organization, MS is made up of many different groups, with
    different priorities and different resources. Clearly, the priorities for the
    hardware group don't match up with the priorities for the x64 OS group. I
    find it quite interesting to read the posts on this subject. Not what is
    said, but what isn't said. Or sometimes the exact wording of what is said.
    Doing that I would guess that the intelli-whatever group weren't terribly
    interested in doing drivers any time soon, or simply didn't have any one left
    in the group who actually could. When the storm from users here and in the
    other communities hit, they got told to get their act together. They are
    scrambling, and dealing with what has always, IMHO, been a buggy code base,
    and trying to do a driver as fast as they can. They are overloaded and
    resource starved because they also are probably being told they have to have
    LH compatible drivers up and running by that beta. They've become defensive
    and closed mouthed inside MS and refuse to commit to any date whatsoever
    outside their own team, probably because they missed their first commit date
    and are struggling with a difficult issue that they weren't counting on. And
    they have further imposed a "no comment" on anyone outside their team
    speculating.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 16, 2005