    processor to achieve a "pseudo-split?"
    I've used a few processors and have suspected I've heard
    some true differences but I've never been sure.

    rander3127, Oct 3, 2004

  2. rander3127 wrote:

    > Has anyone ever noticed any directionality or distinct
    > difference between these and the side surround channels
    > or is this merely like taking the previous surround channels
    > from a five channel system and running them through a Pro-Logic
    > processor to achieve a "pseudo-split?"
    > I've used a few processors and have suspected I've heard
    > some true differences but I've never been sure.

    Absolutely! Try Phantom Menace with the rear centers engaged
    during the pod race.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 3, 2004

  3. >Has anyone ever noticed any directionality or distinct
    >difference between these and the side surround channels
    >or is this merely like taking the previous surround channels
    >from a five channel system and running them through a Pro-Logic
    >processor to achieve a "pseudo-split?"
    >I've used a few processors and have suspected I've heard
    >some true differences but I've never been sure.

    Depends on the audio.

    If you are watching a movie that was encoded in Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES, the
    rear surround channels will have their own audio information. This is known as
    6.1 (Although there isn't a discrete rear surround channel, at least with
    DD-EX. Surround center is extracted through matrix decoding similar to how the
    center channel is retrieved for Dolby Pro Logic).

    Any receiver that is 6.1 will competently drive the center rear surround
    channel from DTS ES and DD-EX tracks. However, the rear center may not be used
    with 5.1 tracks. Either that, or the center rear will play both the surround
    right and left tracks along with the surround speakers. That's to say that a
    sound coming from the right surround may either not occur in the rear or may
    converge towards the rear center. Of course, this also depends on how you have
    your speakers placed in your listening environment and how your equipment is
    configured.

    There are receivers, such as my Sony STR-DA4ES or the Denon AVR-3805, with
    "7.1" channel capability. This means that the center rear surround is played
    on two rear speakers instead of one. While this isn't really 7.1 due to the
    fact that you don't actually have seven channels (you're only driving seven
    speakers with six channel audio not counting the LFE), there is a benefit to
    this particular configuration. When you are playing 5.1 material, the left
    rear and right rear drivers can work with the surround channels, with the left
    rear and surround working with surround left and the right rear and surround
    working with surround right. This is very ideal in situations where you want
    to be able to enjoy DD-EX and DTS ES but still wish to maintain the surround
    characteristics of a 5.1 track when using the rear speakers. It's also ideal
    for large rooms, which can help to fill gaps in the rear of the listening
    environment with any surround sound program, from Dolby Stereo to Dolby Digital
    EX.

    Under these particular circumstances, this assumes that you are just decoding
    and amplifiying without applying any kind of DSP effects to the sound. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 4, 2004