The *real* value of MCSE

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by John R, Jul 25, 2007.

  1. John R

    John R Guest

    I just thought I'd tell you guys about this.

    Recently, a local community college ran an ad for a network administrator.
    For the requirements they put that they wanted someone with a minimum of 2-5
    years experience in network administration for a multi-location business,
    MCSE, and preferrably heavily into security.

    Hey, that's right up my alley, no harm in talking. So I filled out their 15
    page application and submitted it in triplicate, etc, etc (The package
    ended up costing me about $2 in postage).

    I received a telephone call a couple days ago from their HR department.

    "Hi John, this is Bruce with xxxxx college. We wanted to let you know that
    you are the leading candidate for the network administrator position that we
    have available and we would be very interested in talking with you. By the
    way, we noticed your salary requirements in the application. We just wanted
    to let you know that this position will pay in the low to mid 30's which is
    significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are still
    interested."

    John R

    John R, Jul 25, 2007

  2. John R

    TheITGirl Guest

    >I just thought I'd tell you guys about this.
    >
    > Recently, a local community college ran an ad for a network administrator.
    > For the requirements they put that they wanted someone with a minimum of
    > 2-5 years experience in network administration for a multi-location
    > business, MCSE, and preferrably heavily into security.
    >
    > Hey, that's right up my alley, no harm in talking. So I filled out their
    > 15 page application and submitted it in triplicate, etc, etc (The package
    > ended up costing me about $2 in postage).
    >
    > I received a telephone call a couple days ago from their HR department.
    >
    > "Hi John, this is Bruce with xxxxx college. We wanted to let you know
    > that you are the leading candidate for the network administrator position
    > that we have available and we would be very interested in talking with
    > you. By the way, we noticed your salary requirements in the application.
    > We just wanted to let you know that this position will pay in the low to
    > mid 30's which is significantly less than you make right now, but we hope
    > you are still interested."
    >
    > John R

    Ah, but the real reward would be the knowledge that you would be serving
    your local community <g>..

    Seriously though, that's what really P's me off about job adverts. They
    hardly ever tell you what salary they're offering. Don't they realise
    they're wasting their own time as well as that of the applicants?

    I suspect it's because 9 times out of 10 employers will check out the salary
    the successful applicant is earning and then offer about 1-2K more - the
    minimum they need to tempt them away from their current employer.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Jul 25, 2007

  3. John R

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> say in

    > which is
    > significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are still
    > totally stupid."

    I fixed thier quote

    - I'm not arrogant, I'm RIGHT!

    Neil, Jul 25, 2007
  4. Thats college. Sadly it works that way. My sister teaches at a state school
    and I easily make more than twice her salary, and then some perhaps.

    --
    ..rev

    accepting it"
    ~Aristotle

    Save 20% off any Microsoft MCP Exam when testing with Pearson VUE. Use
    Discount code: MSUU7C1E9359

    Register on-line @ vue.com
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Jul 25, 2007
  5. "Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > did you hear "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> say in
    >
    > > which is
    > > significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are still
    > > totally stupid."
    > >

    > I fixed thier quote
    >
    > --
    > The InterNeil "V2 w/tabbed browsing & decreased verbosity" MCNGP Triple X
    >
    > - I'm not arrogant, I'm RIGHT!

    Now see, that was funny. Even if "their" was misspelled.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 25, 2007
  6. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <>
    prattled ceaselessly in news:#:

    >> did you hear "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> say in
    >>
    >> > which is
    >> > significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are
    >> > still totally stupid."
    >> >

    >> I fixed thier quote
    >>

    > Now see, that was funny. Even if "their" was misspelled.

    I think his spolling adds something to make it more amusing.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jul 25, 2007
  7. John R

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]"
    <> say in news:#5SMj3szHHA.1184
    @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

    > "their" was misspelled.

    no it wasn't, we are talking about "college" here...

    - I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.

    Neil, Jul 25, 2007
  8. John R

    Neil Guest

    did you hear catwalker63 <> say in

    > I think his spolling adds something to make it more amusing.

    part of my charm...

    you know you want me...

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    ....to spell properly...

    - Make friends with SYSOPs: [O]perator at 3:00 a.m.

    Neil, Jul 25, 2007