    Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.

    The long term benefits would be massive.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 11, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Crash Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >
    > NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >
    > Rural areas can have wireless.
    >
    > The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    > service providers.
    >
    > Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    > enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >
    > The long term benefits would be massive.

    I am genuinely interested in what it is that you base your suggestions on.
    Exactly why is broadband so critical?

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 11, 2006

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >
    >NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >
    >Rural areas can have wireless.
    >
    >The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    >service providers.
    >
    >Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    >enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >
    >The long term benefits would be massive.

    You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
    and mine instead?

    Fred Dagg, Apr 11, 2006
  4. > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >>
    >> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >>
    >> Rural areas can have wireless.
    >>
    >> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    >> service providers.
    >>
    >> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    >> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >>
    >> The long term benefits would be massive.

    > I am genuinely interested in what it is that you base your suggestions on.
    > Exactly why is broadband so critical?
    >
    > Crash.

    How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives playing
    WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think of broadband
    as a necessity.

    1. Water
    2. Food
    3. Shelter
    4. Broadband

    The long term benefits would be massive... files, you could download an
    entire season at a time!

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Apr 11, 2006
  5. "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >>
    >> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >>
    >> Rural areas can have wireless.
    >>
    >> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    >> service providers.
    >>
    >> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    >> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >>
    >> The long term benefits would be massive.

    > I am genuinely interested in what it is that you base your suggestions on.
    > Exactly why is broadband so critical?
    >
    > Crash.

    I could tell you, but, the fact you even ask the question is indicative of
    your foresight.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 11, 2006
  6. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >>
    >>NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >>
    >>Rural areas can have wireless.
    >>
    >>The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    >>service providers.
    >>
    >>Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    >>enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >>
    >>The long term benefits would be massive.
    >>

    > You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
    > and mine instead?

    yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve a say
    in the spending.

    unfortunately, the govt is mostly intent on taking my money and giving it to
    othe people.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 11, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    David Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >>>
    >>> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >>>
    >>> Rural areas can have wireless.
    >>>
    >>> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    >>> service providers.
    >>>
    >>> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    >>> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >>>
    >>> The long term benefits would be massive.
    >>>

    >> You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
    >> and mine instead?

    > yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve a say
    > in the spending.

    No you don't. That's not a democracy.

    > unfortunately, the govt is mostly intent on taking my money and giving it to
    > othe people.

    People who might actually need it.

    David, Apr 11, 2006
  8. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > The govt would obviously need to finance this.

    I can see the New Right morons shrieking about their taxes paying for your
    broadband service.

    And I can see Telecom rubbing its hands with glee at the prospect of
    purchasing a cheap fibre optic network off the government.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
    sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 11, 2006
  9. "David" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    >>> <> exclaimed:

    >>> You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
    >>> and mine instead?

    >> yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve a
    >> say in the spending.
    >>

    > No you don't. That's not a democracy.
    >
    >> unfortunately, the govt is mostly intent on taking my money and giving it
    >> to othe people.

    > People who might actually need it.

    As do many people who rely on my cash to support their drinking and gambling
    habits.

    As do many people whose long term lifestyles are dependent on squeezing as
    much cash from the benefits system as possible.

    Or , are you referring to the labour tv ad showing the rich family living in
    an exclusive auckland suburb whose kids have ipods etc...?

    Anyway, that is off topic. Those people will remain poor while NZ buries
    it's head towards 3rd world status. In fact, many previously 3rd world
    economies are now surpassing ours.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 11, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in

    > How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives
    > playing WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think
    > of broadband as a necessity.
    >
    > 1. Water
    > 2. Food
    > 3. Shelter
    > 4. Broadband

    Don't be silly!

    You need Power too, otherwise your gadgets would not work.

    1. Water
    2. Food
    3. Shelter
    4. Power
    5. Broadband

    Those are the main necessities in life.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 11, 2006
  11. "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in
    >
    >> How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives
    >> playing WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think
    >> of broadband as a necessity.
    >>
    >> 1. Water
    >> 2. Food
    >> 3. Shelter
    >> 4. Broadband

    > Don't be silly!
    >
    > You need Power too, otherwise your gadgets would not work.
    >
    > 1. Water
    > 2. Food
    > 3. Shelter
    > 4. Power
    > 5. Broadband
    >
    > Those are the main necessities in life.

    Roads/Hospitals/schools etc... There are lots of infrastructural entities
    and broadband should be one of them.

    Remember what the world was like pre-internet? No access to information
    other than from overpaid professionals?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 11, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    SNOman Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >>>
    >>> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >>>
    >>> Rural areas can have wireless.
    >>>
    >>> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    >>> service providers.
    >>>
    >>> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    >>> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >>>
    >>> The long term benefits would be massive.
    >>>

    >> You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
    >> and mine instead?

    > yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve a say
    > in the spending.

    8><

    I'm sure I sponsor an entire street in a suburb in a town located
    somewhere in Northland ;-)

    SNOman, Apr 11, 2006
  13. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:02:05 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > As do many people who rely on my cash to support their drinking and gambling
    > habits.

    Is that really what most of your family does?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 11, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <WzC_f.12341$>,
    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote:

    > Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >
    > NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >
    > Rural areas can have wireless.
    >
    > The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    > service providers.
    >
    > Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    > enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.

    InSpire in palmerston north are laying Fibre, they have I think done
    most of the CBD and are looking at getting fibre into peoples homes now
    too.

    whoisthis, Apr 11, 2006
  15. Hi there,

    MarkH wrote:
    > "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in
    >

    >>How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives
    >>playing WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think
    >>of broadband as a necessity.
    >>
    >>1. Water
    >>2. Food
    >>3. Shelter
    >>4. Broadband

    > Don't be silly!
    >
    > You need Power too, otherwise your gadgets would not work.
    >
    > 1. Water
    > 2. Food
    > 3. Shelter
    > 4. Power
    > 5. Broadband

    Agreed, although here in Brisbane my No.5 reads thus...

    5. Free upgrade from 1500/256 to 24000/1000, retaining the
    same 20GB cap (with throttling over that), and $49.95
    per month cost. Available in a few days...

    :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 11, 2006
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <443b5564$>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > MarkH wrote:
    > > "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in
    > >

    > >>How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives
    > >>playing WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think
    > >>of broadband as a necessity.
    > >>
    > >>1. Water
    > >>2. Food
    > >>3. Shelter
    > >>4. Broadband

    > > Don't be silly!
    > >
    > > You need Power too, otherwise your gadgets would not work.
    > >
    > > 1. Water
    > > 2. Food
    > > 3. Shelter
    > > 4. Power
    > > 5. Broadband

    > Agreed, although here in Brisbane my No.5 reads thus...
    >
    > 5. Free upgrade from 1500/256 to 24000/1000, retaining the
    > same 20GB cap (with throttling over that), and $49.95
    > per month cost. Available in a few days...
    >
    > :)

    Perhaps they will offer that in Auckland where the population density
    makes that profitable.

    whoisthis, Apr 11, 2006
  17. "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > MarkH wrote:
    >> "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in
    >>>How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives
    >>>playing WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think
    >>>of broadband as a necessity.
    >>>
    >>>1. Water
    >>>2. Food
    >>>3. Shelter
    >>>4. Broadband

    >> Don't be silly!
    >>
    >> You need Power too, otherwise your gadgets would not work.
    >>
    >> 1. Water
    >> 2. Food
    >> 3. Shelter
    >> 4. Power
    >> 5. Broadband

    > Agreed, although here in Brisbane my No.5 reads thus...
    >
    > 5. Free upgrade from 1500/256 to 24000/1000, retaining the
    > same 20GB cap (with throttling over that), and $49.95
    > per month cost. Available in a few days...
    >
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    > Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    > spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Assuming you mean ADSL2, that is old technology.

    Fibre would be the ultimate right?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 11, 2006
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    shannon Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    >>> <> exclaimed:

    >>> You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
    >>> and mine instead?

    >> yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve
    >> a say in the spending.
    >>

    > 8><
    >
    > I'm sure I sponsor an entire street in a suburb in a town located
    > somewhere in Northland ;-)

    Well seeing as they don't have to work, you might as well buy them a
    phat internet service as well. ;-)

    shannon, Apr 11, 2006
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    Crash Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
    >>>
    >>> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
    >>>
    >>> Rural areas can have wireless.
    >>>
    >>> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
    >>> service providers.
    >>>
    >>> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
    >>> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
    >>>
    >>> The long term benefits would be massive.

    >> I am genuinely interested in what it is that you base your suggestions on.
    >> Exactly why is broadband so critical?
    >>
    >> Crash.

    > I could tell you, but, the fact you even ask the question is indicative of
    > your foresight.

    As far as I can tell broadband is no more than a nice-to-have luxury when it
    comes to domestic internet usage. The fact that I even ask the question could
    also indicate that I am analytical by nature and assume nothing on this subject.
    You posted the article above - I would like you to explain, in your words,
    exactly how you arrived at the conclusion that 'broadband is a critical
    infrastructure component' and that taxpayer-subsidised access would produce
    'massive long term benefits'. I too am a taxpayer and would like to know
    exactly why you propose taxes be spent in this way.

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 11, 2006
  20. Hi there,

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Stephen Williams" <> wrote in

    >>>Don't be silly!
    >>>
    >>>You need Power too, otherwise your gadgets would not work.
    >>>
    >>>1. Water
    >>>2. Food
    >>>3. Shelter
    >>>4. Power
    >>>5. Broadband

    >>Agreed, although here in Brisbane my No.5 reads thus...
    >>
    >>5. Free upgrade from 1500/256 to 24000/1000, retaining the
    >> same 20GB cap (with throttling over that), and $49.95
    >> per month cost. Available in a few days...

    > Assuming you mean ADSL2, that is old technology.
    >
    > Fibre would be the ultimate right?

    It doesn't matter how the data is delivered; what matters to me
    is that it *is* delivered, at a *respectable* rate of knots, and
    at a *competitive* price. The ADSL2+ account I'm hoping to go to
    is not the cheapest on offer - I can get ADSL2+ for $29.95 month,
    but with a lower cap, and less webspace, still throttled rather
    than charged for over-cap data...

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 11, 2006