The REAL reason we have new Po$t Code$

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nihil, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Nihil

    Nihil Guest

    Imagine how many business customer databases are going to have to be
    updated. NZ Po$t (or should I say the Govt??) is going to make a mint!

    - Nihil

    Read more: http://aardvark.co.nz/

    "However, it appears that if you want this data in a format more suited to
    automating the process of a database update, you're going to have to pay up
    to $18,000 for the privilege."

    "It all sounds kind of crazy doesn't it -- until you remember that NZ Post
    is really just a government department, so every penny it collects over and
    above its own operating costs represents extra tax-take by that
    government."
    Nihil, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Nihil

    peterwn Guest

    Nihil wrote:

    > "However, it appears that if you want this data in a format more suited to
    > automating the process of a database update, you're going to have to pay up
    > to $18,000 for the privilege."

    Except AFAIK the database is not just the streets and bounds of the new
    postcode areas but contains every valid mailing address so that mass
    users such as utility companies can check that their mailing lists and
    billing databases contain valid addresses.
    peterwn, Jun 29, 2006

  3. Nihil

    Steven H Guest

    Hello peterwn,

    > Except AFAIK the database is not just the streets and bounds of the
    > new postcode areas but contains every valid mailing address

    normally Bruce makes some sence but this is just a beatup.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek
    Steven H, Jun 29, 2006
  4. Nihil

    IRO Guest

    In article <mk6alrofd5j2.jnakf90n0jj$>,
    Nihil <> wrote:

    > Imagine how many business customer databases are going to have to be
    > updated. NZ Po$t (or should I say the Govt??) is going to make a mint!
    >
    > - Nihil
    >

    > Read more: http://aardvark.co.nz/
    >
    > "However, it appears that if you want this data in a format more suited to
    > automating the process of a database update, you're going to have to pay up
    > to $18,000 for the privilege."

    There appears to be some confusion as to exactly what you get for $18K
    and how much Jo Average would need to pay to get a useful database.

    Also, what massaging would be needed to convert the free(?) version
    available for downloading to something useful (ignoring the copyright
    issues of course)

    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)
    IRO, Jun 29, 2006
  5. Nihil

    Elsan Shoop Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > Nihil wrote:
    >
    >> "However, it appears that if you want this data in a format more suited
    >> automating the process of a database update, you're going to have to pay
    >> up
    >> to $18,000 for the privilege."
    >>

    > Except AFAIK the database is not just the streets and bounds of the new
    > postcode areas but contains every valid mailing address so that mass
    > users such as utility companies can check that their mailing lists and
    > billing databases contain valid addresses.

    So what if I assert my copyright in my address, which contains my name, the
    name and address of my house, and is an item of personal information I don't
    want to see published.

    If the post office is going to charge people to see this, I want my cut.

    elsan shoop
    "The Scutters"
    26a No Fixed Abode
    Lower Cryptotia
    9871 State of Utter Disrepair
    Elsan Shoop, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Nihil

    Jo Guest

    "Nihil" <> wrote in message
    > Imagine how many business customer databases are going to have to be
    > updated. NZ Po$t (or should I say the Govt??) is going to make a mint!

    No it means we will no longer get mail for the other 4 streets in the outer
    region with the same name. Not only will it solve problem such as this but
    also when rural delivery areas have the same district names. An example
    would be Tirohanga Road, Tirohanga. From that there is Tirohanga
    Road,Tirohanga, Atiamuri; Tirohanga Rd, Tirohanga Opotiki and Tirohanga
    Road, Tirohanga, Lower Hutt. All in entirely different areas and regions but
    easily confused mail-wise. As for me, do you know how many Alexander Roads
    there are in the Wellington region?
    Jo, Jun 29, 2006
  7. Nihil

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    Nihil wrote:

    > Imagine how many business customer databases are going to have to be
    > updated. NZ Po$t (or should I say the Govt??) is going to make a mint!
    >
    > - Nihil
    > http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php
    >

    > Read more: http://aardvark.co.nz/
    >
    > "However, it appears that if you want this data in a format more suited to
    > automating the process of a database update, you're going to have to pay
    > up to $18,000 for the privilege."

    > "It all sounds kind of crazy doesn't it -- until you remember that NZ Post
    > is really just a government department, so every penny it collects over
    > and above its own operating costs represents extra tax-take by that
    > government."

    ......and less need to spend more tax dollars.

    It's all our money. The error in the thinking of the author is that he
    doesn't seem to consider him to have any stake in "the government".

    Wrong...........
    s.te.v.e., Jun 30, 2006
  8. Nihil

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    Elsan Shoop wrote:

    > So what if I assert my copyright in my address, which contains my name,
    > the name and address of my house, and is an item of personal information I
    > don't want to see published.
    >
    > If the post office is going to charge people to see this, I want my cut.

    The law has a different view of your address. It isn't your property.
    s.te.v.e., Jun 30, 2006
  9. Nihil

    Redbaiter Guest

    > > "It all sounds kind of crazy doesn't it -- until you remember that NZ Post
    > > is really just a government department, so every penny it collects over
    > > and above its own operating costs represents extra tax-take by that
    > > government."

    > .....and less need to spend more tax dollars.
    >
    > It's all our money.

    Spoken like a true communist dirt bag.. **** off to Cuba you
    totalitarian thieving arsehole, and take your fucked up
    troglodytic ideas with you.
    Redbaiter, Jun 30, 2006
  10. Nihil

    Philip Guest

    s.te.v.e. wrote:
    > Elsan Shoop wrote:
    >
    >> So what if I assert my copyright in my address, which contains my name,
    >> the name and address of my house, and is an item of personal information I
    >> don't want to see published.
    >>
    >> If the post office is going to charge people to see this, I want my cut.

    > The law has a different view of your address. It isn't your property.

    So if the OP doesn't own the copyright in his rather improbable address,
    who do you say does, and how do they come to own it?

    philip
    Philip, Jun 30, 2006
  11. Nihil

    Shane Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > s.te.v.e. wrote:
    >> Elsan Shoop wrote:
    >>
    >>> So what if I assert my copyright in my address, which contains my name,
    >>> the name and address of my house, and is an item of personal information
    >>> I don't want to see published.
    >>>
    >>> If the post office is going to charge people to see this, I want my cut.

    >> The law has a different view of your address. It isn't your property.
    >>

    > So if the OP doesn't own the copyright in his rather improbable address,
    > who do you say does, and how do they come to own it?
    >
    > philip

    The local council would own the street names wouldnt they?
    And they gave each block of land on that street a number via surveying, so
    again its theirs

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Jun 30, 2006
  12. Nihil

    Philip Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >
    >> s.te.v.e. wrote:

    >>> The law has a different view of your address. It isn't your property.
    >>>

    >> So if the OP doesn't own the copyright in his rather improbable address,
    >> who do you say does, and how do they come to own it?
    >>
    >> philip

    > The local council would own the street names wouldnt they?
    > And they gave each block of land on that street a number via surveying, so
    > again its theirs

    Well where I live the council didn't give out street numbers and thinks
    the road called one thing at one end, and a slightly different thing at
    the other.

    But I don't see how the council gets copyright over my name, or any
    name I choose to give my house, or the name of the district, which has
    been settled ujder its present name for at least 800 years and possibly
    more.

    Surely this kind of stuff is public domain - meaning that nobody can
    assert copyright in it?

    Philip
    Philip, Jun 30, 2006
  13. Nihil

    aka Bob Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:01:32 +1200, Redbaiter <>
    ranted:

    >> > "It all sounds kind of crazy doesn't it -- until you remember that NZ Post
    >> > is really just a government department, so every penny it collects over
    >> > and above its own operating costs represents extra tax-take by that
    >> > government."

    >> .....and less need to spend more tax dollars.
    >>
    >> It's all our money.

    >Spoken like a true communist dirt bag.. **** off to Cuba you
    >totalitarian thieving arsehole, and take your fucked up
    >troglodytic ideas with you.

    So, if tax money in all its guises doesn't belong to the tax payer,
    who does it belong to in your opinion?
    aka Bob, Jun 30, 2006
  14. Nihil

    Shane Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Philip wrote:

    >>> So if the OP doesn't own the copyright in his rather improbable address,
    >>> who do you say does, and how do they come to own it?
    >>>
    >>> philip

    >> The local council would own the street names wouldnt they?
    >> And they gave each block of land on that street a number via surveying,
    >> so again its theirs
    >>

    > Well where I live the council didn't give out street numbers and thinks
    > the road called one thing at one end, and a slightly different thing at
    > the other.
    >
    > But I don't see how the council gets copyright over my name, or any
    > name I choose to give my house, or the name of the district, which has
    > been settled ujder its present name for at least 800 years and possibly
    > more.
    >
    > Surely this kind of stuff is public domain - meaning that nobody can
    > assert copyright in it?
    >
    > Philip

    Thats probably what really happens

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Jun 30, 2006
  15. s.te.v.e. wrote:
    > The law has a different view of your address. It isn't your property.

    Since we're talking property rights, here's an even more surprising
    fact. You have no legal property rights in your body.

    It is illegal for you (or anyone else) to sell bits of your body, and
    it is illegal to buy bits of people's bodies.

    Therefore, no property rights in live human bodies.

    Not the same with dead bodies. But then you're not around to complain
    about that are you?
    Tony Charlton, Jun 30, 2006
  16. On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:06:03 +1200, Philip <> wrote
    in <news:44a4b366$>:

    > But I don't see how the council gets copyright over my name, or any
    > name I choose to give my house, or the name of the district, which has
    > been settled ujder its present name for at least 800 years and possibly
    > more.
    >
    > Surely this kind of stuff is public domain - meaning that nobody can
    > assert copyright in it?

    You mean like a lot of things that are public domain (e.g., airwaves) that
    nobody can realistically claim and assert owership of, but Hori is doing
    so anyway.

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 30, 2006
  17. Nihil

    Redbaiter Guest

    > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:01:32 +1200, Redbaiter <>
    > ranted:

    > >> .....and less need to spend more tax dollars.
    > >>
    > >> It's all our money.

    > >Spoken like a true communist dirt bag.. **** off to Cuba you
    > >totalitarian thieving arsehole, and take your fucked up
    > >troglodytic ideas with you.

    > So, if tax money in all its guises doesn't belong to the tax payer,
    > who does it belong to in your opinion?

    Money belongs first of all to the individual who earned it. If
    you don't understand such a simple concept, perhaps you should
    **** off to Cuba with Withers.
    Redbaiter, Jun 30, 2006
  18. On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:46:46 +1200, Redbaiter <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:01:32 +1200, Redbaiter <>
    >> ranted:

    >> >Spoken like a true communist dirt bag.. **** off to Cuba you
    >> >totalitarian thieving arsehole, and take your fucked up
    >> >troglodytic ideas with you.

    >> So, if tax money in all its guises doesn't belong to the tax payer,
    >> who does it belong to in your opinion?
    >>

    >Money belongs first of all to the individual who earned it. If
    >you don't understand such a simple concept, perhaps you should
    >**** off to Cuba with Withers.

    I understood that concept even before I started paying taxes in 1956.
    From your previous comments I wasn't sure you understood, which is why
    I asked. Then crude and boorish rants like yours are pretty dense and
    I don't see any reason to read any more of them.

    Plonk.
    Robert Feigel, Jun 30, 2006
  19. In article <>, "s.te.v.e." <> wrote:
    >Elsan Shoop wrote:
    >
    >> So what if I assert my copyright in my address, which contains my name,
    >> the name and address of my house, and is an item of personal information I
    >> don't want to see published.
    >>
    >> If the post office is going to charge people to see this, I want my cut.

    >The law has a different view of your address. It isn't your property.

    And my view says my address is indeed my "property" ... or at the least,
    information they have gathered for a purpose and which they must not use for
    a different one.
    If NZ post start to sell mine, they will quickly work out that it is not
    profitable at all ... their choice. :)

    Now ... if I can just stop transport NZ selling that info ... :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 3, 2006
  20. Nihil

    Redbaiter Guest

    > Now ... if I can just stop transport NZ selling that info ... :)

    What the **** are you doing reading and writing usenet in work
    time you useless bludger???
    Redbaiter, Jul 3, 2006