The real POINT with Blue Ray and HD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Walter Traprock, Jan 10, 2008.

  1. Is that it is usually off-topic in this newsgroup!
    Have you noticed that traffic in this newsgroup has
    nearly disappeared since, when, in the past, it was
    announced that HD-DVD/BlueRay was projected to be
    released in future? It's like, DVD is no longer
    new-fangled! No longer cutting edge! It is now
    retro-primitive! The never-ending battle to not
    care what is on the tube but have it in the very
    latest style continues forever!

    By the way, the most SEVERE picture problem with
    "home" (as well as office, stores, mechanics,
    restaurants, etc.,) video is not lack of pixels,
    but the presentation of 1.33 content as 1.77 ratio
    in widescreen TV sets. The pictorial result is so
    "bent", so warped, so squished, it is just
    intolerable. And since old TV and old movies aren't
    going to disappear anytime soon, the problem is
    scheduled to remain.

    Last DVD watched: Madame Sin, oops, that's a VHS
    rental. OK, I think it was the best of not the nine
    o'clock news.

    Walter Traprock, Jan 10, 2008

  2. Walter Traprock

    Richard C. Guest

    "Walter Traprock" <> wrote in message

    > By the way, the most SEVERE picture problem with
    > "home" (as well as office, stores, mechanics,
    > restaurants, etc.,) video is not lack of pixels,
    > but the presentation of 1.33 content as 1.77 ratio
    > in widescreen TV sets. The pictorial result is so
    > "bent", so warped, so squished, it is just
    > intolerable. And since old TV and old movies aren't
    > going to disappear anytime soon, the problem is
    > scheduled to remain.

    ==============================
    Strange....I have no problem on my widescreen set.
    When I watch 1.33 it remains 1.33

    =========================

    Richard C., Jan 11, 2008

  3. Richard C. wrote:

    > "Walter Traprock" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> By the way, the most SEVERE picture problem with
    >> "home" (as well as office, stores, mechanics,
    >> restaurants, etc.,) video is not lack of pixels,
    >> but the presentation of 1.33 content as 1.77 ratio
    >> in widescreen TV sets. The pictorial result is so
    >> "bent", so warped, so squished, it is just
    >> intolerable. And since old TV and old movies aren't
    >> going to disappear anytime soon, the problem is
    >> scheduled to remain.
    >>

    > ==============================
    > Strange....I have no problem on my widescreen set.
    > When I watch 1.33 it remains 1.33

    Depends on whether he's referring to the set or to the video player:

    If it's the set, um, try converting the settings.
    If it's video, some players can't convert, and automatically stretch
    everything shown in 480i into widescreen...
    While other players, such as Sony's, already plan or have settings to
    switch back and forth between, say, old movies with widescreen DVD menus.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 11, 2008