THE RAPTURE is now shipping

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    The street date is this Tuesday 11/2; I got a note from
    BestPrices.com that my pre-ordered copy shipped Friday.

    This cult film deserves more attention than it got. It's one of
    those movies that gets under your skin for days after you see it.
    Maybe one way to hook you is to say that it was David Duchovny's big
    role before /The X-Files/.

    The plot, roughly: Mimi Rogers is a telephone operator by day, major
    slut by night. She and her boyfriend prowl airport bars and the like
    picking up other couples to have sex with.

    She's disenchanted with her life, and one day some Jesus freaks give
    her a Bible, and she becomes born again. I won't tell you more,
    because it would all be spoilers, except to tell you that the title
    refers to what some Christians believe, that just before the
    Apocalypse the true believers will be caught up bodily into heaven,
    leaving the sinners to stew on earth.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
    gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
    fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry
    Stan Brown, Oct 31, 2004

  2. I think it's a great film, too. Is there going to be a Tolkin commentary on it?

    The third film in his "L.A. yuppie" trilogy, THE NEW AGE, still hasn't been
    announced for DVD, but it's available on VHS.
    Vlvetmorning98, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Vlvetmorning98" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I think it's a great film, too. Is there going to be a Tolkin commentary on it?

    Yes, according to
    > http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/794043490828IE.html?id=uFrNhHeh

    "Additional Release Material:
    "---Audio Commentary - 1. Michael Tolin [sic] (Director), Mimi
    Rogers "(Star), David Duchovny (Star), Patrick Bauchau (Star)"

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
    Stan Brown, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Stan Brown

    Del March Guest

    Del March, Oct 31, 2004
  5. >From: Stan Brown

    >Maybe one way to hook you is to say that it was David Duchovny's big
    >role before /The X-Files/.

    No the hook is mimi rogers tits.
    John339077353, Nov 1, 2004
  6. Stan Brown

    N2 Guest

    About damn time! Now, where's "Until the End of the World"????

    N2, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Stan Brown

    Chu-Chu Guest

    In article <>,
    (John339077353) wrote:

    > >From: Stan Brown

    > >Maybe one way to hook you is to say that it was David Duchovny's big
    > >role before /The X-Files/.

    > No the hook is mimi rogers tits.

    And David Duchovny's ass, but unfortunately, we have to get past that
    long hairdo of his first.
    Chu-Chu, Nov 1, 2004
  8. Stan Brown

    karlpov Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:25:42 -0500, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >This cult film deserves more attention than it got. It's one of
    >those movies that gets under your skin for days after you see it.

    Makes a great counterpoint to the engagingly awful Christian rapture
    propaganda -- the two (so far) Left Behind movies and the Helen Hannah
    quadrilogy (check for star Leigh Lewis in IMDB in you don't know what
    this is). (One interesting difference is that while in both series the
    believers proceed to Heaven nude, in Left Behind the clothes just sort
    of collapse, whereas in the first Helen Hannah, Apocalypse, they are
    miraculously neatly folded, probably laundered too.)
    karlpov, Nov 1, 2004
  9. >About damn time! Now, where's "Until the End of the World"????

    isn't Anchor Bay doing an uncut DVD of that with a Wenders commentary to boot?
    Vlvetmorning98, Nov 2, 2004
  10. Vlvetmorning98, Nov 2, 2004
  11. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Vlvetmorning98" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>Yes, according to
    >>> http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/794043490828IE.html?id=uFrNhHeh

    >I'm sold

    My copy arrived today, exactly on the street date.

    There's an insert that's a single sheet, with chapter titles on one
    side and ads for other discs on the other. I haven't tried to play
    the disc yet, but it's 1.85:1 according to the case.

    Stan Brown, Nov 3, 2004
  12. Stan Brown

    N2 Guest

    "Vlvetmorning98" <> wrote in message
    > >About damn time! Now, where's "Until the End of the World"????

    > isn't Anchor Bay doing an uncut DVD of that with a Wenders commentary to

    boot?

    So they've been saying....all year. But, hey, I'm patient....
    N2, Nov 3, 2004
  13. >I won't tell you more,
    >because it would all be spoilers, except to tell you that the title
    >refers to what some Christians believe, that just before the
    >Apocalypse the true believers will be caught up bodily into heaven,
    >leaving the sinners to stew on earth.

    You still managed to give away a major plot point. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 4, 2004