The Quiet Earth (New Zealand) UK release -first look

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by APPRIA40WR, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. APPRIA40WR

    APPRIA40WR Guest

    [Posted to uk.media.dvd / alt.video.dvd / aus.dvd]

    The Quiet Earth (NZ) -first look

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

    Received this today.

    Artwork http://tinyurl.com/lkgx

    4:3 image, no subtitles, 2 channel stereo sound and region-free (from what I
    can tell).

    First impession is it's pan and scanned -but I may be easily wrong and won't
    be able to tell until I watch the entire film. Image quality is nothing
    amazing and I wasn't surprised at £5.

    The good thing is a USA distributor might pick up on this film now and
    realise there's a market for a much deserved special edition.

    Available in the UK http://www.happyhunter.com/
    http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk/

    APPRIA40WR, Aug 29, 2003

  2. APPRIA40WR

    cosmichobo Guest

    In article <bin1q3$b5bk7$-berlin.de>, "APPRIA40WR"
    <usenet_dvd***REMOVE_THIS***@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    > [Posted to uk.media.dvd / alt.video.dvd / aus.dvd]
    >

    > The Quiet Earth (NZ) -first look
    >
    > http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/
    >

    > Received this today.
    >
    > Artwork http://tinyurl.com/lkgx
    >
    > 4:3 image, no subtitles, 2 channel stereo sound and region-free (from what I
    > can tell).
    >
    > First impession is it's pan and scanned -but I may be easily wrong and won't
    > be able to tell until I watch the entire film. Image quality is nothing
    > amazing and I wasn't surprised at £5.
    >
    > The good thing is a USA distributor might pick up on this film now and
    > realise there's a market for a much deserved special edition.
    >
    > Available in the UK http://www.happyhunter.com/
    > http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk/

    Am SO glad this is coming out on DVD... though by the sounds of it, maybe
    not THAT glad... :(

    I [word that sounds like copied.. d'oh!] this from a video store a while
    ago, but then lost the video. Was going to re-borrow it, but then thought
    - it'll come out on dvd soon, then I can buy it, and it will surely be all
    pretty and stuff....

    Hope it does get cleaned up.... If they can make 40 year old Doctor Who
    look like it was filmed yesterday, then I don't see why they couldn't do
    something with this gem.

    Cheers

    Travis

    cosmichobo, Aug 29, 2003

  3. "APPRIA40WR" <usenet_dvd***REMOVE_THIS***@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > [Posted to uk.media.dvd / alt.video.dvd / aus.dvd]
    >

    > The Quiet Earth (NZ) -first look
    >
    > http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/
    >

    > Received this today.
    >
    > Artwork http://tinyurl.com/lkgx
    >
    > 4:3 image, no subtitles, 2 channel stereo sound and region-free (from what

    > can tell).
    >
    > First impession is it's pan and scanned -but I may be easily wrong and

    won't
    > be able to tell until I watch the entire film. Image quality is nothing
    > amazing and I wasn't surprised at £5.
    >
    > The good thing is a USA distributor might pick up on this film now and
    > realise there's a market for a much deserved special edition.

    Love the review, an Australian man? Shit the Canadians, sorry:) Septic
    Tanks, never get it right. Bruno Lawrence was as Aussie as the Finn brothers
    and John Clarke. The reviewer did not have much of a clue. "Endings are
    supposed to bring *closure* to their stories", what a load of hollywood. I
    bet he thought Independence day was a masterpiece. Gazzer-2's review of 2001
    was quite different considering the ending's are very similar, too. That
    being said, time to buy a copy of "the Quiet Earth" I think, great film.

    Mark Bedingfield, Aug 30, 2003
  4. APPRIA40WR

    duff_moss Guest

    I've got this on order from Amazon.co.uk - still hasn't shipped. Doesn't
    seem like there's too many copies. So I suspect the studio is watching
    how this goes - and if it sells well, then R1 may pick it up.

    So I'll live with this copy for now and get the R1 if it's picked up and
    given the treatment it deserves.

    duff_moss, Sep 3, 2003
  5. APPRIA40WR

    Damon Guest

    duff_moss <> wrote in message news:<3f556a05$0$95051$>...
    > I've got this on order from Amazon.co.uk - still hasn't shipped. Doesn't
    > seem like there's too many copies. So I suspect the studio is watching
    > how this goes - and if it sells well, then R1 may pick it up.
    >
    > So I'll live with this copy for now and get the R1 if it's picked up and
    > given the treatment it deserves.

    I have it on order from Play, still says "preordered" as status.
    Mind you just because it does well as a cheapy doesn't necessarily
    mean it will do well as a full extras release if everybody gets this
    version, the impetus to get another version is reduced.

    My next project is to transfer Goodbye Pork Pie (Another Kiwi Classic)
    to DVD once I get it back from a mate and I sort out my sync problems.

    Damon, Sep 3, 2003
  6. "Damon" <> wrote in message

    > My next project is to transfer Goodbye Pork Pie (Another Kiwi Classic)
    > to DVD once I get it back from a mate and I sort out my sync problems.

    Now that's a classic movie. The insight into NZ in the late 70's that gets
    even more hilarious with age.

    Kevin Hendrikssen, Sep 3, 2003

    > > I've got this on order from Amazon.co.uk - still hasn't shipped. Doesn't
    > > seem like there's too many copies. So I suspect the studio is watching
    > > how this goes - and if it sells well, then R1 may pick it up.
    > >
    > > So I'll live with this copy for now and get the R1 if it's picked up and
    > > given the treatment it deserves.

    > I have it on order from Play, still says "preordered" as status.
    > Mind you just because it does well as a cheapy doesn't necessarily
    > mean it will do well as a full extras release if everybody gets this
    > version, the impetus to get another version is reduced.
    >
    > My next project is to transfer Goodbye Pork Pie (Another Kiwi Classic)
    > to DVD once I get it back from a mate and I sort out my sync problems.

    Quite possibly the best Kiwi comedy ever, I am planning on transfering Came
    a hot friday soon, too. Great flicks. The Dogs tail would be another the
    buggers should do, my 4 year old would love it (grin).

    Mark Bedingfield, Sep 3, 2003
  8. On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:19:11 +1000, "Kevin Hendrikssen" <>
    wrote:

    >"Damon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> My next project is to transfer Goodbye Pork Pie (Another Kiwi Classic)
    >> to DVD once I get it back from a mate and I sort out my sync problems.

    >Now that's a classic movie. The insight into NZ in the late 70's that gets
    >even more hilarious with age.

    You might want to wait on doing that. A DVD version of Goodbye Pork
    Pie is coming - perhaps by the end of this year.

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Sep 3, 2003
  9. Having received my copy of Quiet Earth on DVD from Blackstar, I can
    now confirm that it is an R0 PAL version. It played fine on my
    converted JVC machine. As posted previously (copied below), it is a
    bare-bones disc with virtually no extras. I paid 5# + shipping.

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:10:41 +0100, "APPRIA40WR"

    Charles Eggen, Sep 9, 2003
  10. APPRIA40WR

    APPRIA40WR Guest

    "Charles Eggen" <> wrote in message
    > Having received my copy of Quiet Earth on DVD from Blackstar, I can
    > now confirm that it is an R0 PAL version. It played fine on my
    > converted JVC machine. As posted previously (copied below), it is a
    > bare-bones disc with virtually no extras. I paid 5# + shipping.

    And are you happy with it mate?

    Was me who emailed you.

    > >Artwork http://tinyurl.com/lkgx

    I watched mine straight away and loved it. Nothing amazing pic wise but
    that's unimportant if there's nothing better available.

    APPRIA40WR, Sep 9, 2003