    I'm a newbie to digital photography and PShop.
    Roy
    Minolta 7i, PS 7.01 + Camera Raw plug-in

    Fishb8, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Fishb8

    Stuart Guest

    Have a look at "Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Photographers" by Martin Evening -
    Focal Press - the best book i've come across to talk intelligently rather
    than just another manual - also comes with v good CD tutorial movies.

    Stuart, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Fishb8

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Kelby is pretty much a hack. His other books are warmed over stuff that has
    been around in better form for years. So without seeing it, the best I can
    say is look it over really well before committing your money.
    There is a list of Photoshop books I recommend for all photographers
    (digital, flim and "whatever") on this page:
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbookps.html
    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Fishb8

    Richards Guest

    Re: The PShop book for digital photographers - Scott Kelby - Anygood?

    Fishb8 wrote:
    > I'm thinking of buying "The Photoshop book for digital photographers"
    > Worth buying?
    > I'm a newbie to digital photography and PShop.
    > Roy
    > Minolta 7i, PS 7.01 + Camera Raw plug-in

    I bought the book yesterday and stayed up most of the night reading it.
    It covers areas that most other photoshop books either gloss over, or
    omit entirely. Be forewarned, however, that it will be only one of the
    books that you'll need on photoshop. Many basic concepts that are not
    unique to digital photograpers are completely missing.

    Scott has a tip on upsizing photos to almost any size that works better
    than any other method that I've tried - that tip alone is worth the cost
    of the book. Other tips about organizing files, contact sheets, jewel
    case inserts, etc. were enlightening.

    My advice to anyone entering a technical hobby or profession is to be
    willing to buy as many books as necessary to really learn the craft.
    Sometimes as few as three or four books by authors that view the subject
    from different perspectives would be sufficient, while there will be
    other times when dozens or tens of dozens of books might be necessary.

    I have several hundred books on computers and programming. There have
    been times when I've bought a book because it has one or two paragraphs
    that completely describe how to do something. My feeling is that if I
    hired that author to tutor me in that one area, that I would be
    obligated to pay much more than the price of a $35 or $50 book.

    Richards, Sep 4, 2003