The proxy server is refusing connections

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rolf, Jul 4, 2010.

  1. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    After installing updates to win2ksp4 this morning, I no longer can use
    Mozilla Firefox. The message is "The proxy server is refusing connections"

    I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the taskbar.
    It would allow me to decide whether popups and Javascripts should be allowed
    on any web page I visited. Now, the icon has disappeared and I can't use
    Firefox while IE works OK. How can I solve this problem? I can't find the
    spyblocker in the list of installed programs either.

    Here's the rest of the error message:

    Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

    * Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.

    * Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
    working.

    Rolf, Jul 4, 2010

  2. Rolf

    John Holmes Guest

    Rolf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > After installing updates to win2ksp4 this morning, I no longer can use
    > Mozilla Firefox. The message is "The proxy server is refusing
    > connections"
    >
    > I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the
    > taskbar. It would allow me to decide whether popups and Javascripts
    > should be allowed on any web page I visited. Now, the icon has
    > disappeared and I can't use Firefox while IE works OK. How can I solve
    > this problem? I can't find the spyblocker in the list of installed
    > programs either.
    >
    > Here's the rest of the error message:
    >
    > Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing
    > connections.
    >
    > * Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
    >
    > * Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy
    > server is
    > working.

    About 14,600 results (0.29 seconds) for firefox "the proxy server is
    refusing connections", you lazy dawg.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jul 4, 2010

  3. Rolf

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rolf wrote:

    > I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the taskbar.

    How are we supposed to know what the name of that/your blocker is or if
    it uses a proxy?

    > Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

    If you don't know the name of that blocker, then I guess you can't use
    it anymore, so you should get rid of any proxy configuration.

    In my linux Firefox 3.0.17 that is configured in Edit/ Preferences/
    Advanced category Network tab/ Connection section - Configure how
    Firefox connects to the internet - Settings button - check No proxy.

    But/And...

    .... if you (still/again) want to use a tool which (might) uses a proxy
    server to be a blocker, you have to figure out what that is.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 4, 2010
  4. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Rolf wrote:
    >
    >> I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the
    >> taskbar.

    > How are we supposed to know what the name of that/your blocker is or
    > if it uses a proxy?
    >
    >> Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing
    >> connections.

    > If you don't know the name of that blocker, then I guess you can't use
    > it anymore, so you should get rid of any proxy configuration.
    >
    > In my linux Firefox 3.0.17 that is configured in Edit/ Preferences/
    > Advanced category Network tab/ Connection section - Configure how
    > Firefox connects to the internet - Settings button - check No proxy.
    >
    > But/And...
    >
    > ... if you (still/again) want to use a tool which (might) uses a proxy
    > server to be a blocker, you have to figure out what that is.

    All rigth, I am doing my best.

    Startup contains nothing ominous, just
    MS Office,
    HP Digital Imaging,
    Logitech Setpoint,
    Dyndns Updater Tray Icon
    Device Detector2 (Olympus)

    Tools - Options - General - but no 'Connections', just 'Content'

    but from General I got to Manage Addons - Extensions, and there, lo and
    behold: NoScript 1.9.9.97 is listed! The S icon made me associate it with a
    spy blocker. But I have
    But what is the best course of action to take? Disable, Uninstall, Options?

    There are lots of options but nothing related to a proxy server as far as I
    can see.

    Before installing updates, normal operation was that when accessing pages
    with popups or that required execution of Javascripts I would be notified
    and I couild click the icon and then chose from a NoScript meny what course
    of action to take; whether to allow or deny.

    Flash: I see the 'S' now. Mousing the S it says
    Scripts Currently Allowed. | <Script>: 2 | <Object> : 0

    But I can't find anything about a proxy.

    I have 'Spy Sweeper' (Free version) installed but I do not think it has
    anything with the problem to do.

    Rolf, Jul 4, 2010
  5. Rolf

    VanguardLH Guest

    Rolf wrote:

    > After installing updates to win2ksp4 this morning, I no longer can use
    > Mozilla Firefox. The message is "The proxy server is refusing connections"
    >
    > I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the taskbar.
    > It would allow me to decide whether popups and Javascripts should be allowed
    > on any web page I visited. Now, the icon has disappeared and I can't use
    > Firefox while IE works OK. How can I solve this problem? I can't find the
    > spyblocker in the list of installed programs either.
    >
    > Here's the rest of the error message:
    >
    > Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.
    >
    > * Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
    >
    > * Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
    > working.

    So to what proxy does Firefox point (that is no longer available)?

    If you are running some local proxy through which you (or some software
    you installed and configured) have Firefox direct its connection
    requests then that proxy had better be available to get through it.
    Either you will need to figure out what OTHER software you installed (as
    an add-on or a separate program) that runs as this proxy or reconfigured
    Firefox to use some proxy, or you need to configure Firefox not to use a
    proxy at all.

    Firefox is configured to use a proxy. That was your doing whether you
    manually changed the config of Firefox or let some software you
    installed do it. If you installed security software that assists
    Firefox then it is up to you to understand how it works and how to
    configure it and what to do when it fails to load or if you decide to
    uninstall it.

    VanguardLH, Jul 4, 2010
  6. Rolf

    VanguardLH Guest

    Rolf wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Rolf wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the
    >>> taskbar.

    >> How are we supposed to know what the name of that/your blocker is or
    >> if it uses a proxy?
    >>
    >>> Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing
    >>> connections.

    >> If you don't know the name of that blocker, then I guess you can't use
    >> it anymore, so you should get rid of any proxy configuration.
    >>
    >> In my linux Firefox 3.0.17 that is configured in Edit/ Preferences/
    >> Advanced category Network tab/ Connection section - Configure how
    >> Firefox connects to the internet - Settings button - check No proxy.
    >>
    >> But/And...
    >>
    >> ... if you (still/again) want to use a tool which (might) uses a proxy
    >> server to be a blocker, you have to figure out what that is.

    > All rigth, I am doing my best.
    >
    > Startup contains nothing ominous, just
    > MS Office,
    > HP Digital Imaging,
    > Logitech Setpoint,
    > Dyndns Updater Tray Icon
    > Device Detector2 (Olympus)
    >
    > Tools - Options - General - but no 'Connections', just 'Content'
    >
    > but from General I got to Manage Addons - Extensions, and there, lo and
    > behold: NoScript 1.9.9.97 is listed! The S icon made me associate it with a
    > spy blocker. But I have
    > But what is the best course of action to take? Disable, Uninstall, Options?
    >
    > There are lots of options but nothing related to a proxy server as far as I
    > can see.
    >
    > Before installing updates, normal operation was that when accessing pages
    > with popups or that required execution of Javascripts I would be notified
    > and I couild click the icon and then chose from a NoScript meny what course
    > of action to take; whether to allow or deny.
    >
    > Flash: I see the 'S' now. Mousing the S it says
    > Scripts Currently Allowed. | <Script>: 2 | <Object> : 0
    >
    > But I can't find anything about a proxy.
    >
    > I have 'Spy Sweeper' (Free version) installed but I do not think it has
    > anything with the problem to do.

    Since you don't know how to use or configure the extensions that you
    installed in Firefox, uninstall them.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+firefox +proxy configuration

    VanguardLH, Jul 4, 2010
  7. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    > Rolf wrote:
    >> After installing updates to win2ksp4 this morning, I no longer can
    >> use Mozilla Firefox. The message is "The proxy server is refusing
    >> connections"
    >>
    >> I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the
    >> taskbar.

    > Thats "NoScript"...great little add-on. Its a real "must-have".
    >
    >> It would allow me to decide whether popups and Javascripts should be
    >> allowed
    >> on any web page I visited. Now, the icon has disappeared and I can't
    >> use
    >> Firefox while IE works OK.

    > Something compromised yer install of firefox. In add/remove programs
    > uninstall firefox.
    > Reboot. Check registry for left over bits of firefox references,
    > delete those keys.
    > Reboot. Check registry again. If its clean check yer HOSTS file for
    > freakyness. If groovy, then proceed to install latest Firefox.
    > Then install "NoScript", again.
    >
    >> How can I solve this problem? I can't find
    >> the
    >> spyblocker in the list of installed programs either.
    >>

    > Something big might be goin on under the hood, dawg. Run an AV scan,
    > much? Run CCleaner and see if its got klews.
    >
    >> Here's the rest of the error message:
    >>
    >> Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing
    >> connections.
    >>
    >> * Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
    >>
    >> * Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy
    >> server is
    >> working.
    >>

    > Did *you* set FF to use a proxy server? If not then you have BIG
    > GLOSSY ISSUES, aka malwarez.
    > Better get some tools and check to see if yer windoz is HA><0red.
    >
    > FYI
    > HTH
    > HAND

    What you say makes good sense. I have done zero configuration of FF, except
    directing it to my mail server en entry.

    There must be more than just a FF problem. I accessed a site dedicated to
    IT here in Norway with OE, and all I could do was start a new thread, give
    it a title - and then it never let me edit any text. I could read the site
    but very little else.

    But ok, I'll begin with CC and whatever else it takes, excpet maybe making a
    full backup of all my hard drives first.

    I savvy much of the more common slang but HA><0red doesn't light any bulbs
    here. Except I suppose it is something like mustard on your ice cream.

    Rolf, Jul 4, 2010
  8. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    something has happened: Suddenly FF opens to my mail server and looks
    normal.

    But I swear I have reset the machine a couple of times since the problem
    started.

    But thank you all for your helpfulness; great to have such resources
    available - and for free - on the other side of the pond.

    Cheers to all of you!

    Rolf

    Rolf, Jul 4, 2010
  9. Rolf

    chuckcar Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Rolf wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have had a spy/popup blocker installed; it had an "S" icon on the
    >>> taskbar.

    >> How are we supposed to know what the name of that/your blocker is or
    >> if it uses a proxy?
    >>
    >>> Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing
    >>> connections.

    >> If you don't know the name of that blocker, then I guess you can't
    >> use it anymore, so you should get rid of any proxy configuration.
    >>
    >> In my linux Firefox 3.0.17 that is configured in Edit/ Preferences/
    >> Advanced category Network tab/ Connection section - Configure how
    >> Firefox connects to the internet - Settings button - check No proxy.
    >>
    >> But/And...
    >>
    >> ... if you (still/again) want to use a tool which (might) uses a
    >> proxy server to be a blocker, you have to figure out what that is.

    > All rigth, I am doing my best.
    >
    > Startup contains nothing ominous, just
    > MS Office,

    Not needed.

    > HP Digital Imaging,

    Your scanner doesn't have a proper driver already?

    > Logitech Setpoint,

    Not needed.

    > Dyndns Updater Tray Icon

    Well *that* lookse kind of suspicious.

    > Device Detector2 (Olympus)

    You have any hardware made by some company called "Olympus"? like maybe a
    camera?

    Is the abouve from startup in msconfig or just from hovering the mouse near
    the clock?

    BTW I use firefox and ne absolutely no need to use any kind of proxy with it
    at all. However *knowing* that actual url for this proxy would certainly
    be required to comment further.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 4, 2010
  10. Rolf

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:33:45 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > lookse

    WTF?????

    Aardvark, Jul 5, 2010
  11. Rolf

    NormanM Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:33:45 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:

    > Well *that* lookse kind of suspicious.

    Not!

    --
    Norman