    Do you know a program that represents the Process - HD usage
    association in the same clear way the Task Manager shows the Process -
    CPU % usage?
    Luca Villa, Aug 10, 2007

  2. Luca Villa wrote:
    > I consider myself an IT expert but I never found the solution to
    > this...
    > My PC has 4GB of RAM but often it's slow because the HD goes into near-
    > to-100% activity.
    > I would to know what program/process is causing this near-to-100% HD
    > activity but I often don't found the solution.
    >
    > I enabled all the columns related to I/O of the Task Manager but this
    > often didn't help to find the guilty process.
    > Then in Windows Vista I tried to see under Resource Monitor - Disk but
    > this often didn't help too.
    > I found that both the tools are not always able to well represent the
    > Process - HD usage association in the same clear way the Task Manager
    > shows the Process - CPU % usage.
    >
    > Do you know a program that represents the Process - HD usage
    > association in the same clear way the Task Manager shows the Process -
    > CPU % usage?

    Process Monitor:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Luca Villa

    Guest

    , Aug 10, 2007
  4. Luca Villa

    Gerry Guest

    Luca

    I would recommend Process Explorer.

    For further information about Process Explorer see here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx

    To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
    producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties,
    Services. Note there are the full names and
    some explanation of what each service does.

    You will find further information on Services here:
    http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

    To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
    service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
    usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services
    are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab
    allow it a little time to display the information.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Aug 10, 2007
  5. On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:34:55 +0100, Gerry wrote:

    > Luca
    >
    > I would recommend Process Explorer.
    >
    > For further information about Process Explorer see here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx
    >
    > To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
    > producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties, Services.
    > Note there are the full names and some explanation of what each service
    > does.
    >
    > You will find further information on Services here:
    > http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

    http://www.blackviper.com/

    The real Black Viper has been updating his domain. He explains what
    happened to the domain, when it was down.

    <snip>
    Ophelia Cummins, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Luca Villa

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Ophelia Cummins" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:34:55 +0100, Gerry wrote:
    >
    >> Luca
    >>
    >> I would recommend Process Explorer.
    >>
    >> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx
    >>
    >> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
    >> producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties, Services.
    >> Note there are the full names and some explanation of what each service
    >> does.
    >>
    >> You will find further information on Services here:
    >> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

    > http://www.blackviper.com/
    >
    > The real Black Viper has been updating his domain. He explains what
    > happened to the domain, when it was down.

    One of my favorites - I can't wait until I have time to go through his new
    "Bare-Bones" Vista configuration. Of course, I have to do that in a virtual
    PC enviroment so I don't trash my laptop <g>.
    WhzzKdd, Aug 20, 2007