the NZ PC memory ripoff

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by pixel, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. pixel

    pixel Guest

    for the same model of 2x1GB standard PC3200 DDR ram:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146841
    US$ 207

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=343307
    NZ$ 530 inc gst (US$ 371)

    a huge markup of over 50%, and that's for value ram, with pretty
    ordinary 3-4-4-8 timings, at the highend with low latency the markup
    gets even wider.

    OCZ is becoming mainstram in the US, does it really cost local suppliers
    so much more to aquire ram from brands like OCZ/mushkin etc..? or are
    they just taking advantage of the fact that enthusiasts *might* pay more
    for highend stuff and its basically a con? if so would the con likely
    be coming from the local retailer or their local importer/supplier..?

    funnily enough it wouldn't be a problem if there were still US online
    retailers that accepted international credit cards... but i don't know
    of any :/

    pixel, Dec 3, 2005

  2. pixel

    MarkH Guest

    pixel <> wrote in news:dmtak3$lu3$:

    > for the same model of 2x1GB standard PC3200 DDR ram:
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146841
    > US$ 207
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=343307
    > NZ$ 530 inc gst (US$ 371)
    >
    > a huge markup of over 50%, and that's for value ram, with pretty
    > ordinary 3-4-4-8 timings, at the highend with low latency the markup
    > gets even wider.

    For fairly ordinary PC3200 DDR RAM why would you pay $530?

    I bought this:
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MEMHYN01024
    at $167.63 each the cost for 2x1GB is $335.26 (about $234 US)

    Is the OCZ RAM really that much (NZ$195) better?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 4, 2005

  3. pixel

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:45:44 +1300, pixel <> wrote:

    >for the same model of 2x1GB standard PC3200 DDR ram:
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146841
    >US$ 207
    >
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=343307
    >NZ$ 530 inc gst (US$ 371)
    >
    >a huge markup of over 50%, and that's for value ram, with pretty
    >ordinary 3-4-4-8 timings, at the highend with low latency the markup
    >gets even wider.
    >
    >OCZ is becoming mainstram in the US, does it really cost local suppliers
    >so much more to aquire ram from brands like OCZ/mushkin etc..? or are
    >they just taking advantage of the fact that enthusiasts *might* pay more
    >for highend stuff and its basically a con? if so would the con likely
    >be coming from the local retailer or their local importer/supplier..?
    >
    >funnily enough it wouldn't be a problem if there were still US online
    >retailers that accepted international credit cards... but i don't know
    >of any :/

    Try this firm

    http://www.memoryx.com/

    They even have a Low $9us freight option..

    XP, Dec 4, 2005
  4. pixel

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:06:31 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >pixel <> wrote in news:dmtak3$lu3$:
    >
    >> for the same model of 2x1GB standard PC3200 DDR ram:
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146841
    >> US$ 207
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=343307
    >> NZ$ 530 inc gst (US$ 371)
    >>
    >> a huge markup of over 50%, and that's for value ram, with pretty
    >> ordinary 3-4-4-8 timings, at the highend with low latency the markup
    >> gets even wider.

    >For fairly ordinary PC3200 DDR RAM why would you pay $530?
    >
    >I bought this:
    >http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MEMHYN01024
    >at $167.63 each the cost for 2x1GB is $335.26 (about $234 US)
    >
    >Is the OCZ RAM really that much (NZ$195) better?

    No, ! its not like the monster cable rip off.

    As they say a sucker is born very min..

    XP, Dec 4, 2005
  5. XP wrote:
    > Try this firm
    >

    > http://www.memoryx.com/
    >

    > They even have a Low $9us freight option..

    Avoid them!

    These guys shipped me faulty 'new' memory that someone had written on in
    pencil (The letter 'B' for bad?). They avoided answering my questions on
    the condition of the product, and the memory manufacturer confirmed the
    product was not in 'new' state. After months of getting nowhere with
    them I complained to the Better Business Bureau and finally got some
    resolution to the problem. Cost me money on currency exchange, and I
    purchased RAM locally which cost almost twice the price (Needed it,
    couldn't wait any longer). I needed more of the same memory for a second
    server as well.

    If you think memory here is expensive, try purchasing ECC Registered RAM.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 4, 2005
  6. pixel

    pixel Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > For fairly ordinary PC3200 DDR RAM why would you pay $530?

    > Is the OCZ RAM really that much (NZ$195) better?

    lol - that was my point exactly - the value series ram shown isn't that
    much better, definitely not worth NZ$530, and most people on the planet
    don't have to pay so much extra for it accordingly, but we do, and i
    want to know why.

    personally i'd never pay $530 for ram of that spec, for that price i'd
    expect OCZ's platinum series which would be about right, US$330 for the
    best on the market, with massive OC headroom and the tightest timings
    available.

    pixel, Dec 4, 2005