    and 100-gigabit speeds.

    Trick question: is that really "gigabit" as in 1000000000 bits, or should it
    be "gibibit" as in 1073741824 bits?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    news:f8799m$q86$:

    > Trick question: is that really "gigabit" as in 1000000000 bits, or
    > should it be "gibibit" as in 1073741824 bits?

    I have seen customers who have 10 meg 1/2 duplex hubs. I am not their IT,
    and it still works for them, so I am not in any position to comment unless
    it affects the product.
    I think it is old and silly too, but it is not broken.
    Actually, I think I might know of or might be able to dig up a customer who
    still uses transducers.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    bok Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > We've been accustomed for a while now for each new version of Ethernet to
    > increase the speed by 10 times. So after 10-gigabit Ethernet, the next
    > version should be 100-gigabit, right?
    >
    > Well, yes and no. According to this
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070724-new-ethernet-standard-not-40-gbps-not-100-but-both.html>,
    > there's been some disagreement, so the next spec will allow both 40-gigabit
    > and 100-gigabit speeds.

    Well the 75 year old dear in Sewden has to make do with a 40Gbps
    broadband connection for now: http://www.thelocal.se/7869/

    > Trick question: is that really "gigabit" as in 1000000000 bits, or should it
    > be "gibibit" as in 1073741824 bits?

    Simple answer: In this context it would be the former: 10**9 not 2**30 .
    bok, Jul 25, 2007
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rob S Guest

    bok wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> We've been accustomed for a while now for each new version of Ethernet to
    >> increase the speed by 10 times. So after 10-gigabit Ethernet, the next
    >> version should be 100-gigabit, right?
    >>
    >> Well, yes and no. According to this
    >> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070724-new-ethernet-standard-not-40-gbps-not-100-but-both.html>,
    >>
    >> there's been some disagreement, so the next spec will allow both
    >> 40-gigabit
    >> and 100-gigabit speeds.

    > Well the 75 year old dear in Sewden has to make do with a 40Gbps
    > broadband connection for now: http://www.thelocal.se/7869/

    I was thinking the only use I would have for 1Gb, let alone 40Gb or
    100Gb ethernet here at home would be for streaming hdtv, when this
    caught my eye from the above link

    "Sigbritt will now be able to enjoy 1,500 high definition HDTV channels
    simultaneously. Or, if there is nothing worth watching there, she will
    be able to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds."

    A bit of overkill for the home I'd say. No doubt there will be some who
    will upgrade their home networks, just because they can. Seeing as I
    currently don't have any high def content, my network would happily work
    at 10Mb

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Being married to a programmer is like having a cat. You talk to it but
    you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you
    say.
    Rob S, Jul 25, 2007