The next Cult Classic?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dan the man, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Dan the man

    Dan the man Guest

    Dan the man, Sep 13, 2003

  2. LOL, that is too funny.
    Vlvetmorning98, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Dan the man

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Dan the man, says...
    > Anyone seen this??

    I think the next cult classic will be DVD sets of the Star Wars Kid.
    Mark Spatny, Sep 16, 2003
  4. cult classics from the past 5 years:

    donnie darko (HUGE following)

    office space

    takashi miike's films

    spirited away

    waking life
    Vlvetmorning98, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Dan the man

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Dan the man

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    > In article <> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Vlvetmorning98 <> wrote:
    > >cult classics from the past 5 years:
    > >

    > [snip]
    >
    > and /Family Guy/ -- I think its popularity surprised everyone

    Isn't a 'cult classic' something with a small, dedicated fan base?
    Something popular doesn't quite fit :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Sep 16, 2003
  7. Dan the man

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    Invid Fan <> wrote in message news:160920030935360924%...
    > In article <>, Stan Brown
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <> in
    > > alt.video.dvd, Vlvetmorning98 <> wrote:
    > > >cult classics from the past 5 years:
    > > >

    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > and /Family Guy/ -- I think its popularity surprised everyone

    > Isn't a 'cult classic' something with a small, dedicated fan base?
    > Something popular doesn't quite fit :)

    My first cult classic was The Terminator,
    before it exploded into a franchise,
    and, some say, subsequently imploded with the release of T3.

    If I had to pick a current "cult classic",
    it would be "Once Were Warriors".

    If there are other movies with an equivalent high level of acting
    all across the board, I'd be interested in opinions.
    Hugh Candlin, Sep 16, 2003
  8. >If I had to pick a current "cult classic",
    > it would be "Once Were Warriors".

    yes, that movie has amassed a cult following.
    Vlvetmorning98, Sep 16, 2003
  9. On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:19:05 GMT, Hugh Candlin <> scribbled:

    > Invid Fan <> wrote in message news:160920030935360924%...
    >> In article <>, Stan Brown
    >> <> wrote:

    >> > [snip]
    >> >
    >> > and /Family Guy/ -- I think its popularity surprised everyone

    >> Isn't a 'cult classic' something with a small, dedicated fan base?
    >> Something popular doesn't quite fit :)

    > My first cult classic was The Terminator,
    > before it exploded into a franchise,
    > and, some say, subsequently imploded with the release of T3.
    >
    > If I had to pick a current "cult classic",
    > it would be "Once Were Warriors".
    >
    > If there are other movies with an equivalent high level of acting
    > all across the board, I'd be interested in opinions.

    Cult classic doesn't automatically mean high level of acting, though.
    In fact, in most cases, the opposite is true. :)
    Vincent J. Murphy, Sep 16, 2003
  10. Dan the man

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    Vincent J. Murphy <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:19:05 GMT, Hugh Candlin <> scribbled:
    > >
    > > Invid Fan <> wrote in message news:160920030935360924%...

    > >> Isn't a 'cult classic' something with a small, dedicated fan base?
    > >> Something popular doesn't quite fit :)

    > > My first cult classic was The Terminator,
    > > before it exploded into a franchise,
    > > and, some say, subsequently imploded with the release of T3.
    > >
    > > If I had to pick a current "cult classic",
    > > it would be "Once Were Warriors".
    > >
    > > If there are other movies with an equivalent high level of acting
    > > all across the board, I'd be interested in opinions.

    > Cult classic doesn't automatically mean high level of acting, though.
    > In fact, in most cases, the opposite is true. :)

    Absolutely, but it also doesn't automatically mean bad acting,
    or bad movie. The Terminator became a cult movie because
    of its relentless action. [Reminds me, I need to watch Relentless again].

    Anyway, Once Were Warriors struck a chord with me.
    I found something of interest in nearly every scene.
    It showed a way of life which is far too common, but in a setting
    that few of us will ever see outside of the movies, and had an excellent
    script and a tremendous, superb cast. It was done properly.
    Hugh Candlin, Sep 16, 2003
  11. Dan the man

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Vlvetmorning98 <> wrote:

    > spirited away

    CULT?!

    Dear God, man....!

    Have you seen the international box office on this?!?
    Peter Briggs, Sep 16, 2003
  12. Dan the man

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Vlvetmorning98 <> wrote:

    > >If I had to pick a current "cult classic",
    > > it would be "Once Were Warriors".

    > yes, that movie has amassed a cult following.

    Gimme "Duellists" any day.

    Hmm. I should prepare a list.

    "Amsterdammed", anyone?
    Peter Briggs, Sep 16, 2003
  13. "ferris bueller" is a cult film, and it made loads of money.
    Vlvetmorning98, Sep 16, 2003
  14. Dan the man

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Vlvetmorning98) wrote in message news:<>...
    > cult classics from the past 5 years:

    Coming soon: Bubba Ho-Tep

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Sep 16, 2003
  15. Dan the man

    Lookingglass Guest

    ONCE WERE WARRIORS is an exquisite film... but very very tough to watch...
    although I've seen it 3 times... it is riveting... and the performances are
    great... all unknowns to me... but it is a great film... I hope everyone has
    the opportunity to see it.

    --
    PEACE... Dave www.Shemakhan.com

    ....we know what we are, but know not what we may be.

    Shakespeare

    Lookingglass, Sep 17, 2003
  16. Dan the man

    Codswallop Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:21:11 GMT, Lookingglass wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > ONCE WERE WARRIORS is an exquisite film... but very very tough to
    > watch... although I've seen it 3 times... it is riveting... and the
    > performances are great... all unknowns to me... but it is a great
    > film... I hope everyone has the opportunity to see it.

    That film is almost ten years old! Anyway, Temeura Morrison (Jake) is
    Jango Fett (Boba Fett's father) in Star Wars Episode II.

    I had a bit of a look through the rest of the cast. Cliff Curtis
    (Escobar in Blow, the friendly arab guy in Three Kings) was also in it.

    There's a sequel called "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?". Least I
    think it's a sequel -- haven't seen it.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Sep 17, 2003
  17. Dan the man

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    Codswallop <> wrote in message news:Xns93F963E015382codswallopcom@139.132.1.4...
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:21:11 GMT, Lookingglass wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    > > ONCE WERE WARRIORS is an exquisite film... but very very tough to
    > > watch... although I've seen it 3 times... it is riveting... and the
    > > performances are great... all unknowns to me... but it is a great
    > > film... I hope everyone has the opportunity to see it.

    Very well phrased. I agree with everything you stated.

    > That film is almost ten years old!

    The DVD isn't!

    > There's a sequel called "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?". Least I
    > think it's a sequel -- haven't seen it.

    VHS only so far, and not widely available.
    Hugh Candlin, Sep 17, 2003
  18. Dan the man

    Eric R. Guest

    (Jordan Lund) wrote in message

    > Coming soon: Bubba Ho-Tep

    That movie is either going to be pure genius or a spectacular failure
    of biblical proportions. Either way, it's the first movie that I've
    actually been excited about in a while. What a premise! And a perfect
    cast to pull it off, too.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Sep 17, 2003
  19. Dan the man

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <160920030935360924%> in alt.video.dvd,
    Invid Fan <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Stan Brown
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <> in
    >> alt.video.dvd, Vlvetmorning98 <> wrote:
    >> >cult classics from the past 5 years:
    >> >

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> and /Family Guy/ -- I think its popularity surprised everyone

    >Isn't a 'cult classic' something with a small, dedicated fan base?
    >Something popular doesn't quite fit :)

    _Is_ /Family Guy/ popular, in absolute numbers? I rather think not,
    though I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong.

    I meant by my comment to say "it sold surprisingly many more copies
    than Fox expected".

    BTW, part of it may have been the very attractive pricing of the
    first set: I paid $35.50 for four DVDs. For the second set (season
    3) I paid $36.50 for three DVDs, from the same supplier.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Sep 18, 2003
  20. Dan the man

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    > In article <160920030935360924%> in alt.video.dvd,
    > Invid Fan <> wrote:
    > >In article <>, Stan Brown
    > ><> wrote:

    > >> [snip]
    > >>
    > >> and /Family Guy/ -- I think its popularity surprised everyone

    > >Isn't a 'cult classic' something with a small, dedicated fan base?
    > >Something popular doesn't quite fit :)

    > _Is_ /Family Guy/ popular, in absolute numbers? I rather think not,
    > though I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong.

    It lasted a couple seasons, which ment it had some popularity. "Normal"
    cult shows are those who are literaly unknown to the general public, or
    total failures which slowly gain a fan base as time goes on. Imports
    also qualify: Doctor Who is a normal show in the UK, but a cult show in
    the US.

    > I meant by my comment to say "it sold surprisingly many more copies
    > than Fox expected".

    I think the entire TV show on dvd market is surprising them. However,
    only time will tell if they're killing future syndication of those
    shows with these.

    > BTW, part of it may have been the very attractive pricing of the
    > first set: I paid $35.50 for four DVDs. For the second set (season
    > 3) I paid $36.50 for three DVDs, from the same supplier.

    The first taste is always cheap. As anime fans have said of their
    habit, in the end drugs would be cheaper...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Sep 18, 2003