The New B3 Revisions to the 6 Series Sandybridge Chipsets?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Mar 5, 2011.

  1. John

    John Guest

    The new B3 Revisions to the 6 Series P67 & H67 Sandybridge Chipsets
    that have now been shipped out to suppliers, do these new boards solve
    the issues that plagued a small number of the previous chipsets?

    I believe the previous Sandybridge chip sets on the MB were causing
    the SATA connectors to fail after certain amount of use in a small
    percentage of the boards? Do you know if the B3 revisions to the 6
    Series solves these issues? And if so how long will it be before we
    see the price of these boards come down to more realisitic levels?

    I am building a new i5 2500k system this year, hopefully in the first
    5 months of the year. I have a case already and will be buying a good
    PSU next. I am buying the parts bit by bit so that I buy the ones most
    likely to depreciate fastest last of all and considering any that
    could go up in price or remain stable first.

    Which of the Sandybridge motherboards are you favouring the most? MSI,
    Asus, Gigabyte?

    Cheers,

    John

    John, Mar 5, 2011

  2. John

    Paul Guest

    John wrote:
    > The new B3 Revisions to the 6 Series P67 & H67 Sandybridge Chipsets
    > that have now been shipped out to suppliers, do these new boards solve
    > the issues that plagued a small number of the previous chipsets?
    >
    > I believe the previous Sandybridge chip sets on the MB were causing
    > the SATA connectors to fail after certain amount of use in a small
    > percentage of the boards? Do you know if the B3 revisions to the 6
    > Series solves these issues? And if so how long will it be before we
    > see the price of these boards come down to more realisitic levels?
    >
    > I am building a new i5 2500k system this year, hopefully in the first
    > 5 months of the year. I have a case already and will be buying a good
    > PSU next. I am buying the parts bit by bit so that I buy the ones most
    > likely to depreciate fastest last of all and considering any that
    > could go up in price or remain stable first.
    >
    > Which of the Sandybridge motherboards are you favouring the most? MSI,
    > Asus, Gigabyte?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    I don't think the situation has changed materially for users.

    An owner of a B2 revision board, was protected by their warranty.

    The owner of a B3 revision board, will be protected by the same warranty.

    If you're at all nervous, you can wait for the chipset which is
    coming out mid-year (Z68).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

    As for what brand to buy, have a look at the customer reviews on
    Newegg, and select a winner that way. You can't select a board
    blindly and expect to get a good one. If a design is unstable,
    or the company refuses to do enough BIOS development work, it
    should show in the customer reviews. If you're the first person
    to buy such a board, then others are relying on you for the feedback.

    And if this bug bothers you that much, you can just buy a mature
    LGA1366 motherboard instead. You can get those with USB3 or SATA III
    or whatever.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 6, 2011