    an autofocus system that appears to be at least the equal of the 7D. (But I'm
    guessing no AF microadjustment.) $1100. Comments, anyone?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 3, 2013

  2. Robert Coe

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <oWNAt.10819$4>,
    says...

    > Robert Coe wrote:
    > > Ahoy, Canonians!
    > >
    > > Like a shot out of the dark comes the wholly unexpected (by me, at
    > > least) 70D. More than 20 megapixels (although the fine print says
    > > maybe more like 19) and an autofocus system that appears to be at
    > > least the equal of the 7D. (But I'm guessing no AF microadjustment.)
    > > $1100. Comments, anyone?
    > >
    > > Bob

    > My new Sony a77 has 24 Mp, AF microadjustment, internal anti-shake, and
    > certainly no problems with focusing. It has motion tracking, face tracking,
    > and can register the faces of particular individuals and tell wheher they
    > are smiling or not. It can focus in the dark with infrared assist. It can
    > bracket anything, shoot 12 fps, shoots DRO, HDR, and 3D panoramas. Gary
    > Friedman has written a 600 page manual about this camera.
    >
    > And it is the same price as the 70D.

    Does it have continuous autofocus in all modes? Can it take a 65 MP-E?

    J. Clarke, Jul 3, 2013

  3. Robert Coe

    David Taylor Guest

    On 03/07/2013 03:00, Robert Coe wrote:
    > Ahoy, Canonians!
    >
    > Like a shot out of the dark comes the wholly unexpected (by me, at least) 70D.
    > More than 20 megapixels (although the fine print says maybe more like 19) and
    > an autofocus system that appears to be at least the equal of the 7D. (But I'm
    > guessing no AF microadjustment.) $1100. Comments, anyone?
    >
    > Bob

    Yes, this page suggests AF micro-adjustment is included:

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d

    Looks nice, although I'm happy enough with my Nikon D5200.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jul 3, 2013
  4. Robert Coe

    Me Guest

    On 3/07/2013 6:01 p.m., Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Robert Coe says...
    >> Comments, anyone?

    > The new sensor is interesting. 40 million sensels if I
    > understand correctly. On-sensor phase AF over the entire
    > sensor. Makes a separate P-AF sensor superfluos (and the
    > mirror as well).

    Canon clearly don't think so, as they included a separate "off-sensor"
    AF module from the 7D, and a mirror.
    Presumably, the on-sensor pdaf is for use with LV and movies, and
    hopefully improves performance over often hapless CDAF once you get
    above small sensors / slow lenses.
    As DPReview mention, the on sensor PDAF from the 70D could be expected
    in an EOS-M "Mk II".

    Me, Jul 3, 2013
  5. Robert Coe

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 07:59:17 +0200, Alfred Molon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <MPG.2c3d7b1b5dc3441d989b44
    > >@news.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke says...
    > >> Does it have continuous autofocus in all modes?

    > >Yes of course, due to the translucent mirror.

    > Uh, no. Standard mirrorbox construction. But it will offer continous
    > AF in all modes by use of the PD cells on the sensor.

    He's talking about his Sony. I misread something on the Dpreview site.
    The Sony has the translucent mirror and an EVF, which is a bit bizarre
    to my mind and it hurts the high ISO performance.

    J. Clarke, Jul 3, 2013
  6. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 19:34:50 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2013-07-02 19:00:12 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    :
    : > Ahoy, Canonians!
    : >
    : > Like a shot out of the dark comes the wholly unexpected (by me, at least) 70D.
    : > More than 20 megapixels (although the fine print says maybe more like 19) and
    : > an autofocus system that appears to be at least the equal of the 7D. (But I'm
    : > guessing no AF microadjustment.) $1100. Comments, anyone?
    : >
    : > Bob
    :
    : No habla el canon. Soy un Nikonista.

    Los Canónicos hablan "canoñol".

    Roberto

    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2013
  7. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >In article <MPG.2c3d7b1b5dc3441d989b44
    : >@news.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke says...
    : >> Does it have continuous autofocus in all modes?
    : >
    : >Yes of course, due to the translucent mirror.
    :
    : Uh, no. Standard mirrorbox construction. But it will offer continous
    : AF in all modes by use of the PD cells on the sensor.

    Alfred may have been referring to the Sony. But yes, the 70D does have a
    semi-transparent mirror (60/40), presumably to support the continuous AF. Or
    so the specs on the Web site would have you believe. Apparently an actual user
    manual is not yet available.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2013
  8. Robert Coe

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 04/07/2013 08:07, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Robert Coe says...
    >> Alfred may have been referring to the Sony. But yes, the 70D does have a
    >> semi-transparent mirror (60/40), presumably to support
    >> the continuous AF.

    > Well no, the 70D has sensor PDAF to support continuos
    > autofocus in all modes.

    The spec does say "Quick-return half mirror (Transmission: reflection
    ratio of 40:60, no mirror cut-off with EF 600mm f/4 IS USM or shorter)"

    Presumably to enable Live View with the mirror down.

    From the blurb on the website, it sounds like it uses the sensor PDAF
    only in video mode, and the traditional AF it inherited from the 7D for
    stills.

    Joe Kotroczo, Jul 4, 2013
  9. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > No habla el canon. Soy un Nikonista.

    Always these immigrants who don't speak the only proper language
    in the world! Get back over thar border whence you came from!

    -Wolf'SCNR'gang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 4, 2013
  10. Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > Alfred may have been referring to the Sony. But yes, the 70D does have a
    > semi-transparent mirror (60/40), presumably to support the continuous AF.

    The main mirror of all DSLRs are semi-transparent. The light
    for the AF passes THROUGH the main mirror and is then reflected
    by secondary mirrors to the bottom of the box, where the
    (classical) PDAF sensors live. (The light reflected from the
    main mirror goes to the viewfinder and light metering.)

    The constant AF in live view and movie is thanks to the new
    sensor technology.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 4, 2013
  11. Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > Like a shot out of the dark comes the wholly unexpected (by me, at least) 70D.
    > More than 20 megapixels (although the fine print says maybe more like 19) and
    > an autofocus system that appears to be at least the equal of the 7D. (But I'm
    > guessing no AF microadjustment.) $1100. Comments, anyone?

    dpreview claims it has AF microadjustment.

    I think it's good that the xxD-series where the 60D was a
    step down from the 50D has been lifted up again to serious
    amateur levels. Even if that may hurt the 7D-followup ---
    or it may gain most features of the 5D3 / 1DX on crop format,
    which would be great for consumers.

    I think we'll find out if the Dual Pixel CMOS AF is as great
    as it sounds --- I guess they're able to bin both half-pixels
    for photos, too. Canon will learn from any problems and
    improve it for the next iteration. I guess this breakthrough
    (if it works as well as it seems) will improve DSLR video and
    probably come to consumer video cameras in good time.

    I'm not perfectly happy about the continuous turnable mode
    dial: I fear that could hurt blind setting --- back till the
    stop and then N clicks forward. I may be wrong.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 4, 2013