    mirrors. I have tried to contact Verizon via their e-mail form. They just
    don't bother to answer. I will welcome suggestions that will help me with
    the installation of the Netgear router.
    dah_dah, Sep 9, 2006

  2. dah_dah

    doS Guest

    the usb function of the modem reiles on the usb drivers for that modem to
    reside on your pc...hence what you are trying to do doesnt work

    doS, Sep 9, 2006

  3. dah_dah

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 14:13:17 GMT, dah_dah wrote:

    That will be the 1 and only Netgear Wireless Router or not? Ah right
    it's the 1 you have.

    >I wish to connect my computer to my wife's computer so that she may use my
    >DSL Internet connection.
    >To accomplish this I bought the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614.

    Hey wow a model/brand mentioned.

    >The installation instructions for this router assumes you are connected to
    >your DSL modem with an Ethernet cable. I am not. I am connected with a USB

    It would, according to
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rou...lessRouters/WGR614.aspx?detail=Specifications
    Interface
    Internet/WAN: 10/100 Mbps (auto-sensing) Ethernet, RJ-45
    LAN: 4 ports 10/100 Mbps (auto-sensing) Ethernet, RJ-45

    USB modem uses USB driver on the PC to connect, oddly same for Ethernet
    NIC drivers.

    >cable.

    Ah, sadly no mention of the DSL modem make/model.

    >However, I do have an Ethernet cable connection available on my modem, but
    >when I switch over to the Ethernet cable, my Internet connection becomes
    >difficult, if not impossible.

    Usually it's the other way round. Your ISP didn't disable the Ethernet
    port?

    So lets see,
    You haven't what difficult or impossible covers -
    Failed to get lease,
    Failed to get link LED,
    Failed to see WGR614 setup page,
    After changing connections, rebooted modem, rebooted PC
    Or turn off modem for 5 minutes, then turn it on, then reboot PC.

    >I have tried to contact Netgear, but all I get from them is smoke and

    This is a netgear issue?

    >mirrors. I have tried to contact Verizon via their e-mail form. They just
    >don't bother to answer. I will welcome suggestions that will help me with
    >the installation of the Netgear router.

    Using the Ethernet port of the modem, connect directly to PCs Ethernet
    port. Reboot modem, reboot PC.

    Me
    why?, Sep 9, 2006
  4. dah_dah

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-09, dah_dah <> wrote:
    > I wish to connect my computer to my wife's computer so that she may use my
    > DSL Internet connection.
    > To accomplish this I bought the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614.
    > The installation instructions for this router assumes you are connected to
    > your DSL modem with an Ethernet cable. I am not. I am connected with a USB
    > cable.
    > However, I do have an Ethernet cable connection available on my modem, but
    > when I switch over to the Ethernet cable, my Internet connection becomes
    > difficult, if not impossible.
    >
    > I have tried to contact Netgear, but all I get from them is smoke and
    > mirrors. I have tried to contact Verizon via their e-mail form. They just
    > don't bother to answer. I will welcome suggestions that will help me with
    > the installation of the Netgear router.

    Can you find the particular version of the Netgear WGR614 router that you
    own, on this page <http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGR614.asp>?
    There seem to be manuals and various 'troubleshooting' tips there
    (although the site is horrible, and demands a Macromedia Flash 7 plugin).

    Of course, you probably have the documentation already, either printed or
    as PDF files on a CD provided with the router.

    For initial set-up of the router, you will probably have to use an
    ethernet cable to connect a computer to the router - so you'll need a
    computer with an ethernet socket.

    If the problem is actually with your "modem" than perhaps if you can
    identify the make and model, someone could make constructive suggestions.

    (ADSL combined "modem"/router devices are easier to set up than using
    seperate gadgets).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 9, 2006
  5. dah_dah

    Top Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 14:13:17 +0000, dah_dah wrote:

    > I wish to connect my computer to my wife's computer so that she may use my
    > DSL Internet connection.
    > To accomplish this I bought the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614.
    > The installation instructions for this router assumes you are connected to
    > your DSL modem with an Ethernet cable. I am not. I am connected with a USB
    > cable.
    > However, I do have an Ethernet cable connection available on my modem, but
    > when I switch over to the Ethernet cable, my Internet connection becomes
    > difficult, if not impossible.
    >
    > I have tried to contact Netgear, but all I get from them is smoke and
    > mirrors. I have tried to contact Verizon via their e-mail form. They just
    > don't bother to answer. I will welcome suggestions that will help me with
    > the installation of the Netgear router.

    I'm doing pretty much the same thing here, same Netgear WGR614. I have an
    ethernet cable from my cable modem (your DSL), or I suppose USB to the 614
    should work, to the 614, 614 to first computer (use their blue cable that
    came in the box). I cable from my second computer to the 614. I've had the
    wireless working before when they were in seperate rooms, now they are
    side by side. Pay close attention to the the instrutions on the install
    disk.

    Good luck. If you have more questions I'll try to answer but keep in mind
    that memory .... sorry what was I saying?

    Ed
    Top, Sep 9, 2006
  6. dah_dah

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    dah_dah wrote:
    > I wish to connect my computer to my wife's computer so that she may use my
    > DSL Internet connection.
    > To accomplish this I bought the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614.
    > The installation instructions for this router assumes you are connected to
    > your DSL modem with an Ethernet cable. I am not. I am connected with a USB
    > cable.
    > However, I do have an Ethernet cable connection available on my modem, but
    > when I switch over to the Ethernet cable, my Internet connection becomes
    > difficult, if not impossible.
    >
    > I have tried to contact Netgear, but all I get from them is smoke and
    > mirrors. I have tried to contact Verizon via their e-mail form. They just
    > don't bother to answer. I will welcome suggestions that will help me with
    > the installation of the Netgear router.

    Take it back and hope for a refund. Use the money to buy a Zyxel 660HW
    or similar.
    Desk Rabbit, Sep 14, 2006
  7. dah_dah

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:
    > dah_dah wrote:
    >> I wish to connect my computer to my wife's computer so that she may
    >> use my
    >> DSL Internet connection.
    >> To accomplish this I bought the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614.
    >> The installation instructions for this router assumes you are
    >> connected to
    >> your DSL modem with an Ethernet cable. I am not. I am connected with
    >> a USB
    >> cable.
    >> However, I do have an Ethernet cable connection available on my modem,
    >> but
    >> when I switch over to the Ethernet cable, my Internet connection becomes
    >> difficult, if not impossible.
    >>
    >> I have tried to contact Netgear, but all I get from them is smoke and
    >> mirrors. I have tried to contact Verizon via their e-mail form. They
    >> just
    >> don't bother to answer. I will welcome suggestions that will help me
    >> with
    >> the installation of the Netgear router.
    >>

    > Take it back and hope for a refund. Use the money to buy a Zyxel 660HW
    > or similar.

    Or, just take the Ethernet connection and plug it directly into the
    netgear router, NOT into your computer. Try that--if it doesn't work,
    call your DSL company, they might be able to help.
    AnonyMouse, Sep 15, 2006