    http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs/

    READ THE FULL AP Article
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210...JVOqqxv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-
    HoMoon115, Feb 10, 2006

  2. HoMoon115 wrote:

    > READ THE FULL AP Article
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210...JVOqqxv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

    And notice how most of the complainers uncannily fall into the
    "B-but...they SAID 'Unlimited rentals'!--WHY can't I rent 20 movies a
    month, why, why, why??" lockstep.

    (Because...you're a greedy self-indulgent idiot who doesn't care about
    running the company profits into the ground, that's why?) :)

    Derek Janssen (remember, you treat your companies like you treat your
    friends--And if your short attention-span leeches off *them* too, well...)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 10, 2006

  3. HoMoon115

    Zodiac Guest

    So the consumer has to figure out what a company means by "unlimited" ?
    Maybe they mean slightly unlimited.

    Zodiac, Feb 11, 2006
  4. HoMoon115

    none Guest

    A new Netflix scam. They sent me a disc with the wrong region code so it
    won't play. I thought I seen it all. Cracked discs, lost discs, now it's a
    disc from Europe. Just great.
    none, Feb 11, 2006
  5. Zodiac wrote:

    >>>READ THE FULL AP Article
    >>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210...JVOqqxv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

    >>And notice how most of the complainers uncannily fall into the
    >>"B-but...they SAID 'Unlimited rentals'!--WHY can't I rent 20 movies a
    >>month, why, why, why??" lockstep.

    > So the consumer has to figure out what a company means by "unlimited" ?
    > Maybe they mean slightly unlimited.

    Maybe they'll either:
    A) remember that the "unlimited" term dates back to the single-rental
    days, or
    B) that it distinguishes from the bare 2-out plan that only gives you
    four movies a month, set.

    Much the same theory as when a restaurant advertises "All You Can Eat",
    they assume MOST of their traditional customers will interpret it in the
    *proper* fashion... :)

    Derek Janssen (ie., not forcibly stuff themselves like bulimic
    razorbacks, just because to validate the price)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2006
  6. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message

    > And notice how most of the complainers uncannily fall into the
    > "B-but...they SAID 'Unlimited rentals'!--WHY can't I rent 20 movies a
    > month, why, why, why??" lockstep.
    >
    > (Because...you're a greedy self-indulgent idiot who doesn't care about
    > running the company profits into the ground, that's why?) :)

    The only "lockstep" lemmings are the idiot apologists like you who can't
    comprehend honesty in advertising.
    Incremental Jones, Feb 11, 2006
  7. HoMoon115

    wunnuy Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > HoMoon115 wrote:
    > >
    > > READ THE FULL AP Article
    > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210...JVOqqxv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

    > And notice how most of the complainers uncannily fall into the
    > "B-but...they SAID 'Unlimited rentals'!--WHY can't I rent 20 movies a
    > month, why, why, why??" lockstep.
    >
    > (Because...you're a greedy self-indulgent idiot who doesn't care about
    > running the company profits into the ground, that's why?) :)

    What cracks me up is anytime someone points out Netflix's false
    advertising, some nimrod always makes the comments like this idiot did.
    It's not about not 'getting enough DVDs a month" it's about the company
    making a claim you can do one thing and then blantantly and admittedly
    not allowing it. If Netflix changed their advertising to "you can get
    three a week" or "we hold onto your disk for a couple days if you get a
    lot" then there wouldn't be a single comlpaint about throttling anymore
    since they would be advertising that's what they do, instead of
    advertising one thing and doing the opposite. So take your
    self-rightous, holier-than-thou bullshit and sell it someone who gives
    a shit about your lame ass opinion.
    wunnuy, Feb 11, 2006
  8. HoMoon115

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:26:31 +1100, "Zodiac"
    <> wrote:

    >So the consumer has to figure out what a company means by "unlimited" ?
    >Maybe they mean slightly unlimited.

    Is that like being partially pregnant?

    --

    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
    I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
    Bob, Feb 11, 2006
  9. HoMoon115

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:00:57 -0600, none <> wrote:

    >A new Netflix scam. They sent me a disc with the wrong region code so it
    >won't play. I thought I seen it all. Cracked discs, lost discs, now it's a
    >disc from Europe. Just great.

    Get DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter.

    Bob, Feb 11, 2006
  10. HoMoon115

    NFord Guest

    "Zodiac" <> wrote in message
    > So the consumer has to figure out what a company means by "unlimited" ? Maybe they mean slightly
    > unlimited.
    >

    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    >> HoMoon115 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> READ THE FULL AP Article
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210...JVOqqxv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

    >> And notice how most of the complainers uncannily fall into the "B-but...they SAID 'Unlimited
    >> rentals'!--WHY can't I rent 20 movies a month, why, why, why??" lockstep.
    >>
    >> (Because...you're a greedy self-indulgent idiot who doesn't care about running the company
    >> profits into the ground, that's why?) :)

    If customers' getting as many rentals a month as the
    mail delivery system allows runs the company's
    profits into the ground, all the company had to do
    was not advertise that they offer "unlimited" rentals.

    How hard could it have been to advertise: "For $xx
    you get up to 13 movies a month." instead of lying
    about "unlimited" rentals with 1-day delivery?

    I have little (make that *no*) sympathy for companies
    that lie in their advertising and then cry when people
    expect what was advertised.

    I have even less sympathy for someone who can't
    understand something that basic and, instead, attacks
    the victims of the liars.
    NFord, Feb 11, 2006
  11. HoMoon115

    Zodiac Guest

    I reckon you need a *proper* kick in the nuts ;o)

    Zodiac, Feb 11, 2006
  12. Zodiac wrote:

    >>>So the consumer has to figure out what a company means by "unlimited" ?
    >>>Maybe they mean slightly unlimited.

    >>Maybe they'll either:
    >>A) remember that the "unlimited" term dates back to the single-rental
    >>days, or
    >>B) that it distinguishes from the bare 2-out plan that only gives you four
    >>movies a month, set.
    >>
    >>Much the same theory as when a restaurant advertises "All You Can Eat",
    >>they assume MOST of their traditional customers will interpret it in the
    >>*proper* fashion... :)

    > I reckon you need a *proper* kick in the nuts ;o)

    Well, just saying, in legal terms, nobody ever actually *SUED* a
    restaurant for not giving them All They Could Eat, as clearly advertised--

    --Oh, wait, sorry, there was that Homer Simpson episode...
    Guess we do have legal precedent. ;)

    Derek Janssen (law is the jurisprudence of man)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2006
  13. HoMoon115

    Rich Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:37:59 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >>>Maybe they'll either:
    >>>A) remember that the "unlimited" term dates back to the single-rental
    >>>days, or
    >>>B) that it distinguishes from the bare 2-out plan that only gives you four
    >>>movies a month, set.
    >>>
    >>>Much the same theory as when a restaurant advertises "All You Can Eat",
    >>>they assume MOST of their traditional customers will interpret it in the
    >>>*proper* fashion... :)

    >> I reckon you need a *proper* kick in the nuts ;o)

    >Well, just saying, in legal terms, nobody ever actually *SUED* a
    >restaurant for not giving them All They Could Eat, as clearly advertised--
    >
    >--Oh, wait, sorry, there was that Homer Simpson episode...
    >Guess we do have legal precedent. ;)
    >
    >Derek Janssen (law is the jurisprudence of man)

    Netflix should have set specific limits, but then false advertising is
    much less effective when you tell the truth. :)
    Rich, Feb 11, 2006
  14. HoMoon115

    none Guest

    Should I have to hack the damn reatals to watch them?

    I think not.

    Netflix is starting to suck pretty bad. 3 out but I don't have any. One
    DVD is two days late. The only one that arrived on time (from 1000 miles
    away) is the wrong region code. THe other one is going back to Netflix on
    the Pony Express.
    none, Feb 11, 2006
  15. HoMoon115

    Agent_C Guest

    On 10 Feb 2006 13:19:08 -0800, "HoMoon115" <>
    wrote:

    >Advertising the service as "unlimited" is misleading and unethical.

    Perhaps, but it's the same old story... It's all about managing a
    shared resource. There's going to be some people who use it
    responsibly and others who hog it. Netflix is just trying to make the
    system fair for everybody without raising prices.

    What they really should do is establish different tiers of service and
    price them accordingly. IF I only rent 4 DVD's per month, why should I
    pay the same as someone who rents 10?

    A_C
    Agent_C, Feb 11, 2006
  16. HoMoon115

    Sam Rouse Guest

    In article <>,
    Agent_C <> wrote:

    > On 10 Feb 2006 13:19:08 -0800, "HoMoon115" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Advertising the service as "unlimited" is misleading and unethical.

    > Perhaps, but it's the same old story... It's all about managing a
    > shared resource. There's going to be some people who use it
    > responsibly and others who hog it. Netflix is just trying to make the
    > system fair for everybody without raising prices.
    >
    > What they really should do is establish different tiers of service and
    > price them accordingly. IF I only rent 4 DVD's per month, why should I
    > pay the same as someone who rents 10?

    They sort of do that, by offering plans ranging from 1-9 out at a time for
    different prices. Not getting enough flix? Pay more. Not worth it?
    Unsubscribe. It's pretty simple.

    All that this crusade is going to accomplish (if anything) is that Netflix will
    change their advertising, and/or apply a different monthly limit to each of the
    X-out plans. If the latter, those who normally rent within Netflix's profitable
    range will lose out on those rare times when they want (and are able) to turn a
    bunch of flicks around faster than normal. Either way, the crusaders will have
    their parade, and it will make no difference as to whether they find the service
    to be worth the monthly fee.
    Sam Rouse, Feb 11, 2006
  17. HoMoon115

    none Guest

    Take another toke from the bong dude. Netflix is not a shared resource.
    Netflix is pay for service. Netflix has different tiers of service.
    However, Netflix says they are all unlimited. It is kind of stupid. Maybe
    they should just charge a fixed fee per disc. It would eliminate the
    throttle games. Right now I'm not sure what I'm paying for. My total
    average is 3.05 per week but I only got 3 in the last two weeks so the
    average is going to drop if this continues.

    none, Feb 11, 2006
  18. HoMoon115

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 07:58:35 -0500, Agent_C
    <> wrote:

    >IF I only rent 4 DVD's per month, why should I
    >pay the same as someone who rents 10?

    Because it is still cheaper than any alternative.

    Bob, Feb 11, 2006
  19. HoMoon115

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 05:51:31 -0800, Sam Rouse <>
    wrote:

    >All that this crusade is going to accomplish (if anything) is that Netflix will
    >change their advertising, and/or apply a different monthly limit to each of the
    >X-out plans. If the latter, those who normally rent within Netflix's profitable
    >range will lose out on those rare times when they want (and are able) to turn a
    >bunch of flicks around faster than normal. Either way, the crusaders will have
    >their parade, and it will make no difference as to whether they find the service
    >to be worth the monthly fee.

    You are leaving out one important fact of reality, namely that NF does
    not own the rental DVD market on a permanent basis. Someone is going
    to come along and provide what the market wants for the price the
    market is willing to pay.

    If NF was profitable before it began throttling, then why does it need
    to throttle now?

    According to that article referenced earlier at

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060211/ap_on_bi_ge/netflix_throttling_6

    NF claims it costs 78 cents in postage alone. Bullshit. That's what an
    individual has to pay for First Class postage. NF has some sweetheart
    bulk mail deal with the USPS. I am not going to attempt to guess what
    the real cost is, but it sure isn't the same as putting 39 cent stamps
    on a letter.

    NF has gotten greedy, and that ALWAYS comes around.

    I want to see movies downloaded. The technology is there to make
    downloading affordable. MPEG-4 can compress a 45 minute show to as low
    as 233 MB and still play decently on a 19: TV. For those who want
    higher resolution, they can pay a bit more.

    My Road Runner ISP runs at 4 Mbps (nominally 400 KBps) which means I
    can steam a 400 MB file in 1000 seconds or 17 minutes. That's if it is
    on the RR server. If I have to go over the Internet the speed slows
    down considerably.

    Therefore imagine that RR (owned by AOL) decides to get into the
    downloading business. It can keep the content on massive servers at
    each of the RR ISPs, so the connection speed will be 400 MBps. Charge
    me a nominal fee and beat the crap out of DVD renters.

    This is going to take one more appliance to work - the networked
    player - like GoVideo. I download to my hard drive and then mount it
    on the player over Ethernet or WiFi. The player is also a DVDR so I
    can do the conventional things I can do now - all it has extra is the
    ability to play files on the network.

    Bob, Feb 11, 2006
  20. HoMoon115

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:09:22 -0600, none <> wrote:

    >Take another toke from the bong dude. Netflix is not a shared resource.
    >Netflix is pay for service. Netflix has different tiers of service.
    >However, Netflix says they are all unlimited. It is kind of stupid. Maybe
    >they should just charge a fixed fee per disc. It would eliminate the
    >throttle games. Right now I'm not sure what I'm paying for. My total
    >average is 3.05 per week but I only got 3 in the last two weeks so the
    >average is going to drop if this continues.

    Unsubscribe for a month. When you come back your regular service will
    be restored. Then it will begin to throttle. Unsub again.

    Do the math - even if you are unsubbed for a while, it you are not
    throttled for a while, you can catch up.

    Of course I would never suggest that when you are not being throttled
    you should burn copies for later use when you are unsubbed. No siree -
    not me. I would never do that.

    Bob, Feb 11, 2006