The Necronomicase

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by The Modfather, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Hey guys,
    Visit my site for all the pics and stuff...
    http://www.infinity-customs.com
    Click "read more" on the "Necronomicase - Photos" story.
    I haven't had a chance to make a BB code formatted version of a worklog for it yet. But the pics are there. It's about 80% finished in the artistic department and 0% finished in the actual functionality department. That's up to Steve, he's gonna have to put his own parts in there. But this is what we've pretty much decided on.
    NForce mobo
    Dual AMD Athlon Opteron dual core procs (not sure which ones yet)
    BFG GeForce 7800 GTX GPU
    2 GB memory (Still don't know what brand or speed as yet)
    DVD +/- RW Drive (stripped of its faceplate, as seen in the pics there, but with some clay accenting to make it look interesting)
    A multifunction 3.5" bay device of some sort
    If we can find one, some sort of 3.5" VFD.
    A few notes on the mod itself.
    The whole machine is constructed of the skeleton of a Skyhawk case with all of its parts removed and then sheathed with clay and fired then hand painted with over 30 different colors to create the human flesh apperance. This is a true "Art" case, every detail of it is hand crafted and I used only the best supplies for it. The paints are Grumbacher professional acrylic, I used Grumbacher sable brushes and Artex clear arcylic sealant. The clay alone consists of 60lbs of Sculpey Premo at a cost of over $500 (A lot of freakin' clay). The eyes in the face are actual unset Tsavorite gems (a precious gem from Tanzania which was brought directly from there, the stones are each 1.5kt and have a market value of about $6000.00 each. Why did I use actual prescious gems for this? It'd take too long to explain but this project is VERY special to me and the person I gave it to (my sister) and I are very close. And we both have a love of fantasy and horror so she would appreciate the details here. Each of the Tsavorite gems is backlit with a white LED to give them brillance. The face into which they're set is actually sculpted from my own. That was a weird experience lemmy tell ya. :)
    The areas where you see what looks like gold, are in fact gold. There are areas on the case where I layered it with 24k gold leaf and burnished it for that effect. Other areas are layered with sterling silver leaf and also burnished.
    There are details to this rig that I can't really show off too well with these pics but which I'll try to show in future closeups.
    The human form on the top of the case is NOT a handle. I have to tell everyone that in case they try to use it to pick it up. It's sculpted on there, there is no handle under the clay. Since the case weighs in at over 80lbs, it'd break if you tried to do that and I would have to kill someone. :)
    The symbol on the door on the case is the "True Elder Sign". Most people picture the star with the oval in the center when they think of the Elder Sign, but H.P. Lovecraft actually drew this symbol that I used on the door in the margins of the original ms. for The Call of Cthulhu. The later Elder Sign was designed by August Derleth for his own writings in the Cthulhu Mythos because he had never seen the original.
    Inscribed on the side panels of the case are every sigil of the Old Ones from the Necronomicon which are where the majority of the gold leafing is inlayed.
    I once put this case up on EBay for sale and it did not reach my reserve price but did reach the $14,000.00 mark. My reserve was $18,000. It's an expensive piece and that's without any computer residing inside it. This is the case I began a little under two years ago and it's been the major project. The Chopper PC took a lot of time away from it and I'm just now getting back to it and adding final details.
    The skulls in the drive bays are just the start of what's going to happen "inside" the case. UV lighting will play a part in it obviously as will other high detail items. I'm busy sculpting more skulls and nasties for this at the moment. We need more UV lights for the case though, we're going to have to get 3 UV fans (2 to use in the rear of the case and one to borrow just the light from to put in the drive cage). The case will only have the one 5 1/4" bay device, the rest of the space, as you see, is for artistic purposes.
    This computer is designed to give you nightmares. Pics don't do it justice. I'm real proud of how this thing's turned out so far. I consider it a nice big slap in the face of H.R. Geiger, who was going to be the original inspiration for this project but, he had his agent trash talk me and tell me that I wasn't worthy of doing a tribute to Geiger, the guy is a complete egomaniac and a total asshole. This is in part one way for me to say "Hey Geiger, you suck! Bite me fanboi!" :)
    The Modfather, Oct 17, 2005

  2. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Very good stuff dude, that Geiger knob deserves a slap in the face by the sounds of it. That's some psycho modding there. And you say it reached $14 000USD? Damn...
    XhArD, Oct 17, 2005

  3. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeah but I couldn't sell it for that. That'd cover the cost of the tsavorite and other parts but none of my work. Most of the other machines I build are a HELL of lot cheaper than the two I've shown so far. The Titan for instance, that probably cost me like $90 for the case, $300 for the lighting and other modding stuff and the hardware was maybe another $800 or so. A normal priced modded rig at least. Not counting my time doing all the etching and stuff. So far though, the only 3 mods I've bothered to photograph have been ones that stayed in the family. The Titan was for my Dad, the Chopper is mine and the Necro is my sister's. I should have taken pics of some of the comissioned pieces. As it is all I have are 3D renders I mocked up for the people who wanted 'em to show them what it'd be similar to. <shrug>
    me
    The Modfather, Oct 17, 2005
  4. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    So the Necronomicase is your sisters? Is she a pc nut, or is the case getting wasted on her? Did you charge her for it, or did you build it then give it to her?
    XhArD, Oct 17, 2005
  5. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    one word that could describe this case is not enough...
    so i have decided to use 2 :D... MAXIMUM SWEET!!!
    unholy, Oct 17, 2005
  6. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Not enough what?
    No I didn't charge her for it, she's my sister, yeesh!
    No she's not a computer nut, in fact she doesn't know anything about computers at all. Mostly her Fiancee will use it (Steve, who's part of Infinity Customs) but she loves the design so...
    Me
    The Modfather, Oct 18, 2005
  7. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Its too good u cant describe it in 1 word.
    unholy, Oct 18, 2005
  8. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    It just seems like giving away a computer you expected $18K for is just a tad bit much :|
    XhArD, Oct 18, 2005
  9. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Um, no, not really. I've given away more than that in my life. I've had a lot more than that stolen from me by people I hate. So giving something like that to my sister who I love doesn't even register on the "big deal" scale. I've always been the kinda guy who shares whatever I've got when i can. I can't really discuss certain financial things but, when we came into some money about 5 years ago we pretty much spent part of it on remodeling our house and the rest we gave away to family in the form of whatever they needed. Or we gave a lot to charity and so forth. I like stuff, but I'm not totally materialistic. I mean, I love my gadgets and I like to have nice things but, it's more important to me that the people around me are happy than anything else.
    Ya gotta think of it this way, it's the people around you who are gonna make you happiest, not the things. So if you can make them happy, it just spreads around and comes back to you. I like that. :)
    The Modfather, Oct 18, 2005
  10. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    oh yer i nilly Forgot... i rate it
    [​IMG]
    unholy, Oct 18, 2005
  11. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Cool, does that mean it gets put on the front page too? :)
    The Modfather, Oct 19, 2005
  12. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    nah :p make a work log link (to the whole thing)
    then i will put it on da front page :D
    unholy, Oct 19, 2005
  13. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I have to make the worklog, but I can't get any of the older in-progress pics of the actual design of the sculpting and case cutting, they were on my old site and I thought I had them locally but I don't, they were on an older machine that's dead now. Ugh! It'll take me a while to get into the mood to do any more worklogs or any more modding, if I ever do again. I just got an Email from CPU, apparantly the Chopper is "not what they're looking for". Apparantly what they ARE looking for is more computers stuffed into trashcans for their Mad Reader Mods. If only I'd known that talent skill and quality had nothing to do with getting in that mag I'd have put an old PC/XT into a lamp and submitted that. So right now, I'm fed up with modding.
    The Modfather, Oct 20, 2005
  14. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Man dont be. Some ppl may hate ur mods... some may like.
    For istance if they want a trash can let them accidently fry a computer because they couldn't drink the last feww drips from a can.
    Honesty i think they missed how cool the Chopper is. If it were for computer magz over here, they would be all over it :D
    unholy, Oct 20, 2005
  15. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Well what bugs me the most is that I originally started the project as a cover story for their PC Modder quarterly magazine, which they were supposed to pay for in total as well as paying me for the build and the article. Then the editor who I was in contact with all of the sudden decides to quit CPU for another job and doesn't bother to tell anyone else on staff that he'd been working on this with me. So here I sat with $7000 in parts that I took a loan against my life insurance to get and no way to get compensated for it. I'd just gotten a brand new computer (The Sony) and was paying that off so I didn't need this extra expense. I contacted the Editor in Chief of the magazine (Samit) and he didn't have much to offer me, he said "submit it for a rig of the month, it'll win". So that's what I did and now I get this "it's not what we're looking for" crap and Samit has left CPU to work at Microsoft so I can't email him and bitch either. It sucks!
    The Modfather, Oct 20, 2005
  16. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Sounds like you get knocked around a bit over there, by chemical plant owners and editors alike. What sods on that magazine, how can the Chopper not be what they are looking for? What else is there to look for?? A lack of talent and design?
    XhArD, Oct 20, 2005
  17. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    a bin with rubbish in it... (intel in a bin) thats what they are looking for. if u had a amd then might like it betta?
    unholy, Oct 20, 2005
  18. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    The Modfather, Oct 21, 2005
  19. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    maybe... do they like AMD's betta then Intels?
    unholy, Oct 22, 2005
  20. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeah, they do. Most mags do. But it shouldn't have a bearing on whether or not they accept a mod. I'd submit the Necro but it has no guts and it was the damned Chopper getting in there that I'd been depending on to be able to afford to get parts for the Necro. So, screw it. Steve will have to get his own parts for the machine somehow. Damnit!
    The Modfather, Oct 23, 2005