the mysterious system file corruption

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by liquidflame802, Jul 8, 2009.

1. liquidflame802

liquidflame802

I know my computer inside and out software and hardware wise but this just confused me. When the rare system file corrupt or missing error comes around I know exactly what to do, but this came up and I was stuck. I used my Windows recovery tool thing to repair the system file, but it was like there was no Windows OS ever installed on the thing. The partition information reads it's a FAT based partition, though it's an NTFS Windows XP partition, and when I go into the DOS based recovery tool it never brings me to C:\Windows nor will it let me change the directory to it, so I can't provide admin info to get through. I'm unable to do anything to bring up the Windows folder and replace the corrupted system file. I have a separate partition for Windows Vista, but the boot record won't even get accessed for me to choose between OS. I'm just met with "Invalid Partition Table".

System has a SATA 250gb hard drive that is still functional, checked on my other computer and it reads the disk, the data, everything.

Is there any way I can possibly replace the system files running through a separate partition or computer completely? I'm not quite ready to back up and wipe my drive just yet. :banghead:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    liquidflame802, Jul 8, 2009
    1. Advertising