The most awesome strap in the universe . . .

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Miller, Aug 6, 2011.

  1. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Okay, so my experience with neck straps is limited due to a neck injury
    10 years ago that makes the usual neck strap uncomfortable with my 5D
    and even a small lens. I have been using a holster case that I can strap
    over one shoulder and then across my chest/back to the opposite hip.
    That is the most comfortable solution for me but it is bulky. While I
    can use a regular strap over the shoulder in the same fashion, the strap
    grabs my clothes and must slide around my body in order the bring the
    strap up. If I don't put it over my head, the strap tends to fall off my
    shoulder. I ran across this strap system online and immediately bought one.

    http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/

    These things have probably been around awhile, but I've just found them.
    It works on my 5D perfect and even on my Olympus E-P2 pretty well. Does
    anyone else use one of these?

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com

    Eric Miller, Aug 6, 2011

  2. Eric Miller

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/6/2011 12:34 AM, Eric Miller wrote:
    > Okay, so my experience with neck straps is limited due to a neck injury
    > 10 years ago that makes the usual neck strap uncomfortable with my 5D
    > and even a small lens. I have been using a holster case that I can strap
    > over one shoulder and then across my chest/back to the opposite hip.
    > That is the most comfortable solution for me but it is bulky. While I
    > can use a regular strap over the shoulder in the same fashion, the strap
    > grabs my clothes and must slide around my body in order the bring the
    > strap up. If I don't put it over my head, the strap tends to fall off my
    > shoulder. I ran across this strap system online and immediately bought one.
    >
    > http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/
    >
    > These things have probably been around awhile, but I've just found them.
    > It works on my 5D perfect and even on my Olympus E-P2 pretty well. Does
    > anyone else use one of these?

    Wouldn't be without it. I have both the single and double camera models.
    they save a lot of wear an tear on my back and neck.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 6, 2011

  3. Eric Miller

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 23:34:32 -0500, Eric Miller
    <> wrote:

    >Okay, so my experience with neck straps is limited due to a neck injury
    >10 years ago that makes the usual neck strap uncomfortable with my 5D
    >and even a small lens. I have been using a holster case that I can strap
    >over one shoulder and then across my chest/back to the opposite hip.
    >That is the most comfortable solution for me but it is bulky. While I
    >can use a regular strap over the shoulder in the same fashion, the strap
    >grabs my clothes and must slide around my body in order the bring the
    >strap up. If I don't put it over my head, the strap tends to fall off my
    >shoulder. I ran across this strap system online and immediately bought one.
    >
    >http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/
    >
    >These things have probably been around awhile, but I've just found them.
    >It works on my 5D perfect and even on my Olympus E-P2 pretty well. Does
    >anyone else use one of these?

    They've been around and promoted for quite a while. I looked at one,
    but didn't buy it because I keep my tripod quick-change plate
    permanently attached to my camera body. I could see the benefit of
    it, but it was offset by the loss of not being able to quickly mount
    my camera on my tripod. I don't have a lens with a tripod socket.

    If you don't use a tripod frequently, it would be a good accessory.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 6, 2011
  4. "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    > On 2011-08-05 21:34:32 -0700, Eric Miller <>
    > said:
    >
    >> Okay, so my experience with neck straps is limited due to a neck injury 10
    >> years ago that makes the usual neck strap uncomfortable with my 5D and even a
    >> small lens. I have been using a holster case that I can strap over one
    >> shoulder and then across my chest/back to the opposite hip. That is the most
    >> comfortable solution for me but it is bulky. While I can use a regular strap
    >> over the shoulder in the same fashion, the strap grabs my clothes and must
    >> slide around my body in order the bring the strap up. If I don't put it over
    >> my head, the strap tends to fall off my shoulder. I ran across this strap
    >> system online and immediately bought one.
    >>
    >> http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/
    >>
    >> These things have probably been around awhile, but I've just found them. It
    >> works on my 5D perfect and even on my Olympus E-P2 pretty well. Does anyone
    >> else use one of these?
    >>
    >> Eric Miller
    >> www.dyesscreek.com

    > Yup! The Blackrapid strap is essential as far as I am concerned once the DSLR
    > moves into the weighty area.
    > No neck pain is very good, especially if you are lugging that camera for any
    > length of time.
    >
    > The only drawback I can see, is the inconvenience when it comes to tripod
    > mounting. For now, if I plan Tripod use I have a quick release plate handy to
    > replace the Blackrapid fitting.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Another drawback I see is in using a grip - the mounting hardware of the strap
    make it uncomfortable to hold your hand on the grip when holding the camera in
    "portrait" mode. A cure for this is to mount the strap to the camera eyelet
    using a split O-ring.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 8, 2011
  5. Eric Miller

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/8/2011 10:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    <snip>
    > I use the Blackrapid strap with my D300s + MB-D10 and shooting in
    > "portrait" orientation is not an issue for me, and isn't at all
    > uncomfortable. That said I do have big ham hands.
    >
    > I don't believe using a single camera eyelet to support the weight of
    > camera and grip is a great idea. A single point bearing that 5.5-6.5 Lb
    > load (depending on lens) is more likely to fail. Those eyelets are meant
    > to share the load.
    >
    > Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid
    > strap attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit
    > safer, when using it hand held.

    I agree that mounting on the lens would give better balance.
    You just gave me an idea.
    I have an extra tripod for for my 70 - 200. I can fit one with ay quick
    release and the other for my Black Rapid. When I want to use a tripod,
    it's just a matter of snapping off one foot and snapping in the other.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 9, 2011
  6. "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    > On 2011-08-08 05:10:21 -0700, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> said:
    >
    >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> Yup! The Blackrapid strap is essential as far as I am concerned once the
    >>> DSLR
    >>> moves into the weighty area.
    >>> No neck pain is very good, especially if you are lugging that camera for any
    >>> length of time.
    >>>
    >>> The only drawback I can see, is the inconvenience when it comes to tripod
    >>> mounting. For now, if I plan Tripod use I have a quick release plate handy
    >>> replace the Blackrapid fitting.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Savageduck

    >> Another drawback I see is in using a grip - the mounting hardware of the
    >> strap
    >> make it uncomfortable to hold your hand on the grip when holding the camera
    >> in
    >> "portrait" mode. A cure for this is to mount the strap to the camera eyelet
    >> using a split O-ring.

    > I use the Blackrapid strap with my D300s + MB-D10 and shooting in "portrait"
    > orientation is not an issue for me, and isn't at all uncomfortable. That said
    > I do have big ham hands.

    "Big Ham Hands"? LOL. I don't have large hands so perhaps that's why it feels
    cumbersome in my hands.

    > I don't believe using a single camera eyelet to support the weight of camera
    > and grip is a great idea. A single point bearing that 5.5-6.5 Lb load
    > (depending on lens) is more likely to fail. Those eyelets are meant to share
    > the load.

    That's why I use the Op/Tech Sling Strap. It mounts to the camera eyelet and
    the grip eyelet. Since this is not a perfect setup, there are drawbacks. when
    shooting in portrait orientation, the strap can get in your way but it is easy
    to disconnect one or both of the connections. When I find the strap interfering
    when shooting in portrait orientation, I just unsnap the buckle on the end that
    attaches to the grip. The cost of the Op/Tech is reasonable too, about $ 20.00.

    > Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid strap
    > attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit safer, when
    > using it hand held.

    With an R-Strap, I would carry my 70-200mm lens on my camera with the strap
    mounted to the lens. I wouldn't let it just hang by my side, I would always
    keep a hand on it, but that's just me.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 9, 2011
  7. Eric Miller

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/10/2011 1:13 AM, otter wrote:
    > On Aug 9 2011 8:37 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >
    >> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid strap
    >>> attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit safer,

    > when
    >>> using it hand held.

    >> With an R-Strap, I would carry my 70-200mm lens on my camera with the strap
    >> mounted to the lens. I wouldn't let it just hang by my side, I would always
    >> keep a hand on it, but that's just me.

    > Unless I'm going to use a tripod, I have a monopod attached to the 70-200,
    > and the R strap attached to the body. It travels just fine by my hip with
    > the monopod either collapsed, or partially collapsed with the leg
    > sticking up by my shoulder. I always keep one hand on it, like you say.
    >
    > I can't see extensively handholding the 70-200, although I do it sometimes
    > with the monopod collapsed if I don't have time to set up.

    Each of us works differently. When dong walkabout shots, such as surfers
    & bird colonies, I attach a 1.7 extender to the 70 -200, crank the ISO
    to about 1250 and handhold. For landscape I rarely handhold, as I like
    to spend time composing. A tripod forces me to do that.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 10, 2011
  8. "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    > On 2011-08-09 05:37:32 -0700, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> said:
    >

    >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >>> On 2011-08-08 05:10:21 -0700, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <>
    >>> said:

    > <<< Le Snip >>>

    >>> I use the Blackrapid strap with my D300s + MB-D10 and shooting in "portrait"
    >>> orientation is not an issue for me, and isn't at all uncomfortable. That
    >>> said
    >>> I do have big ham hands.

    >> "Big Ham Hands"? LOL. I don't have large hands so perhaps that's why it
    >> feels
    >> cumbersome in my hands.

    > As I said I have big ham hands, so the D300s + MB-D10 is a good fit for me. I
    > don't do well with dainty cameras. ;-)
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/IMG_0401R2.jpg >
    >
    > ...and when in the "portrait" orientation the hardware lies pretty flat and
    > doesn't give me too much of a problem.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/IMG_0405W.jpg >

    That's huge thuimb! :)

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 11, 2011
  9. Eric Miller

    me Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 19:42:41 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >I agree that mounting on the lens would give better balance.
    >You just gave me an idea.
    >I have an extra tripod for for my 70 - 200. I can fit one with ay quick
    >release and the other for my Black Rapid. When I want to use a tripod,
    >it's just a matter of snapping off one foot and snapping in the other.

    I'm trying mine out with the tripod foot removed and strap mounted
    directly to the 70-200. Personally, I'm finding the system a bit to
    free for really trekking around causing to have to hold on to the
    camera/lens a fair bit more as compared to using a long regular strap
    with slung over my haed/shoulder with the camera facing towards me.

    I haven't been brave enough to try the strap on my 200-400 whose
    tripod foot is non-removable.

    me, Aug 17, 2011
  10. Eric Miller

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/17/2011 5:38 PM, me wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 19:42:41 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I agree that mounting on the lens would give better balance.
    >> You just gave me an idea.
    >> I have an extra tripod for for my 70 - 200. I can fit one with ay quick
    >> release and the other for my Black Rapid. When I want to use a tripod,
    >> it's just a matter of snapping off one foot and snapping in the other.

    > I'm trying mine out with the tripod foot removed and strap mounted
    > directly to the 70-200. Personally, I'm finding the system a bit to
    > free for really trekking around causing to have to hold on to the
    > camera/lens a fair bit more as compared to using a long regular strap
    > with slung over my haed/shoulder with the camera facing towards me.
    >
    > I haven't been brave enough to try the strap on my 200-400 whose
    > tripod foot is non-removable.

    I tried my idea and it wasn't a good one. I prefer for the lens to hang
    down, which it does nicely when the strap is attached to the camera
    body. I am forced to use the dual strap, either as a single or a double.
    My original single has magnets that interfere with my pacemaker. I am
    trying to find someone local who can remove the magnets and substitute
    Velcro.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 18, 2011
  11. Eric Miller

    otter Guest

    On Aug 17, 11:54 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2011-08-17 21:05:49 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >

    > > On 8/17/2011 5:38 PM, me wrote:

    > >> I'm trying mine out with the tripod foot removed and strap mounted
    > >> directly to the 70-200. Personally, I'm finding the system a bit to
    > >> free for really trekking around causing to have to hold on to the
    > >> camera/lens a fair bit more as compared to using a long regular strap
    > >> with slung over my haed/shoulder with the camera facing towards me.

    > >> I haven't been brave enough to try the strap on my 200-400 whose
    > >> tripod foot is non-removable.

    > > I tried my idea and it wasn't a good one. I prefer for the lens to hang
    > > down, which it does nicely when the strap is attached to the camera
    > > body. I am forced to use the dual strap, either as a single or a
    > > double. My original single has magnets that interfere with my
    > > pacemaker. I am trying to find someone local who can remove the magnets
    > > and substitute Velcro.

    > Magnets?
    > Please explain, as I am having a problem finding any magnets in my
    > (single) Blackrapid.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    I think the RS-5 has magnets.

    otter, Aug 18, 2011
  12. Eric Miller

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2011 12:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-08-17 21:05:49 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 8/17/2011 5:38 PM, me wrote:

    >>> I'm trying mine out with the tripod foot removed and strap mounted
    >>> directly to the 70-200. Personally, I'm finding the system a bit to
    >>> free for really trekking around causing to have to hold on to the
    >>> camera/lens a fair bit more as compared to using a long regular strap
    >>> with slung over my haed/shoulder with the camera facing towards me.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been brave enough to try the strap on my 200-400 whose
    >>> tripod foot is non-removable.

    >> I tried my idea and it wasn't a good one. I prefer for the lens to
    >> hang down, which it does nicely when the strap is attached to the
    >> camera body. I am forced to use the dual strap, either as a single or
    >> a double. My original single has magnets that interfere with my
    >> pacemaker. I am trying to find someone local who can remove the
    >> magnets and substitute Velcro.

    > Magnets?
    > Please explain, as I am having a problem finding any magnets in my
    > (single) Blackrapid.

    Here ya go!

    <http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-5/>

    --