    Any takers?

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Oct 16, 2007

  2. M-M

    T. Baxter Guest

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:07:27 -0400, M-M <> wrote:

    >I was just wondering if we could see a photo of the moon taken with that
    >camera.
    >
    >It's now approaching the best week for photos, with the shadows of the
    >craters in sharp contrast.
    >
    >It is really a difficult subject to photograph with any camera but I'm
    >SURE the 40D can do it justice.
    >
    >Any takers?

    They're afraid to. There have already been way too many hand-held images of the
    moon taken with 400+mm zoom lenses of P&S cameras that already show that the
    resolution and image qualities from that simple test beat even the very best Mk
    DSLRs with L-glass.

    T. Baxter, Oct 16, 2007

  3. M-M

    Craig Guest

    M-M wrote:

    > I was just wondering if we could see a photo of the moon taken with
    > that camera.
    >
    > It's now approaching the best week for photos, with the shadows of
    > the craters in sharp contrast.
    >
    > It is really a difficult subject to photograph with any camera but
    > I'm SURE the 40D can do it justice.
    >
    > Any takers?

    You mean like this one?

    http://www.ocastronomers.org/astroimages/album.asp?ID=5641

    Craig, Oct 16, 2007
  4. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <0TUQi.13177$>,
    "Craig" <CBobchin@My_SkinSBCGlobal.net> wrote:

    > M-M wrote:
    >
    > > I was just wondering if we could see a photo of the moon taken with
    > > that camera.
    > >
    > > It's now approaching the best week for photos, with the shadows of
    > > the craters in sharp contrast.
    > >
    > > It is really a difficult subject to photograph with any camera but
    > > I'm SURE the 40D can do it justice.
    > >
    > > Any takers?

    > You mean like this one?
    >
    > http://www.ocastronomers.org/astroimages/album.asp?ID=5641

    That's a good one. A bit oversharpened to my eye. But I was thinking
    more along the lines of a camera lens, maybe 400mm with a TC or two- not
    an 11 inch telescope. A P&S could take that photo by holding it up to
    the telescope eyepiece

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Oct 16, 2007
  5. M-M

    Pete D Guest

    "M-M" <> wrote in message
    > In article <0TUQi.13177$>,
    > "Craig" <CBobchin@My_SkinSBCGlobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >> M-M wrote:
    >>
    >> > I was just wondering if we could see a photo of the moon taken with
    >> > that camera.
    >> >
    >> > It's now approaching the best week for photos, with the shadows of
    >> > the craters in sharp contrast.
    >> >
    >> > It is really a difficult subject to photograph with any camera but
    >> > I'm SURE the 40D can do it justice.
    >> >
    >> > Any takers?

    >> You mean like this one?
    >>
    >> http://www.ocastronomers.org/astroimages/album.asp?ID=5641

    > That's a good one. A bit oversharpened to my eye. But I was thinking
    > more along the lines of a camera lens, maybe 400mm with a TC or two- not
    > an 11 inch telescope. A P&S could take that photo by holding it up to
    > the telescope eyepiece
    >
    > --
    > m-m

    Just how many rules are you going to make?

    Pete D, Oct 16, 2007
  6. M-M wrote:
    >> http://www.ocastronomers.org/astroimages/album.asp?ID=5641

    > That's a good one. A bit oversharpened to my eye. But I was thinking
    > more along the lines of a camera lens, maybe 400mm with a TC or two- not
    > an 11 inch telescope. A P&S could take that photo by holding it up to
    > the telescope eyepiece

    Done only with camera lenses:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.astrophoto-1/web/moon-JZ3F3658-60-c-5x-700.html

    The above image is limited by atmospheric turbulence.

    But let's try a tougher test: Image Saturn and it's rings
    with only camera lenses. This one was done with jpegs:

    http://www.clarkvision.com/astro/saturn.03.02.2004

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 16, 2007
  7. M-M

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Oct 16, 2007
  8. M-M wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> But let's try a tougher test: Image Saturn and it's rings
    >> with only camera lenses. This one was done with jpegs:
    >>
    >> http://www.clarkvision.com/astro/saturn.03.02.2004

    > How's this-

    Miniscule!

    you may remember-

    > Image Saturn's rings *handheld* with a (VR) camera lens:
    >
    > http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/sat0371.jpg

    I can't tell anything from that one.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Oct 16, 2007
  9. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > > How's this-

    > Miniscule!
    >
    > you may remember-
    > >
    > > Image Saturn's rings *handheld* with a (VR) camera lens:
    > >
    > > http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/sat0371.jpg

    > I can't tell anything from that one.

    Miniscule, of course. But the rings are definitely resolved in this 100%
    crop. No photoshop. And Roger proved mathematically that it is genuine.

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Oct 16, 2007