    modem?

    Thanks
    Antonio

    Antonio, May 17, 2004

  2. Antonio

    Mats K Guest

    Antonio wrote:
    > To use my Linux based computer as a VOIP<->PSTN gateway i need a
    > special modem or a voice modem or could it be any regular modem?
    >
    > All my in office branches will use ATAs connected to a hub, the
    > gateway will be to connect the ATAs to the regular phone line (PSTN).
    >
    > I already have a modem on my pc, will i be able to use it? Why they
    > recommend those digium modems? In what they differ from the regular
    > modem?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Antonio

    An simplified answer is:

    A modem converts data to signals that can be carried by telephone lines.

    A digium card converts "talk" from the telephone line to digital signals.

    So NO you can't usa a modem to convert "talk" to digital signals and
    YES you need a digium card to connect your asterisk to the PSTN network.

    /Mats

    Mats K, May 17, 2004

  3. Antonio

    Antonio Guest

    Is there any other cheaper option for digium cards?

    Antonio, May 18, 2004
  4. Antonio

    Mats K Guest

    > > Antonio wrote:
    > > > To use my Linux based computer as a VOIP<->PSTN gateway i need a
    > > > special modem or a voice modem or could it be any regular modem?
    > > >
    > > > All my in office branches will use ATAs connected to a hub, the
    > > > gateway will be to connect the ATAs to the regular phone line (PSTN).
    > > >
    > > > I already have a modem on my pc, will i be able to use it? Why they
    > > > recommend those digium modems? In what they differ from the regular
    > > > modem?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Antonio

    > > An simplified answer is:
    > >
    > > A modem converts data to signals that can be carried by telephone lines.
    > >
    > > A digium card converts "talk" from the telephone line to digital

    signals.

    > > So NO you can't usa a modem to convert "talk" to digital signals and
    > > YES you need a digium card to connect your asterisk to the PSTN network.
    > >

    > > /Mats

    Have you even bother to take a look at the hardware page at
    www.asterisks.org ?

    Please read that page!

    /Mats

    Mats K, May 18, 2004
  5. Antonio

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:57:11 +0200, "Mats K"
    <> wrote:
    <snip>
    >Have you even bother to take a look at the hardware page at
    >www.asterisks.org ?
    >
    >Please read that page!

    I did. However,
    www.asterisk.org
    works a lot better for learning about Asterisk.
    --
    John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
    This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

    , May 20, 2004