The Middle Ages and, well, I'm too embarassed to say the rest

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Freides, Sep 11, 2008.

  1. I'm teaching a class. I forgot to bring a book entitled, "The Waning of
    the Middle Ages" from which I wanted to read a paragraph or two. The
    author's name is Johan H. Huizinga.

    So I point the web browser, IE 6, to www.google.com, then I type in "the
    waning of the middle ages" and, first in the list of hits, is the whole
    book in Google Books. "Great," I think. I was hoping to maybe find it
    on amazon.com or otherwise find perhaps a choice quotation or two from
    it, but this is even better.

    When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads at
    the bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of those ads is
    for "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black Thugs in Your Area"
    to the right of it. I am, needless to say, a little put off by this.

    I try it again and get the same results. I shut down the browser, start
    it up, try it again, and get it yet again. I give up, explain the whole
    thing to the class, and we have a good laugh.

    I then go to the department office and try the same thing on the
    secretary's computer, but she doesn't get the Google Books link at all.
    When we add "google books" to the search expression, we do get a Google
    Books link, but when we go there, she doesn't get that ad.

    When I try this from home, I don't get that ad, either. I've got two
    things from textbooks.com instead.

    Does _anyone_ have _any_ idea how the hell things like this happen?
    Could it have something to do with, e.g., a previous user of the
    computer in the classroom? I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble but
    I sure as hell am curious as to what the connection between the book I
    was looking at and black, gay thugs is. I ask about a previous user
    only because I know we all use the same userid on this computer.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 11, 2008

  2. Steve Freides

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:19:56 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:

    > Does _anyone_ have _any_ idea how the hell things like this happen?
    > Could it have something to do with, e.g., a previous user of the
    > computer in the classroom? I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble but
    > I sure as hell am curious as to what the connection between the book I
    > was looking at and black, gay thugs is. I ask about a previous user
    > only because I know we all use the same userid on this computer.

    Browser cookies.

    Dan C, Sep 11, 2008

  3. Steve Freides

    ian field Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    > I'm teaching a class. I forgot to bring a book entitled, "The Waning of
    > the Middle Ages" from which I wanted to read a paragraph or two. The
    > author's name is Johan H. Huizinga.
    >
    > So I point the web browser, IE 6, to www.google.com, then I type in "the
    > waning of the middle ages" and, first in the list of hits, is the whole
    > book in Google Books. "Great," I think. I was hoping to maybe find it on
    > amazon.com or otherwise find perhaps a choice quotation or two from it,
    > but this is even better.
    >
    > When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads at the
    > bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of those ads is for
    > "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black Thugs in Your Area" to
    > the right of it. I am, needless to say, a little put off by this.
    >
    > I try it again and get the same results. I shut down the browser, start
    > it up, try it again, and get it yet again. I give up, explain the whole
    > thing to the class, and we have a good laugh.
    >
    > I then go to the department office and try the same thing on the
    > secretary's computer, but she doesn't get the Google Books link at all.
    > When we add "google books" to the search expression, we do get a Google
    > Books link, but when we go there, she doesn't get that ad.
    >
    > When I try this from home, I don't get that ad, either. I've got two
    > things from textbooks.com instead.
    >
    > Does _anyone_ have _any_ idea how the hell things like this happen? Could
    > it have something to do with, e.g., a previous user of the computer in the
    > classroom? I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble but I sure as hell am
    > curious as to what the connection between the book I was looking at and
    > black, gay thugs is. I ask about a previous user only because I know we
    > all use the same userid on this computer.
    >
    > -S-

    He's behind you!!!

    ian field, Sep 11, 2008
  4. Steve Freides

    Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote:

    >I'm teaching a class. I forgot to bring a book entitled, "The Waning of
    >the Middle Ages" from which I wanted to read a paragraph or two. The
    >author's name is Johan H. Huizinga.
    >
    >So I point the web browser, IE 6, to www.google.com, then I type in "the
    >waning of the middle ages" and, first in the list of hits, is the whole
    >book in Google Books. "Great," I think. I was hoping to maybe find it
    >on amazon.com or otherwise find perhaps a choice quotation or two from
    >it, but this is even better.
    >
    >When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads at
    >the bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of those ads is
    >for "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black Thugs in Your Area"
    >to the right of it. I am, needless to say, a little put off by this.
    >
    >I try it again and get the same results. I shut down the browser, start
    >it up, try it again, and get it yet again. I give up, explain the whole
    >thing to the class, and we have a good laugh.
    >
    >I then go to the department office and try the same thing on the
    >secretary's computer, but she doesn't get the Google Books link at all.
    >When we add "google books" to the search expression, we do get a Google
    >Books link, but when we go there, she doesn't get that ad.
    >
    >When I try this from home, I don't get that ad, either. I've got two
    >things from textbooks.com instead.
    >
    >Does _anyone_ have _any_ idea how the hell things like this happen?
    >Could it have something to do with, e.g., a previous user of the
    >computer in the classroom? I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble but
    >I sure as hell am curious as to what the connection between the book I
    >was looking at and black, gay thugs is. I ask about a previous user
    >only because I know we all use the same userid on this computer.

    Cookies, and how the ads are cycled, did they pay to be seen only so
    many times, was it time for another ad, your location...

    I've seen many misplaced ads, Story about a rape and an ad next to it
    about meeting girls in your area.

    Look in to a HOSTS file and you won't have this problem again.

    The one I use
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

    --

    Free Credit Report you see on T.V. is a scam as we all know.
    Here is a truly free credit report, it will ask for your SSN

    , Sep 11, 2008
  5. <> wrote in message
    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm teaching a class. I forgot to bring a book entitled, "The Waning
    >>of
    >>the Middle Ages" from which I wanted to read a paragraph or two. The
    >>author's name is Johan H. Huizinga.
    >>
    >>So I point the web browser, IE 6, to www.google.com, then I type in
    >>"the
    >>waning of the middle ages" and, first in the list of hits, is the
    >>whole
    >>book in Google Books. "Great," I think. I was hoping to maybe find
    >>it
    >>on amazon.com or otherwise find perhaps a choice quotation or two from
    >>it, but this is even better.
    >>
    >>When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads at
    >>the bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of those ads
    >>is
    >>for "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black Thugs in Your
    >>Area"
    >>to the right of it. I am, needless to say, a little put off by this.
    >>
    >>I try it again and get the same results. I shut down the browser,
    >>start
    >>it up, try it again, and get it yet again. I give up, explain the
    >>whole
    >>thing to the class, and we have a good laugh.
    >>
    >>I then go to the department office and try the same thing on the
    >>secretary's computer, but she doesn't get the Google Books link at
    >>all.
    >>When we add "google books" to the search expression, we do get a
    >>Google
    >>Books link, but when we go there, she doesn't get that ad.
    >>
    >>When I try this from home, I don't get that ad, either. I've got two
    >>things from textbooks.com instead.
    >>
    >>Does _anyone_ have _any_ idea how the hell things like this happen?
    >>Could it have something to do with, e.g., a previous user of the
    >>computer in the classroom? I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble
    >>but
    >>I sure as hell am curious as to what the connection between the book I
    >>was looking at and black, gay thugs is. I ask about a previous user
    >>only because I know we all use the same userid on this computer.

    > Cookies, and how the ads are cycled, did they pay to be seen only so
    > many times, was it time for another ad, your location...
    >
    > I've seen many misplaced ads, Story about a rape and an ad next to it
    > about meeting girls in your area.
    >
    > Look in to a HOSTS file and you won't have this problem again.

    It the college's computer and we have very limited rights on it - I
    doubt it'll let me change the hosts file.

    I can (in response to you and the others as wel) see if it'll let me
    delete temporary files, cookies, etc.

    Thanks to all who replied.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 11, 2008
  6. Steve Freides

    G. Morgan Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:

    >So I point the web browser, IE 6, to www.google.com, then I type in "the
    >waning of the middle ages" and, first in the list of hits, is the whole
    >book in Google Books. "Great," I think. I was hoping to maybe find it
    >on amazon.com or otherwise find perhaps a choice quotation or two from
    >it, but this is even better.
    >
    >When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads at
    >the bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of those ads is
    >for "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black Thugs in Your Area"
    >to the right of it. I am, needless to say, a little put off by this.

    HA!!

    Same thing happened on my end. I can guarantee there are no cookies about
    gays or thugs in my browser's cache. I also use AdBlock in FireFox, and a
    HOSTS file from the MVPS site.

    What the hell is that book about!?!

    Here be da screenshot!
    http://i37.tinypic.com/29kv1py.png

    --
    It takes a big man to cry,
    but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. -Jack Handey

    Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

    G. Morgan, Sep 12, 2008
  7. Steve Freides

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:59:58 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan <> wrote:

    >Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >>So I point the web browser, IE 6, to www.google.com, then I type in "the
    >>waning of the middle ages" and, first in the list of hits, is the whole
    >>book in Google Books. "Great," I think. I was hoping to maybe find it
    >>on amazon.com or otherwise find perhaps a choice quotation or two from
    >>it, but this is even better.
    >>
    >>When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads at
    >>the bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of those ads is
    >>for "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black Thugs in Your Area"
    >>to the right of it. I am, needless to say, a little put off by this.

    >HA!!
    >
    >Same thing happened on my end. I can guarantee there are no cookies about
    >gays or thugs in my browser's cache. I also use AdBlock in FireFox, and a
    >HOSTS file from the MVPS site.
    >
    >What the hell is that book about!?!
    >
    >Here be da screenshot!
    >http://i37.tinypic.com/29kv1py.png

    Interesting. I got this:

    [google links removed]

    "Download Google Chrome Searching is fast and easy with Google's web browser.
    21 Employees Needed... Start Earning $7500+Every Month. 100% Free Information.
    Start Now!"

    Using FF with AdBlock (not AdBlock Plus) and no hosts file.

    --
    The sysadmin has graciously deigned not to cast you headlong into a
    pit of rabid wombats. Please bear this in mind when composing your

    Mara, Sep 12, 2008
  8. Steve Freides

    Tony Guest

    Beware of this Steve aka Steve Y aka Steve O etc character - he
    questions every post he doesn't understand and if you get irritated at
    him, he will follow you through usenet trolling your posts. Plonk
    (killfile) him and *never* answer any of his posts.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 12, 2008
  9. Steve Freides wrote:
    <snip>

    > When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads at
    > the bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of those ads
    > is for "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black Thugs in Your
    > Area" to the right of it. I am, needless to say, a little put off by
    > this.

    <snip>

    I got:

    21 Employees Needed... Start Earning $7500+Every Month. 100% Free
    Information. Start Now! <link removed>

    Try Google Chrome A browser where you can type less & surf the
    web faster - Download now. <link removed>

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    "You know you can indict a ham sandwich if you want to."
    William J. Martini, Judge, United States District Court

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Sep 12, 2008
  10. "Lurker" <> wrote in

    http://sock-or-not.notlong.com/

    > [...]
    >
    > Hi neat trim slim and petite Rhonda, hows married life...

    Married? The sheep would say "wrongfully imprisoned"...
    alas, if they could but speak and not merely bleet.

    --

    I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and *I* approved this message!

    http://bucky-breeders-foreplay.notlong.com

    Bucky Breeder, Sep 12, 2008
  11. Steve Freides

    ian field Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <.007> wrote in
    message news:Xns9B177C43129F2ParticleCollider@216.151.153.34...

    http://www.flurl.com/video/5453197_comments.htm

    ian field, Sep 12, 2008
  12. "ian field" <> wrote in

    > "Bucky Breeder" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Lurker" <> wrote in

    >> http://sock-or-not.notlong.com/
    >>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Hi neat trim slim and petite Rhonda, hows married life...

    >> Married? The sheep would say "wrongfully imprisoned"...
    >> alas, if they could but speak and not merely bleet.

    > http://www.flurl.com/video/5453197_comments.htm

    Ewwwieeeeee... LOL! That's not CGI either.

    OK then - I stand corrected. Maybe they are a happy couple.
    Now, I've got to go wipe that file off my hard drive just in
    case the Motherland Security is watching my every move.

    Bucky Breeder, Sep 12, 2008
  13. ian field wrote:
    > "Bucky Breeder" <.007> wrote in
    > message news:Xns9B177C43129F2ParticleCollider@216.151.153.34...
    >> "Lurker" <> wrote in

    >> http://sock-or-not.notlong.com/
    >>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Hi neat trim slim and petite Rhonda, hows married life...

    >> Married? The sheep would say "wrongfully imprisoned"...
    >> alas, if they could but speak and not merely bleet.

    > http://www.flurl.com/video/5453197_comments.htm

    I could've lived my entire life without seeing that.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Sep 12, 2008
  14. Lurker wrote:
    > "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries" <> wrote in message
    >> Steve Freides wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> When I click on the link to Google Books, I get two "targeted" ads
    >>> at the bottom of the main, left portion of the screen. One of
    >>> those ads is for "Black Gay Thugs" with the words "Meet Gay Black
    >>> Thugs in Your Area" to the right of it. I am, needless to say, a
    >>> little put off by this.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> I got:
    >>
    >> 21 Employees Needed... Start Earning $7500+Every Month. 100%
    >> Free Information. Start Now! <link removed>
    >>
    >> Try Google Chrome A browser where you can type less & surf the
    >> web faster - Download now. <link removed>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries
    >>

    > You didn't really try did you. It's easily found if you really make
    > the effort to look.

    Well, I wasn't looking for "Black Gay Thugs," no. But I did find the
    book, and those were the links that came with it.

    > Hi neat trim slim and petite Rhonda, hows married life...

    5'7" is not petite, and as soon as I can find a working scale (the one I
    bought last week had a 20-25 pound deviation in both directions--right
    out of the box), I'll let you know about the trim factor.

    As for married life, it's grand, but that's only because I have the
    world's best husband.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Sep 12, 2008
  15. Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:
    > Lurker wrote:
    >> "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries" <> wrote in message
    >>> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>> <snip>

    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> I got:
    >>>
    >>> 21 Employees Needed... Start Earning $7500+Every Month. 100%
    >>> Free Information. Start Now! <link removed>
    >>>
    >>> Try Google Chrome A browser where you can type less & surf the
    >>> web faster - Download now. <link removed>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries
    >>>

    >> You didn't really try did you. It's easily found if you really make
    >> the effort to look.

    > Well, I wasn't looking for "Black Gay Thugs," no. But I did find the
    > book, and those were the links that came with it.
    >
    >> Hi neat trim slim and petite Rhonda, hows married life...

    > 5'7" is not petite, and as soon as I can find a working scale (the
    > one I bought last week had a 20-25 pound deviation in both
    > directions--right out of the box), I'll let you know about the trim
    > factor.
    > As for married life, it's grand, but that's only because I have the
    > world's best husband.

    I forgot to ask: how are you doing?

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Sep 12, 2008
  16. Steve Freides

    ian field Guest

    > ian field wrote:
    >> "Bucky Breeder" <.007> wrote in
    >> message news:Xns9B177C43129F2ParticleCollider@216.151.153.34...
    >>> "Lurker" <> wrote in

    >>> http://sock-or-not.notlong.com/

    >>> Married? The sheep would say "wrongfully imprisoned"...
    >>> alas, if they could but speak and not merely bleet.

    >> http://www.flurl.com/video/5453197_comments.htm

    > I could've lived my entire life without seeing that.
    >
    > --
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    That link has been active a lo-o-o-ng time, its inevitable you'd have
    stumbled on it eventually.

    ian field, Sep 12, 2008
  17. "ian field" <> wrote in
    > "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries" <> wrote in message
    >> ian field wrote:
    >>> "Bucky Breeder" <.007> wrote in
    >>> message news:Xns9B177C43129F2ParticleCollider@216.151.153.34...

    >>> http://www.flurl.com/video/5453197_comments.htm

    >> I could've lived my entire life without seeing that.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    > That link has been active a lo-o-o-ng time, its inevitable
    > you'd have stumbled on it eventually.

    It could be argued that a life lived without seeing that
    would not be an entire life at all.

    That is most-definately a must-see and likely a boon to
    clinical therapists who specialize in recovering abused
    sheep all over the world.

    Bucky Breeder, Sep 12, 2008
  18. Steve Freides

    ian field Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <.007> wrote in
    message news:Xns9B17B603BC098ParticleCollider@216.151.153.45...
    > "ian field" <> wrote in
    >> "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries" <> wrote in message

    >>> I could've lived my entire life without seeing that.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    >> That link has been active a lo-o-o-ng time, its inevitable
    >> you'd have stumbled on it eventually.

    > It could be argued that a life lived without seeing that
    > would not be an entire life at all.
    >
    > That is most-definately a must-see and likely a boon to
    > clinical therapists who specialize in recovering abused
    > sheep all over the world.

    That one's got Stockholm syndrome.

    ian field, Sep 13, 2008