The Meaningless Phrase "Remastered for DVD"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by CAndersen (Kimba), Sep 29, 2003.

  1. While we're all out here going bonkers re-buying our favorite videos on
    DVD, the DVD makers are repeatedly slapping us in the face.

    I'm not talking about crap houses like Madacy, which teaches everyone
    "with a name like Madacy, it has to be bad". I'm talking about the 'name'
    companies.

    Like the FHE Laurel and Hardy disc. We all know there are real remastered
    L&Hs out there, and they give us syndication prints.

    Like the Rhino Kimba the White Lion discs. You'd have to be deaf to accept
    the sound they gave us for the theme song, but they go and even apply a
    special sound logo to it! And no video work was done at all to their
    syndication prints.

    Now Warner Vision (Australian sub of AOL Time Warner) has released a
    different set of Kimba discs--fair enough, there is a different version
    going around worldwide TV syndication, but the video on these DVDs was
    lifted directly from some _VCD_ release! AU$20 for DVDs from the biggest
    corporation in the world and you get disguised VCDs! And the "bonus
    features": some do not apply at all to the version of the show on the disc,
    others were lifted directly from fan web sites without credit, including
    pieces of an article written by Fred Patten and Robin Leyden.

    On the other hand, there _are_ some good jobs done--like the R2 release of
    "The Goodies". (I assume the R4 release is identical.) The restoration work
    done on these shows is simply amazing. There's a short featurette on one
    disc, showing the extent of the restoration work that was done, that should
    be required viewing for anyone the least bit interested in the potential
    for DVD releases.

    I don't know if the company that produced the Goodies discs (Network) is
    considered a big name or not--they certainly had the resources to do a
    wonderful job. But will the (other) big names in the industry turn
    "remastered for DVD" into as meaningless a phrase as "collectors' item"?

    --
    Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

    CAndersen (Kimba), Sep 29, 2003

  2. CAndersen (Kimba)

    anthony Guest

    good point.... can't agree more.
    Every single release on DVD is of material 'remastered for DVD' --
    it's the most useless set of words ever released onto an unsuspecting
    market.
    The Goodies is a superb release, worth the long wait. And though I
    haven't seen our Australian Region 4 release -- I imported the UK
    version -- I believe it's identical.
    But I'd exempt from your overall criticism the recent Region One
    efforts by Warners. Their 'remasterings' really are fantastic. The
    Special Editions of 'Singin' in the Rain' and 'Casablanca' and even of
    the over-rated 'Citizen Kane' were fantastic jobs, and Amazon is
    sending me right now the special edition of Errol Flynn's 'The
    Adventures of Robin Hood', which is again meant to be a very special
    remastering job.
    So we get these great efforts -- and then we wait forever for
    something like Paramount's 'To Catch a Thief', and get something
    inferior to the old video-tape!

    anthony, Sep 30, 2003

  3. CAndersen (Kimba)

    Wade365 Guest

    The Goodies!

    No one in America knows what I'm talking about when I say that... I remember
    watching it as a kid on public television here in Chicago.

    I assume Amazon UK has it?

    Wade365, Oct 1, 2003

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008MJ0W

    --
    Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

    CAndersen (Kimba), Oct 1, 2003
  5. CAndersen (Kimba)

    Justin Guest

    Wade365 wrote on [01 Oct 2003 15:00:44 GMT]:
    > The Goodies!

    Goodie Goodie Yum Yum

    > I assume Amazon UK has it?

    try ezydvd

    Justin, Oct 1, 2003
  6. CAndersen (Kimba)

    Wade365 Guest

    << Goodie Goodie Yum Yum >>

    .... as the white cat rides the tower down... YES!

    Wade365, Oct 2, 2003
  7. CAndersen (Kimba)

    Robby Guest

    "CAndersen (Kimba)" <KimbaWLion_aol.com@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Wade365) wrote:
    >
    > >The Goodies!
    > >
    > >No one in America knows what I'm talking about when I say that... I remember
    > >watching it as a kid on public television here in Chicago.
    > >
    > >I assume Amazon UK has it?

    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008MJ0W

    so where's the R1 version? I need to put it next to my Monty
    Python/Fawlty Towers/Black Adder/Young Ones/Neverwhere/Singing
    Detective/Avengers/Prisoner/Captain Scarlet box sets

    Robby, Oct 2, 2003
  8. CAndersen (Kimba)

    Wade365 Guest

    << so where's the R1 version? I need to put it next to my Monty
    Python/Fawlty Towers/Black Adder/Young Ones/Neverwhere/Singing
    Detective/Avengers/Prisoner/Captain Scarlet box sets >>

    The Singing Detective is really good too... had it on VHS taped off public TV
    for years and no one knew what I was talking about... but the Goodies would
    really be nice to see again. I used to watch it along with Dr. Who when they
    were running them one 30 min. ep at a time... gawd I feel old.

    Wade365, Oct 3, 2003
  9. (Robby) wrote:

    >so where's the R1 version?

    Good luck.

    The way I see it, your choice is to shell out $40 for an all-region player
    on ebay, or wait the rest of your life for an R1 version.

    --
    Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

    CAndersen (Kimba), Oct 3, 2003
  10. CAndersen (Kimba)

    anthony Guest

    You can get The Goodies at Region 2 at amazon.co.uk or blackstar.
    But if you can handle Region 2, your player would certainly handle
    Region 4, where the identical release is a whole lot cheaper.
    Checkout Atlanticdvd.com.au, or ezydvd.com.au (one is sometimes
    offering a better deal than the other, but they're both very reputable
    traders).

    anthony, Oct 3, 2003
  11. CAndersen (Kimba)

    Wade365 Guest

    I don't think that it's completely out of the question that the series (The
    Goodies) get a R1 release... I've certainly seen more weird and (I thought)
    sort of 'lost' stuff from my childhood turning up on video... if it's been
    released in every market BUT R1 then it may cross over... I watched it in
    Chicago growing up and it turns out my roommate saw it growing up in Charleston
    SC so you never know, it might have an audience in R1, they're all just
    sleeping at the moment.

    Wade365, Oct 3, 2003
  12. CAndersen (Kimba)

    Robby Guest

    (Wade365) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I don't think that it's completely out of the question that the series (The
    > Goodies) get a R1 release... I've certainly seen more weird and (I thought)
    > sort of 'lost' stuff from my childhood turning up on video... if it's been
    > released in every market BUT R1 then it may cross over... I watched it in
    > Chicago growing up and it turns out my roommate saw it growing up in Charleston
    > SC so you never know, it might have an audience in R1, they're all just
    > sleeping at the moment.

    That's funny, I'm in Charleston, SC right now, and I used to watch it
    on PBS, many moons ago. I have high hopes that the Goodies will show
    up soon, considering all of the lesser shows that have come out.

    Robby, Oct 5, 2003
  13. I just picked up a couple of the VHS Goodies editions.

    I remember laughing my brains out watching it as a kid.

    --
    Dean

    AM
    Please remove both instances of SPAM when replying.

    Dean Churchill, Oct 26, 2003