"The Meaning of Life" Problems with the transfer?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The Magically Delicious Mr. H***, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Today, I picked up the new special edition 2 disc set of "Monty Python's
    The Meaning of Life" and I am not happy with the quality of the film,
    not at all.

    Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
    purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
    in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you
    folks on here use, but I'll say that the picture seems to come apart
    leaving a sort of residual effect of people and things that they were
    there a few micro-seconds before (breaking up into pixels but mostly in
    a horizontal fashion) and this happens whenever someone moves, there are
    lines, dirt, and scratches on the print too.
    Unacceptable.

    Now, to be sure there wasn't a problem with my DVD player, I inserted a
    few other discs (15000 Holey points if you can guess the film I tested)
    as well as the second "Meaning of Life" disc that features the
    documentaries and such, and encountered no such problems.

    Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?

    Mr. H***

    Mr. H***'s Golden Shower Site for the month of September:
    http://www.misterpoll.com/470303569.html
    (For when a Hallmark card and saying "I love you Mom" is never enough.)
    The Magically Delicious Mr. H***, Sep 5, 2003

  2. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Dunf Guest

    "The Magically Delicious Mr. H***" <> wrote in message
    > Today, I picked up the new special edition 2 disc set of "Monty Python's
    > The Meaning of Life" and I am not happy with the quality of the film,
    > not at all.
    >
    > Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
    > purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
    > in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you
    > folks on here use, but I'll say that the picture seems to come apart
    > leaving a sort of residual effect of people and things that they were
    > there a few micro-seconds before (breaking up into pixels but mostly in
    > a horizontal fashion) and this happens whenever someone moves, there are
    > lines, dirt, and scratches on the print too.
    > Unacceptable.
    >
    > Now, to be sure there wasn't a problem with my DVD player, I inserted a
    > few other discs (15000 Holey points if you can guess the film I tested)
    > as well as the second "Meaning of Life" disc that features the
    > documentaries and such, and encountered no such problems.
    >
    > Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?
    >

    > ..
    > Mr. H***
    >
    > Mr. H***'s Golden Shower Site for the month of September:
    > http://www.misterpoll.com/470303569.html
    > (For when a Hallmark card and saying "I love you Mom" is never enough.)

    ONce again the buyer gets UNIVERSALly fucked with this so called new
    transfer.
    Dunf, Sep 6, 2003

  3. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Ben Nunn Guest

    Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was The Magically Delicious Mr. H***
    (), in message
    who said:

    > Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?

    Yes.

    Very jittery picture - looks like the NTSC framerate isn't converting nicely
    at all.

    I own around 100 other Region 1/NTSC discs, and I've only encountered this
    problem once before.

    I'm finding it painful to watch - good to know that I'm not alone - and hope
    that they'll issue replacements, as this is unacceptable for a 'special
    edition'.

    Again, no probs with disc 2.

    BTN
    Ben Nunn, Sep 6, 2003
  4. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Greg King Guest

    The Digital Bits (www.thedigitalbit.com) mentioned problem reports.

    Greg

    Greg King, Sep 6, 2003
  5. On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:45:14 -0400 (EDT), (The
    Magically Delicious Mr. H***) wrote:

    >Today, I picked up the new special edition 2 disc set of "Monty Python's
    >The Meaning of Life" and I am not happy with the quality of the film,
    >not at all.
    >
    >Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
    >purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
    >in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you
    >folks on here use, but I'll say that the picture seems to come apart
    >leaving a sort of residual effect of people and things that they were
    >there a few micro-seconds before (breaking up into pixels but mostly in
    >a horizontal fashion) and this happens whenever someone moves, there are
    >lines, dirt, and scratches on the print too.
    >Unacceptable.
    >
    >Now, to be sure there wasn't a problem with my DVD player, I inserted a
    >few other discs (15000 Holey points if you can guess the film I tested)
    >as well as the second "Meaning of Life" disc that features the
    >documentaries and such, and encountered no such problems.
    >
    >Anyone else have similar problems with this disc?

    Bunch of people apparently have, judging from the replies.

    Thank you very much for letting us know, Mr. Hole. Be a while before
    I can afford many special edition DVDs, but now I'll be sure not to
    purchase that one at any event until they get their act together.

    Hmmm, I've never had a DVD taster working for me before, but now I
    find the idea highly appealing. Would you be my DVD taster, Mr. Hole,
    to ensure I don't get myself unduly poisoned by slightly untasteful
    special (or any, actually) editions?

    On another note, knowing what a big movie buff you are, I've been
    craving to hear your opinion about _The Thirteenth Warrior_ as a
    movie. Would you kindly tell me?

    Cheers,

    Jaime
    Jaime M. de Castellvi, Sep 6, 2003
  6. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Guest

    I tried to watch the first disc in the set last night on my Daewoo
    3000 bedroom DVD player and 19" monitor and saw the horizontal
    streeeking when there was on screen movement. I did notice that the
    commentary track wasn't subtitled. I've watched a few British Region
    2 DVDs lately and it's great when all the soundtracks are subtitled so
    as not to disturb sleeping babies and spouses.

    Back to Python. I endured 30 minutes of streaking and tried it in the
    living room Cyberhome CH-402 and 26" monitor and everything looked
    fine. I'll try it on my ancient first generation Pioneer DVD/LD
    combination player tonight and post tomorrow.

    Regards, Michael
    , Sep 8, 2003
  7. In article <>,
    () wrote:

    > I tried to watch the first disc in the set last night on my Daewoo
    > 3000 bedroom DVD player and 19" monitor and saw the horizontal
    > streeeking when there was on screen movement. ...and tried it in the
    > living room Cyberhome CH-402 and 26" monitor and everything looked
    > fine.

    I have noticed it as well when I play it in my machine. I don't have
    another DVD player to try it in. I have read a few more accounts of
    this probem and suppose a recall will be announced eventually. What
    with problems with "Back to the Future" DVDs, recalled "Duel" DVDs and
    now this it would it would seem that Universal is having a bad year. :>

    Darren DeWolfe, Sep 8, 2003
  8. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Erik Harris Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:45:14 -0400 (EDT), (The Magically
    Delicious Mr. H***) wrote:

    >Is there any talk on problems with disc one? Because on the one I
    >purchased I'm having a lot of trouble believing they released this set
    >in this condition. I'm not up on all the technical terms some of you

    Is this through the whole movie? I tried watching it a few days ago, and got
    through the Crimson Whatever bit, and was just starting to get into the rest
    of the movie when we were interrupted by three phone calls in a row. By the
    time they were done, we didn't have time to watch the movie and get a decent
    amount of sleep for work Monday, so we decided to put it off awhile. In the
    portion that I watched (on my Sharp 36" NTSC TV with V-compression and crappy
    Samsung P-421 DVD player), I didn't notice the problems that you and other
    people here have mentioned. When I get a chance, I'll try it in my computer
    and see what it looks like.

    --
    Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
    AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

    The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
    Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.
    Erik Harris, Sep 10, 2003
  9. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Erik Harris
    <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:

    > Is this through the whole movie? I tried watching it a few days ago, and got
    > through the Crimson Whatever bit, and was just starting to get into the rest
    > of the movie when we were interrupted by three phone calls in a row. By the
    > time they were done, we didn't have time to watch the movie and get a decent
    > amount of sleep for work Monday, so we decided to put it off awhile. In the
    > portion that I watched (on my Sharp 36" NTSC TV with V-compression and crappy
    > Samsung P-421 DVD player), I didn't notice the problems that you and other
    > people here have mentioned. When I get a chance, I'll try it in my computer
    > and see what it looks like.

    Some have said they don't experience a problem, although they may just
    not notice it. I tried the disc on my iMac as well as my cheap APEX
    player and analog 27" TV, and the effect was actually WORSE on the
    iMac.
    Max Volume, Sep 10, 2003
  10. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Blarg Guest

    Max Volume wrote:

    > In article <>, Erik Harris
    > <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Is this through the whole movie? I tried watching it a few days ago, and got
    >>through the Crimson Whatever bit, and was just starting to get into the rest
    >>of the movie when we were interrupted by three phone calls in a row. By the
    >>time they were done, we didn't have time to watch the movie and get a decent
    >>amount of sleep for work Monday, so we decided to put it off awhile. In the
    >>portion that I watched (on my Sharp 36" NTSC TV with V-compression and crappy
    >>Samsung P-421 DVD player), I didn't notice the problems that you and other
    >>people here have mentioned. When I get a chance, I'll try it in my computer
    >>and see what it looks like.

    > Some have said they don't experience a problem, although they may just
    > not notice it.

    I beginning to think most people are just frikkin blind or retarded! How
    this basic field sequencing error ever made it past the so called
    "professional compressionists" working at Universal is unbelievable!!
    This is a real error on the disk itself and should definitely be obvious
    to anyone who understands video. If you don't see this problem on your
    player then a) your player sucks, b) your blind or c) you have
    Attention Deficit Disorder.

    In any case, Universal, you suck! Next time could you please select the
    "lower field first" option before you send out the RECALL disks...
    (bloody f-ing morons)....
    Blarg, Sep 10, 2003
  11. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Tim Weaver Guest

    Blarg wrote:

    > Max Volume wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Erik Harris
    >> <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is this through the whole movie? I tried watching it a few days ago,
    >>>and got through the Crimson Whatever bit, and was just starting to
    >>>get into the rest of the movie when we were interrupted by three
    >>>phone calls in a row. By the time they were done, we didn't have
    >>>time to watch the movie and get a decent amount of sleep for work
    >>>Monday, so we decided to put it off awhile. In the portion that I
    >>>watched (on my Sharp 36" NTSC TV with V-compression and crappy
    >>>Samsung P-421 DVD player), I didn't notice the problems that you and
    >>>other people here have mentioned. When I get a chance, I'll try it
    >>>in my computer and see what it looks like.

    >> Some have said they don't experience a problem, although they may
    >> just not notice it.

    > I beginning to think most people are just frikkin blind or retarded!
    > How this basic field sequencing error ever made it past the so called
    > "professional compressionists" working at Universal is unbelievable!!
    > This is a real error on the disk itself and should definitely be
    > obvious to anyone who understands video. If you don't see this
    > problem on your player then a) your player sucks, b) your blind or
    > c) you have Attention Deficit Disorder.
    >
    > In any case, Universal, you suck! Next time could you please select
    > the "lower field first" option before you send out the RECALL disks...
    > (bloody f-ing morons)....

    Oh, come on Blarg...speak your mind.

    --
    Tim Weaver

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
    But I am not sure that what you heard is not what I meant."

    http://timweaver.webhop.org/
    Xnews/06.02.16 XP Icon Patch
    Tim Weaver, Sep 10, 2003
  12. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Ben Nunn Guest

    Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Blarg (), in
    message I%z7b.101950$kW.47920@edtnps84 who said:

    > I beginning to think most people are just frikkin blind or retarded!
    > How
    > this basic field sequencing error ever made it past the so called
    > "professional compressionists" working at Universal is unbelievable!!
    > This is a real error on the disk itself and should definitely be
    > obvious
    > to anyone who understands video. If you don't see this problem on
    > your
    > player then a) your player sucks, b) your blind or c) you have
    > Attention Deficit Disorder.
    >
    > In any case, Universal, you suck! Next time could you please select
    > the "lower field first" option before you send out the RECALL disks...
    > (bloody f-ing morons)....

    Hmm... maybe the fault only affected one particular batch/pressing.

    It would explain why some people are reporting no problems at all if it's
    only some copies that are faulty.

    BTN
    Ben Nunn, Sep 10, 2003
  13. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Paul Guest

    > In any case, Universal, you suck! Next time could you please select the
    > "lower field first" option before you send out the RECALL disks...
    > (bloody f-ing morons)....

    Has there been any rumblings about an actual recall for this release?

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 11, 2003
  14. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <bjn9e7$ku2lt$-berlin.de>, Ben Nunn
    <> wrote:

    > Hmm... maybe the fault only affected one particular batch/pressing.

    And how exactly is that possible? Do you know ANYTHING about digital
    media?
    Max Volume, Sep 11, 2003
  15. In article <100920031929334969%>, Max Volume
    <> wrote:

    > > Hmm... maybe the fault only affected one particular batch/pressing.

    > And how exactly is that possible? Do you know ANYTHING about digital
    > media?

    I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my MOL discs, I know that
    much.

    At any rate, I doubt that every one of them that's out there were
    pressed at the same time, and/or with exactly the same equipment. It's
    entirely possible that one batch got screwed up and the others didn't.

    --
    ³There are no mistakes in love.²
    - Patty Smyth
    Keeper of the Purple Twilight, Sep 11, 2003
  16. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Ben Nunn Guest

    Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Max Volume
    (), in message
    100920031929334969% who said:
    > In article <bjn9e7$ku2lt$-berlin.de>, Ben Nunn
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm... maybe the fault only affected one particular batch/pressing.

    > And how exactly is that possible? Do you know ANYTHING about digital
    > media?

    It's entirely possible that one or more low-volume test runs were burned
    before the 'fault' was noticed.

    But after this was corrected, the bad copies ended up in the distribution
    pile anyway owing to an administrative error.

    BTN
    Ben Nunn, Sep 11, 2003
  17. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Erik Harris Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:37:10 +0100, "Ben Nunn" <> wrote:

    >Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Blarg (), in
    >message I%z7b.101950$kW.47920@edtnps84 who said:
    >>
    >> I beginning to think most people are just frikkin blind or retarded!
    >> How
    >> this basic field sequencing error ever made it past the so called
    >> "professional compressionists" working at Universal is unbelievable!!
    >> This is a real error on the disk itself and should definitely be
    >> obvious
    >> to anyone who understands video. If you don't see this problem on
    >> your
    >> player then a) your player sucks, b) your blind or c) you have
    >> Attention Deficit Disorder.
    >>
    >> In any case, Universal, you suck! Next time could you please select
    >> the "lower field first" option before you send out the RECALL disks...
    >> (bloody f-ing morons)....

    >Hmm... maybe the fault only affected one particular batch/pressing.
    >
    >It would explain why some people are reporting no problems at all if it's
    >only some copies that are faulty.

    It (and "Blarg's" explanation) wouldn't explain the reports of people trying
    the disc in multiple players and getting different results, though. I
    remember seeing a post from a guy who tried three different set-top DVD
    players, and got three different results, including one player where the
    problem wasn't noticeable.

    Erik Harris, Sep 12, 2003
  18. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <100920032012555561%>, Keeper of the Purple
    Twilight <> wrote:

    > At any rate, I doubt that every one of them that's out there were
    > pressed at the same time, and/or with exactly the same equipment. It's
    > entirely possible that one batch got screwed up and the others didn't.

    Again, you obviously don't know shit about digital media.
    Max Volume, Sep 12, 2003
  19. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Blarg Guest

    Erik Harris wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:37:10 +0100, "Ben Nunn" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Blarg (), in
    >>message I%z7b.101950$kW.47920@edtnps84 who said:
    >>
    >>>I beginning to think most people are just frikkin blind or retarded!
    >>>How
    >>>this basic field sequencing error ever made it past the so called
    >>>"professional compressionists" working at Universal is unbelievable!!
    >>>This is a real error on the disk itself and should definitely be
    >>>obvious
    >>>to anyone who understands video. If you don't see this problem on
    >>>your
    >>>player then a) your player sucks, b) your blind or c) you have
    >>>Attention Deficit Disorder.
    >>>
    >>>In any case, Universal, you suck! Next time could you please select
    >>>the "lower field first" option before you send out the RECALL disks...
    >>>(bloody f-ing morons)....

    >>Hmm... maybe the fault only affected one particular batch/pressing.
    >>
    >>It would explain why some people are reporting no problems at all if it's
    >>only some copies that are faulty.

    > It (and "Blarg's" explanation) wouldn't explain the reports of people trying
    > the disc in multiple players and getting different results, though. I
    > remember seeing a post from a guy who tried three different set-top DVD
    > players, and got three different results, including one player where the
    > problem wasn't noticeable.

    I believe the difference is in comb filtering, or a different treatment
    in how the field sequencing (interpolation) is handled. Lower end models
    such as my Apex do almost nothing to alter field sequencing. The
    "Meaning Of Life" error is extremely visible on this unit. On my higher
    end Panasonic, the error in very hard to see in real time. But even on
    this model, if you view the movie in slow motion the field reversal is
    very noticeable.

    I inspected the framing and I see nothing wrong with the actual position
    of the fields, therefore it's highly likely that it is a flagging error
    that has players switching fields.

    I was happy with how Universal dealt with BTTF. And that was only a
    minor error in the cropping of just a few seconds of those films. But
    this is an annoying error that propagates throughout the entire movie.
    (one of my all-time fav films to boot!!)

    C'mon Universal, do the right thing...
    Blarg, Sep 12, 2003
  20. The Magically Delicious Mr. H***

    Erik Harris Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 04:00:26 GMT, Blarg <> wrote:
    >I was happy with how Universal dealt with BTTF. And that was only a
    >minor error in the cropping of just a few seconds of those films. But
    >this is an annoying error that propagates throughout the entire movie.
    >(one of my all-time fav films to boot!!)

    Didn't it also take Universal a few months to officially acknowledge the
    problem and say they'd fix it? And then a few more months to actually do it?

    >C'mon Universal, do the right thing...

    And hopefully a bit more promptly this time. If the problem is as simple as
    you say, it shouldn't require any significant work on their part, and should
    be an easier fix than BTTF was.

    Erik Harris, Sep 12, 2003