The machine died and came back

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Duane Arnold, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I was in the middle of some program development work in the .Net IDE. I
    wanted to go to Explorer off the Start Button and the new company Dell
    Latitude D600 laptrop running Win 2K locked up.

    So, I power down the laptop and power it back on and it goes through the
    BIOS thing and just sits and comes back with a message indicating *Hard
    disk read error Press F1 to try reboot or F2 to go into setup. I did the
    retry a couple of times and powering up and down with no success in booting
    to Win 2k. Finally, I went into the BIOS set-up to change the boot sequence
    and try to boot from the Ultimate Boot CD.

    For some reason I don't know why, it was able to boot from the HDD and to
    Win 2K and I never switched the boot sequence after I came out of the BIOS
    setup.

    It made no sense as to how the machine started doing what it did and how it
    was able to recover itself.

    Has anyone seen this kind of thing?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Duane Arnold

    Thagor Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote in

    > I was in the middle of some program development work in the .Net IDE.
    > I wanted to go to Explorer off the Start Button and the new company
    > Dell Latitude D600 laptrop running Win 2K locked up.
    >
    > So, I power down the laptop and power it back on and it goes through
    > the BIOS thing and just sits and comes back with a message indicating
    > *Hard disk read error Press F1 to try reboot or F2 to go into setup. I
    > did the retry a couple of times and powering up and down with no
    > success in booting to Win 2k. Finally, I went into the BIOS set-up to
    > change the boot sequence and try to boot from the Ultimate Boot CD.
    >
    > For some reason I don't know why, it was able to boot from the HDD and
    > to Win 2K and I never switched the boot sequence after I came out of
    > the BIOS setup.
    >
    > It made no sense as to how the machine started doing what it did and
    > how it was able to recover itself.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this kind of thing?
    >
    > Duane :)

    I've replaced a ton of hard drives from Del systems. Sounds to me like
    the HD translation glitched in the BIOS and needed a good reset to clear
    the bug. Don't worry though, it will be back soon.

    Thagor, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Thagor <> wrote in news:Xns95A0E6A8C73F9thagmailcoma@
    207.115.63.158:

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote in
    >
    >> I was in the middle of some program development work in the .Net IDE.
    >> I wanted to go to Explorer off the Start Button and the new company
    >> Dell Latitude D600 laptrop running Win 2K locked up.
    >>
    >> So, I power down the laptop and power it back on and it goes through
    >> the BIOS thing and just sits and comes back with a message indicating
    >> *Hard disk read error Press F1 to try reboot or F2 to go into setup. I
    >> did the retry a couple of times and powering up and down with no
    >> success in booting to Win 2k. Finally, I went into the BIOS set-up to
    >> change the boot sequence and try to boot from the Ultimate Boot CD.
    >>
    >> For some reason I don't know why, it was able to boot from the HDD and
    >> to Win 2K and I never switched the boot sequence after I came out of
    >> the BIOS setup.
    >>
    >> It made no sense as to how the machine started doing what it did and
    >> how it was able to recover itself.
    >>
    >> Has anyone seen this kind of thing?
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > I've replaced a ton of hard drives from Del systems. Sounds to me like
    > the HD translation glitched in the BIOS and needed a good reset to clear
    > the bug. Don't worry though, it will be back soon.

    I don't doubt it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 14, 2004