the lucky Frogs have got fast broadband ....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6936325.stm

    One could go green with envy. 100Mb/s broadband bundled with 51 digital tv
    channels and unlimited phone calls, all for 45Euro which is approx $90 per
    month.

    I am currently paying $55 for my 1Mbit connection plus $50-$52 for my landline.

    <big sigh>

    No, I don't think we're getting 3rd world broadband here, unlike some people
    like to hypberbole. I got a 420MB download at a respectable 180kB/sec
    yesterday, and that's with my line waterlogged, 6km+ to the exchange... but if
    I see what is possible, and at what price, and what I am paying in comparison,
    then I can only come to the conclusion that we are getting royally screwed out
    of our dollars in this country. F.w.i.w.
    I have the fibre optic cable going past my door. But telecom won't hook us up,
    will they .... rather, they run a copper cable back down the valley from the
    wee exchange.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Peter Huebner

    thingy Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > One could go green with envy. 100Mb/s broadband bundled with 51 digital tv
    > channels and unlimited phone calls, all for 45Euro which is approx $90 per
    > month.

    2 x 1?

    $45 x 2.6 =

    Speed, well some might get that, I bet most of France is little better
    than NZ, Paris...well.....

    > I am currently paying $55 for my 1Mbit connection plus $50-$52 for my landline.

    While most of French data traffic probably stays in french speaking land
    ie Europe....NZ's traffic is far more international and it costs us
    more...they also have the population densities we thankfully do not
    enjoy....

    > <big sigh>
    >
    > No, I don't think we're getting 3rd world broadband here, unlike some people
    > like to hypberbole. I got a 420MB download at a respectable 180kB/sec
    > yesterday, and that's with my line waterlogged, 6km+ to the exchange... but if
    > I see what is possible, and at what price, and what I am paying in comparison,
    > then I can only come to the conclusion that we are getting royally screwed out
    > of our dollars in this country. F.w.i.w.
    > I have the fibre optic cable going past my door. But telecom won't hook us up,
    > will they ....

    it does not work like that. You dont get individual ramps off the
    motorway to each house now do you.

    rather, they run a copper cable back down the valley from the
    > wee exchange.
    >
    > -Peter

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 9, 2007

  3. In article <>, y says...

    > 2 x 1?
    >
    > $45 x 2.6 =
    >
    > Speed, well some might get that, I bet most of France is little better
    > than NZ, Paris...well.....

    1 Euro is 1.8 NZ$ actually, I just checked. I knew that more or less be cause
    my wife got less than 2 bucks per Euro last time her mom sent her a prezzie.

    so 45 x 1.8 actually ...

    Like I said, I am not too worried about the speed, I am pretty happy with what
    I got.
    But I'd like the deal of having fibreoptic internet plus free phone calls at
    that price, never mind the digital tv, thank you very much. All that trouble we
    get with copper like induced line noise (out here it's fence units), dampening
    of signal when water/condensation gets into the pillars ... be nice to kiss
    that goodbye.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 9, 2007
  4. Peter Huebner

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <>, y says...
    > >
    > > 2 x 1?
    > >
    > > $45 x 2.6 =
    > >
    > > Speed, well some might get that, I bet most of France is little better
    > > than NZ, Paris...well.....
    > >

    > 1 Euro is 1.8 NZ$ actually, I just checked. I knew that more or less be cause
    > my wife got less than 2 bucks per Euro last time her mom sent her a prezzie.
    >
    > so 45 x 1.8 actually ...
    >
    > Like I said, I am not too worried about the speed, I am pretty happy with
    > what
    > I got.
    > But I'd like the deal of having fibreoptic internet plus free phone calls at
    > that price, never mind the digital tv, thank you very much. All that trouble
    > we
    > get with copper like induced line noise (out here it's fence units),
    > dampening
    > of signal when water/condensation gets into the pillars ... be nice to kiss
    > that goodbye.
    >
    > -P.

    well you can offer to pay for the cost of having it put in.

    whoisthis, Aug 9, 2007