The luckiest soldier in the British Army

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Apr 20, 2009.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    And he carries on in a quiet and businesslike way, typical of the Brit
    squaddie.

    <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8007565.stm>

    Another soldier from the Royal Irish Regiment of the British Army. Just
    as lucky and just as businesslike. No unnecessary gung-ho behaviour.

    <http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7629000/7629188.stm>

    Aardvark, Apr 20, 2009

  2. Aardvark

    philo Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > And he carries on in a quiet and businesslike way, typical of the Brit
    > squaddie.
    >
    > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8007565.stm>
    >
    > Another soldier from the Royal Irish Regiment of the British Army. Just
    > as lucky and just as businesslike. No unnecessary gung-ho behaviour.
    >
    > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7629000/7629188.stm>

    Indeed, he was very lucky

    A friend of mine was not quite so lucky many years ago in Viet Nam

    he was shot in the head. The bullet entered about 1 1/2 inches below
    his eye...and went out the back of his neck. Amazingly it did not hit
    anything vital...and he eventually recovered fairly well.

    He had a speech impediment for *many* years and his eyes did not quite
    line up...but he lived . The bullet at least missed his brain and spinal
    cord.

    The Army was not even going to discharge him...but his father contacted
    his Congressman.

    BTW: My friend is a Canadian citizen who got drafted by the US Army
    because he is a US resident. He could have simply gone home to Canada
    and not have been considered a draft dodger.

    philo, Apr 20, 2009