    -- jayembee

    Credit Where Credit Is Due Dept: I got the above link from
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/
    jayembee, Jul 12, 2003

  2. On 12 Jul 2003 06:05:20 -0700, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >Details on the contents of the 4-disc release streeting on
    >10/28 can be found at: http://www.cartoonresearch.com/news.html

    This is such inecredibly good news, particularly the "Uncut" part. and
    all the extras, that it almost sounds like a hoax.

    Thank You..

    .STeve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 12, 2003

  3. It doesn't quite list all the contents... we don't know all the
    cartoons included. Each supposedly contains 14 shorts:

    disc 1 (probably the same as the Bugs Bunny separate release):

    1. RABBIT SEASONING
    2. LONG HAIRED HARE
    3. HIGH DIVING HARE
    4. BULLY FOR BUGS
    5. WHAT'S UP DOC?
    6. RABBIT'S KIN
    7. BIG TOP BUNNY
    8. WABBIT TWOUBLE
    9. BASEBALL BUGS
    10-14????

    I hope for Rabbit of Seville, What's Opera, Doc?, Hare-Way To The
    Stars, The Hasty Hare, The Old Gray Hare, Tortoise Beats Hare, Falling
    Hare, Rabbit Hood... so many others.

    disc 2 (could be a future Porky/Daffy separate release?):

    1. DUCK AMUCK
    2. DRIP-ALONG DAFFY
    3. THE SCARLET PUMPERNICKLE
    4. WEARING OF THE GRIN
    5. DUCK DODGERS
    6. RABBIT FIRE
    7-14???

    Gotta have Porky In Wackyland... also would like You Oughta Be In
    Pictures, Great Piggy Bank Robbery, The Ducksters, Beanstalk Bunny, A
    Star Is Bored, Robin Hood Daffy!!, Abominable Snow Rabbit, Porky In
    Egypt, Scaredy Cat...

    Disc 3:

    1. FAST & FURRY-OUS
    2. HAIR RAISING HARE
    3. HAREDEVIL HARE
    4. FOR SCENT-I-MENTAL REASONS
    5. BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID
    6. FEED THE KITTY
    7. BUGS BUNNY AND THE THREE BEARS
    8. BATON BUNNY
    9. THE HYPO-CHRONDRI-CAT (? contains storyboards for it, and I'd hope
    it or Mouse Wreckers makes the cut...)
    10-14????

    I'd like: No Barking, Much Ado About Nutting, One Froggy Evening, From
    A To Zzzz, Operation: Rabbit (or Rabbit's Feat), couple more Road
    Runners, Frigid Hare/8 Ball Bunny......

    Disc 4:

    1. TWEETY'S S.O.S.
    2. THE FOGHORN LEGHORN
    3. CANARY ROW
    4. CANNED FEUD
    5. SPEEDY GONZALES
    6. PUTTY TAT TWOUBLE
    7. BROKEN LEGHORN
    8. DEVIL MAY HARE
    9-14???

    Yecch... my least favorite characters and directors. Hmm... maybe I do
    want them to release all 4 discs separately, so I can skip this one.
    Although we only know about half the shorts, and the extras could be
    good... and maybe at least Birds Anonymous or a Goofy Gophers short
    can be on there.

    Where the hell is anything on or by Tex Avery? And Wabbit Twouble is
    the oldest cartoon on here, right?

    ChessPieceFace, Jul 12, 2003
  4. jayembee

    TSKO Guest

    .........Life is good.....

    TSKO, Jul 12, 2003
  5. jayembee wrote:

    > Details on the contents of the 4-disc release streeting on
    > 10/28 can be found at: http://www.cartoonresearch.com/news.html
    >
    > It's looking like the 2-disc set, "Looney Tunes Premiere
    > Collection" is simply a lower priced alternate packaging
    > of the Golden Collection's Discs 3&4.

    Interesting--Looks like we're getting a mix of "new" Chuck-era ("Duck
    Amuck") and "old" afternoon toons ("Wabbit Twouble").

    Which should make it longer to wait for any particular "new" favorite to
    show up, but at least contributes to a more complete set.
    Besides, there's still the four or five on the three Warner classics
    (eg. "8 Ball Bunny" and "Hot Cross Bunny" on "Treasure of the Sierra
    Madre"), in case they don't show up here yet.

    > THE BUGS BUNNY SHOW bonus materials: Bridging sequences

    (Yeah, but "this week" was "next week" last week!)

    > Audio track commentaries on these cartoons:
    > HIGH DIVING HARE (Greg Ford)

    ....YAHOO!! Bring on Fearless Freep!

    Derek Janssen (I feel that summarizes my reaction best) :)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 12, 2003
  6. ChessPieceFace wrote:

    > It doesn't quite list all the contents... we don't know all the
    > cartoons included. Each supposedly contains 14 shorts:
    >
    > disc 1 (probably the same as the Bugs Bunny separate release):
    >
    > 1. RABBIT SEASONING
    > 2. LONG HAIRED HARE
    > 3. HIGH DIVING HARE
    > 4. BULLY FOR BUGS
    > 5. WHAT'S UP DOC?
    > 6. RABBIT'S KIN
    > 7. BIG TOP BUNNY
    > 8. WABBIT TWOUBLE
    > 9. BASEBALL BUGS
    > 10-14????

    Not that I mind, but where do you get "Baseball Bugs"?

    > I hope for Rabbit of Seville, What's Opera, Doc?, Hare-Way To The
    > Stars, The Hasty Hare, The Old Gray Hare, Tortoise Beats Hare, Falling
    > Hare, Rabbit Hood... so many others.

    ("Rabbit Hood"'s already on the Errol Flynn disk, in case of emergency.)

    > disc 2 (could be a future Porky/Daffy separate release?):
    >
    > 1. DUCK AMUCK
    > 2. DRIP-ALONG DAFFY
    > 3. THE SCARLET PUMPERNICKLE
    > 4. WEARING OF THE GRIN
    > 5. DUCK DODGERS
    > 6. RABBIT FIRE
    > 7-14???
    >
    > Gotta have Porky In Wackyland... also would like You Oughta Be In
    > Pictures, Great Piggy Bank Robbery, The Ducksters, Beanstalk Bunny, A
    > Star Is Bored, Robin Hood Daffy!!, Abominable Snow Rabbit, Porky In
    > Egypt, Scaredy Cat...

    I'd guess they're still cleaning out some that were already on the 24
    Carrot VHS collections for "new" cartoons, so "Boobs in the Woods",
    "Deduce, You Say?", or perhaps even "Rocket Squad" have a better chance
    of filling single vacancies first.

    (And no mention of the "afternoon"-delegate P or D's, so hold out hopes
    for Wackyland...)

    > Disc 3:
    >
    > 1. FAST & FURRY-OUS
    > 2. HAIR RAISING HARE
    > 3. HAREDEVIL HARE
    > 4. FOR SCENT-I-MENTAL REASONS
    > 5. BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID
    > 6. FEED THE KITTY
    > 7. BUGS BUNNY AND THE THREE BEARS
    > 8. BATON BUNNY
    > 9. THE HYPO-CHRONDRI-CAT (? contains storyboards for it, and I'd hope
    > it or Mouse Wreckers makes the cut...)
    > 10-14????
    >
    > I'd like: No Barking, Much Ado About Nutting, One Froggy Evening, From
    > A To Zzzz, Operation: Rabbit (or Rabbit's Feat), couple more Road
    > Runners, Frigid Hare/8 Ball Bunny

    ("Treasure of the Sierra Madre", see earlier--
    C'mon, you'd think they'd pass up the Bogart gag?)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 12, 2003
  7. On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:29:47 -0400, Derek Janssen <>
    wrote:

    >ChessPieceFace wrote:

    >> Gotta have Porky In Wackyland... also would like You Oughta Be In
    >> Pictures, Great Piggy Bank Robbery, The Ducksters, Beanstalk Bunny, A
    >> Star Is Bored, Robin Hood Daffy!!, Abominable Snow Rabbit, Porky In
    >> Egypt, Scaredy Cat...

    >I'd guess they're still cleaning out some that were already on the 24
    >Carrot VHS collections for "new" cartoons, so "Boobs in the Woods",
    >"Deduce, You Say?", or perhaps even "Rocket Squad" have a better chance
    >of filling single vacancies first.

    Ecch... I hope not.

    >(And no mention of the "afternoon"-delegate P or D's, so hold out hopes
    >for Wackyland...)

    I'm not sure what the "afternoon" reference means, but it does seem
    like only a couple of these are pre-1948 (aka the former MGM
    collection)... but a couple are. And Porky was a freakin' star in the
    1930s and early 40s... they need to have at least one black and white
    Porky on there, hopefully Pictures (which was on the Carrotblanca VHS)
    or Wackyland.

    I don't plan on purchasing the Warner movie classics, so I wouldn't
    mind crossover of material.... but I guess I understand why some
    would.

    The lack of mention of What's Opera and One Froggy Evening alone--both
    of which would merit supplements--make me assume they have plans for a
    vol.2 box set, however, so we'll see what happens.
    ChessPieceFace, Jul 12, 2003
  8. ChessPieceFace wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:29:47 -0400, Derek Janssen <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>ChessPieceFace wrote:
    >>

    >>>disc 1 (probably the same as the Bugs Bunny separate release):
    >>>
    >>>9. BASEBALL BUGS

    >>Not that I mind, but where do you get "Baseball Bugs"?

    > Actually, that's an assumption, based upon the restoration comparison
    > picture in the article. The short could be on disc 1 or 4, I suppose,
    > but it's on there somewhere...

    Oops, missed that. :)

    Derek Janssen (that'swhatthemansaidyouheardwhathesaidhesaidthat!)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 12, 2003
  9. On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:33:46 GMT, ChessPieceFace
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:29:47 -0400, Derek Janssen <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>ChessPieceFace wrote:

    >>> Gotta have Porky In Wackyland... also would like You Oughta Be In
    >>> Pictures, Great Piggy Bank Robbery, The Ducksters, Beanstalk Bunny, A
    >>> Star Is Bored, Robin Hood Daffy!!, Abominable Snow Rabbit, Porky In
    >>> Egypt, Scaredy Cat...

    >>I'd guess they're still cleaning out some that were already on the 24
    >>Carrot VHS collections for "new" cartoons, so "Boobs in the Woods",
    >>"Deduce, You Say?", or perhaps even "Rocket Squad" have a better chance
    >>of filling single vacancies first.

    >Ecch... I hope not.
    >>
    >>(And no mention of the "afternoon"-delegate P or D's, so hold out hopes
    >>for Wackyland...)

    >I'm not sure what the "afternoon" reference means, but it does seem
    >like only a couple of these are pre-1948 (aka the former MGM
    >collection)... but a couple are. And Porky was a freakin' star in the
    >1930s and early 40s... they need to have at least one black and white
    >Porky on there, hopefully Pictures (which was on the Carrotblanca VHS)
    >or Wackyland.
    >
    >I don't plan on purchasing the Warner movie classics, so I wouldn't
    >mind crossover of material.... but I guess I understand why some
    >would.
    >
    >The lack of mention of What's Opera and One Froggy Evening alone--both
    >of which would merit supplements--make me assume they have plans for a
    >vol.2 box set, however, so we'll see what happens.

    The laserdiscs were a nice match of the well-known Bugs, Porky, etc,
    and the less well known early Merrie Melodies, so buying any box in
    the collection would provide a cross-section of product. The DVD's
    seem to represent mainly the afternoon TV shorts. Maybe there will be
    a disc of black and whites, but it wouldn't sell as well. Hopefully
    future DVD boxes will indeed have a "compleat" collection of early
    Merrie Melodies, Tex avery, and two-strip colour shorts. However I
    doubt we'll see a "politically incorrect" set, which for some reason
    "One Froggy Evening" is considered as being. I would LOVE a
    collection of all the jazz-themed cartoons!! And the Hollywood
    caricature shorts were presented in sequence on the Lasers, showing
    the evolution in caricature style and the changes in presentation -
    the later shorts had less music, less extreme caricature, and more
    talk.

    I think Warner will do right by these sets, particularly since ALL the
    cartoons are now firmly controlled by one entity, whereas there were
    distribution problems with some of the shorts in the Laser sets,
    preventing for instance box 2 being available at retail in Canada.
    And the restoration work looks promising.

    (sigh!) another regular outlay of $100 every couple of months or
    so....

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 12, 2003
  10. jayembee

    Doonie Guest

    Doonie, Jul 13, 2003
  11. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:36:31 GMT, Doonie
    <> wrote:

    >On 12 Jul 2003 06:05:20 -0700, jayembee wrote:
    >
    >>Details on the contents of the 4-disc release streeting on
    >>10/28 can be found at: http://www.cartoonresearch.com/news.html

    > This seems to be a mix-match of titles.. Are they in any order at
    >all?

    ......Kinda....

    1: Bugs Bunny
    2. Porky & Daffy
    3: Chuck Jones/Robert Clampett (Maybe... all but one listed are Chuck
    Jones)
    4. Robert McKimson/Friz Freleng
    ChessPieceFace, Jul 13, 2003
  12. ChessPieceFace wrote:

    >> This seems to be a mix-match of titles.. Are they in any order at
    >>all?

    > .....Kinda....
    >
    > 1: Bugs Bunny
    > 2. Porky & Daffy
    > 3: Chuck Jones/Robert Clampett (Maybe... all but one listed are Chuck
    > Jones)
    > 4. Robert McKimson/Friz Freleng

    Actually given the placement of the featurettes, seems to be more:
    1) Bugs
    2) Porky & Daffy
    3) Salute to the Unsung Supporting Characters (Wile E., Foghorn, Pepe,
    Marvin)
    4) Friz Freleng: Sylvester, Tweety, and Speedy

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 13, 2003
  13. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:44:41 -0400, Derek Janssen <>
    wrote:

    >ChessPieceFace wrote:
    >
    >> 1: Bugs Bunny
    >> 2. Porky & Daffy
    >> 3: Chuck Jones/Robert Clampett (Maybe... all but one listed are Chuck
    >> Jones)
    >> 4. Robert McKimson/Friz Freleng

    >Actually given the placement of the featurettes, seems to be more:
    >1) Bugs
    >2) Porky & Daffy
    >3) Salute to the Unsung Supporting Characters (Wile E., Foghorn, Pepe,
    >Marvin)
    >4) Friz Freleng: Sylvester, Tweety, and Speedy
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    I'd have to disagree on 3/4, but of course this is only based upon
    what we know.

    1. FAST & FURRY-OUS -Chuck Jones, Road Runner
    2. HAIR RAISING HARE-Chuck, Bugs
    3. HAREDEVIL HARE-Chuck, Bugs/Marvin
    4. FOR SCENT-I-MENTAL REASONS-Chuck,Pepe
    5. BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID-Clampett, Bugs/Beaky
    6. FEED THE KITTY-Chuck
    7. BUGS BUNNY AND THE THREE BEARS-Chuck,Bugs/Bears
    8. BATON BUNNY-Chuck,Bugs
    9. THE HYPO-CHRONDRI-CAT-Chuck (assumed to be included based on
    extras)

    I agree that it's meant to include supporting characters or one-off
    shorts, but it's all Chuck except for one Clampett. The featurettes
    don't seem to focus on the directors, but the cartoons included seem
    to. I bet the rest of the list includes a couple of Clampetts.

    Incidentally, the Toon Heads special listed sounds interesting, but
    doesn't really clear up the focus of the discs:

    34. TOONHEADS SPECIAL - THE LOST CARTOONS (03/12/2000):
    [This one-hour documentary-style special featured mostly
    highlights and lengthy, sometimes edited, extracts from some films
    that were rarely seen or previously forgotten in public.]
    "Bosko The Talk-Ink Kid"
    "Crying For The Carolines"
    "Lady Play Your Mandolin"
    "Any Bonds Today?"
    "Spies"
    "The Return Of Mr. Hook"
    "Two Guys From Texas"
    "My Dream Is Yours"
    "So Much For So Little"
    "Orange Blossoms For Violet"
    "Drafty Isn't It?"
    Tang Commerical [B&W] with Bugs Bunny and Marvin Martian
    "Philbert"
    "The Adventures Of The Road Runner"

    And disc 4:
    1. TWEETY'S S.O.S. -Freleng,Syl/Tweety
    2. THE FOGHORN LEGHORN -McKimson,Foghorn
    3. CANARY ROW-Freleng,Syl/Tweety
    4. CANNED FEUD-Freleng,Syl
    5. SPEEDY GONZALES-Freleng,Syl/Speedy
    6. PUTTY TAT TWOUBLE-Freleng,Syl/Tweety
    7. BROKEN LEGHORN-McKimson,Foghorn
    8. DEVIL MAY HARE-McKimson,Bugs/Taz
    9-14???

    Plus featurettes on McKimson and Freleng. My guess is the rest of the
    cartoons will include another Taz, another Foghorn, a Sylvester &
    Hippety Hopper, and a couple of random McKimson or Freleng shorts...

    I wish they'd issue a press release with the full list, so we can stop
    speculating and I can safely toss out a couple of videotapes when I
    move in a month...
    ChessPieceFace, Jul 13, 2003
  14. ChessPieceFace wrote:

    >>Actually given the placement of the featurettes, seems to be more:
    >>1) Bugs
    >>2) Porky & Daffy
    >>3) Salute to the Unsung Supporting Characters (Wile E., Foghorn, Pepe,
    >>Marvin)
    >>4) Friz Freleng: Sylvester, Tweety, and Speedy
    >>

    > I'd have to disagree on 3/4, but of course this is only based upon
    > what we know.
    >
    > 1. FAST & FURRY-OUS -Chuck Jones, Road Runner
    > 2. HAIR RAISING HARE-Chuck, Bugs
    > 3. HAREDEVIL HARE-Chuck, Bugs/Marvin
    > 4. FOR SCENT-I-MENTAL REASONS-Chuck,Pepe
    > 5. BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID-Clampett, Bugs/Beaky
    > 6. FEED THE KITTY-Chuck
    > 7. BUGS BUNNY AND THE THREE BEARS-Chuck,Bugs/Bears
    > 8. BATON BUNNY-Chuck,Bugs
    > 9. THE HYPO-CHRONDRI-CAT-Chuck (assumed to be included based on
    > extras)
    >
    > I agree that it's meant to include supporting characters or one-off
    > shorts, but it's all Chuck except for one Clampett.

    OTOH, except for Baton Bunny, we have one of each "unsung" character
    that wasn't on the Freleng disk--
    In order, Wile E., Rudolph the innn-teresting Monster (no, he is NOT
    "Gossamer", dammit!), Marvin, Pepe, Beaky, Marc Antony & Pussyfoot, the
    Three Bears, and Claude/Hubie & Bert.

    Look, this's Warner; they think doing a Friz disk is Historic Film
    Archiving--
    That and a later Opera/Froggy-stocked Chuck disk are officially going to
    be *IT* for "director tributes". (As it was for the 24 Carrot VHS
    series, unless they decide to do the same Mel Blanc tribute, too.)

    It's called character marketing...Deal with it now, and save time.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 13, 2003
  15. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:

    >>>I'd guess they're still cleaning out some that were already on the 24
    >>>Carrot VHS collections for "new" cartoons, so "Boobs in the Woods",
    >>>"Deduce, You Say?", or perhaps even "Rocket Squad" have a better chance
    >>>of filling single vacancies first.

    >>Ecch... I hope not.

    Apropos of little (and hoping to tranquilize-dart a few of the more
    rabid historical-nut posters expecting an All-Arthur Davis disk), I
    decided to dig out my old Warner character-marketing 24 Carrot Golden
    Jubilee series VHS's from 1985, the last closest thing WHV ever marketed
    to a mainstream "historical collectors' edition":

    - Bugs:
    Long Haired Hare; Bunny Hugged; Grey Hounded Hare; Roman Legion Hare;
    Hare Do; Bully for Bugs; Ali Baba Bunny; Duck, Rabbit, Duck!

    - Daffy:
    Duck Amuck; The Daffy Doc; Beanstalk Bunny; Deduce, You Say?; Rabbit
    Fire; Dripalong Daffy; Scarlet Pumpernickel; Porky's Duck Hunt

    - Porky:
    Curtain Razor; Boobs in the Woods; Often an Orphan; You Ought to Be in
    Pictures; Wearing of the Grin; Mouse Wreckers; Cracked Quack; Dough for
    the Do-Do

    ....As for the character disks, looks like Warner's keeping the major
    divisions for the "classics"--
    Don't have the Chuck Tribute tape in front of me, but IIRC, there was
    only one place to find What's Opera, Doc?, One Froggy Evening, and
    Rabbit of Seville.

    (Think there was also an all-Elmer Fudd tape, the only place to find
    Bugs Bonnets, and can't recall the list on the Mel Blanc Tribute disk--
    Oh, and they stuck the Sam & Ralph "Don't Give Up the Sheep" on the Road
    Runner tape, so we may have another distinct possibility for Disk 3.)

    > However I
    > doubt we'll see a "politically incorrect" set, which for some reason
    > "One Froggy Evening" is considered as being.

    Wrong, but it would be nice to see "Frigid Hare" cleared of its false
    charge...
    (Look, Bugs was mowed down, he couldn't even *see* who he was calling a
    "big ape"!)

    I would LOVE a
    > collection of all the jazz-themed cartoons!! And the Hollywood
    > caricature shorts were presented in sequence on the Lasers, showing
    > the evolution in caricature style and the changes in presentation -
    > the later shorts had less music, less extreme caricature, and more
    > talk.

    I'm guessing that's a Warner/CN ToonHeads episode for a future
    bonus-extra...

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 13, 2003