*The local device name is already in use.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by J David Ellis, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. No reply to this posting on group ...help_and_support

    "An error occurred while reconnecting DRIVE to \\FLOOR\C$
    Microsoft Windows Network : The local device name is
    already in use.
    This connection has not been restored."

    =======

    This is the pop-up message that appears at the client when
    attempting to open a new connected network drive in My
    Computer. The drive was placed in My Computer by Map Network
    Drive which appeared go complete normally, except it didn't
    open a Windows Explorer for the share. FLOOR is the server name.

    The wireless network, at home, with a server connected to a
    DSL-like feed via router and to a wireless access point to
    which the client is connected, allows client access to the
    internet but not to the server's shares.

    The cardbus wireless adapter has just been installed in the
    client, along with the latest XP SP2 updates from Microsoft.
    One effect of this combination is that the welcome screen is
    no longer available. I'm told MS blocked its use because the
    welcome screen has a security leak.

    Software firewalls on both computers have been uninstalled.
    Computers use the same login name and password. I have
    executed at the command prompt: net use z: /delete which has
    completed successfully. No help.

    Both computers have current anti-virus software and have had
    full AV HD scans. Before the cardbus wireless adapter
    install plus the update, there was no problem accessing
    server's default shares by the client while it used a USB
    wireless adapter.

    Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

    --David
    J David Ellis, Dec 14, 2006

  2. J David Ellis

    Pavel A. Guest

    "J David Ellis" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have executed at the command prompt: net use z: /delete which has completed successfully. No help.

    Is Z: the drive letter for that network drive?
    Can you try manually connect to it again using a different letter,
    or just by UNC name?

    --PA
    Pavel A., Dec 14, 2006

  3. The problem was caused by a Netgear WG511v2 wireless adapter
    driver. When the driver was uninstalled this problem, and
    others, disappeared.

    Thanks for the response.

    --D

    J David Ellis, Dec 15, 2006