    experience Disney's "Dynamic And Spatially Enhanced Surround
    Experience".

    Every movie studio should take a note on how 5.1 should be done!

    Maverick, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Maverick

    Maverick Guest

    Oops, sorry for the HTML, my bad!

    Maverick, Oct 8, 2003

  3. I totally agree. It makes you feel like you are in the movie more than the traditional 5.1 mix that is made for the theatres.

    Mike

    "Maverick" <> wrote in message news:...
    I suggest everyone listen to the Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, it's
    simply amazing! I'm lucky enough to have full range surround speakers to
    experience Disney's "Dynamic And Spatially Enhanced Surround
    Experience".

    Every movie studio should take a note on how 5.1 should be done!

    "To be the best, you make mistakes than move on..." ~ TOPGUN

    \Mighty\ Mike Blues, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Maverick

    Richard C. Guest

    Are you aware that posting HTML and graphics are not welcome here?

    =====================

    Richard C., Oct 8, 2003
  5. Maverick

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > Are you aware that posting HTML and graphics are not welcome here?

    Posts like that get an automatic plonk from me. Life's too short.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Maverick

    Guest

    (Richard C.) wrote:

    >Are you aware that posting HTML and graphics are
    > not welcome here?
    >=====================
    >>"Maverick" <> wrote in
    >> message

    >>news:>>awson.webtv.net... I

    suggest everyone listen to
    >> the Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, it's
    >> simply amazing! I'm lucky enough to have full
    >> range surround speakers to experience Disney's
    >> "Dynamic And Spatially Enhanced Surround
    >> Experience".

    >>Every movie studio should take a note on how
    >> 5.1 should be done!

    I apologize for accidentally posting in HTML, I forgot to turn-off the
    HTML on my browser.

    , Oct 8, 2003
  7. Maverick

    unclejr Guest

    "\"Mighty\" Mike Blues" <someone@yahoo nospam.com> wrote...
    > I totally agree. It makes you feel like you are in the movie more than
    > the traditional 5.1 mix that is made for the theatres.
    >
    > Mike

    Putting the excellent sound quality of the "Enhanced Home Theater Mix"
    aside, what would make me feel like I am in the movie is to have the
    EXACT SAME animation on this DVD as I saw 9 years ago in the movie
    theater. I don't mind Disney adding the "Morning Report" scene to the
    theatrical cut to make a "special edition" cut. However, I want the
    damn ORIGINAL theatrical cut as shown in 1994, not an "original" cut
    as shown in IMAX theaters earlier this year!

    The crocodiles from the ORIGINAL theatrical release from 1994:

    <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/oldcrocs.jpg>

    and the "retouched" crocodiles from the 2003 Platinum DVD:

    <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/newcrocs.jpg>

    Am I the only one disturbed by the blatant revisionist animation for
    this DVD? Yes? Well, then perhaps, they should refilm the end of
    Citizen Kane, where the newly-recast, California-Governor-Elect,
    Arnold Schwarzenegger (as Charles Foster Kane) says, "Rrrrozzzbud" (in
    his thick Austrian accent) and put that on the Super-Duper Special
    Platinum Edition DVD! Won't that be a treat?...

    I didn't think so.

    Enough of me carping about this. If you all are happy with this
    revisionist piece of dreck for a DVD with its fluff "extras" and NO
    theatrical nor television trailers, then fine... enjoy it. I, for
    one, am quite pleased with some of it (like the new sound mix), but
    overall, I'm very disappointed. I'm keeping my LaserDisc Box Set, and
    I will treasure it more than this very weak DVD.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Oct 8, 2003
  8. Maverick

    Mark B. Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    > "\"Mighty\" Mike Blues" <someone@yahoo nospam.com> wrote...
    > > I totally agree. It makes you feel like you are in the movie more than
    > > the traditional 5.1 mix that is made for the theatres.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > Putting the excellent sound quality of the "Enhanced Home Theater Mix"
    > aside, what would make me feel like I am in the movie is to have the
    > EXACT SAME animation on this DVD as I saw 9 years ago in the movie
    > theater. I don't mind Disney adding the "Morning Report" scene to the
    > theatrical cut to make a "special edition" cut. However, I want the
    > damn ORIGINAL theatrical cut as shown in 1994, not an "original" cut
    > as shown in IMAX theaters earlier this year!
    >
    > The crocodiles from the ORIGINAL theatrical release from 1994:
    >
    > <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/oldcrocs.jpg>
    >
    > and the "retouched" crocodiles from the 2003 Platinum DVD:
    >
    > <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/newcrocs.jpg>

    What are some other differences? If that's the only scene, I'm pretty sure
    I can live with it.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 9, 2003
  9. Maverick

    No Time Guest

    (unclejr) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "\"Mighty\" Mike Blues" <someone@yahoo nospam.com> wrote...
    > > I totally agree. It makes you feel like you are in the movie more than
    > > the traditional 5.1 mix that is made for the theatres.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > Putting the excellent sound quality of the "Enhanced Home Theater Mix"
    > aside, what would make me feel like I am in the movie is to have the
    > EXACT SAME animation on this DVD as I saw 9 years ago in the movie
    > theater.

    We heard you the first seven hundred times. If seeing different
    crocodiles for .05 seconds causes you actual physical pain, perhaps
    DVD's aren't for you. I hear coloring books are much less stressful.

    I don't mind Disney adding the "Morning Report" scene to the
    > theatrical cut to make a "special edition" cut. However, I want the
    > damn ORIGINAL theatrical cut as shown in 1994, not an "original" cut
    > as shown in IMAX theaters earlier this year!
    >
    > The crocodiles from the ORIGINAL theatrical release from 1994:
    >
    > <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/oldcrocs.jpg>
    >
    > and the "retouched" crocodiles from the 2003 Platinum DVD:
    >
    > <http://www.suesrock.net/home/tiramisue/newcrocs.jpg>
    >
    > Am I the only one disturbed by the blatant revisionist animation for
    > this DVD? Yes? Well, then perhaps, they should refilm the end of
    > Citizen Kane, where the newly-recast, California-Governor-Elect,
    > Arnold Schwarzenegger (as Charles Foster Kane) says, "Rrrrozzzbud" (in
    > his thick Austrian accent) and put that on the Super-Duper Special
    > Platinum Edition DVD! Won't that be a treat?...
    >
    > I didn't think so.

    Congratulations. That's the most idiotic analogy I've read on this ng
    all month (though it's only October 8 so I'm sure you'll have your
    "award" stolen in no time). If you truly think changing the actor at
    the end of Citizen Kane is equivalent to a barely noticeable
    animation-cell change in the middle of a song in the Lion King, you
    have severe mental problems.

    then you have severe mental problems.>
    > Enough of me carping about this. If you all are happy with this
    > revisionist piece of dreck for a DVD with its fluff "extras" and NO
    > theatrical nor television trailers, then fine... enjoy it. I, for
    > one, am quite pleased with some of it (like the new sound mix), but
    > overall, I'm very disappointed. I'm keeping my LaserDisc Box Set, and
    > I will treasure it more than this very weak DVD.

    Hopefully the Robert Guillaume documentary holds you over. Otherwise
    you're missing out on the best-looking, best-sounding, most worthwhile
    extras-filled version of the greatest animated film ever made. Try not
    to let that destroy you.

    No Time, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Maverick

    unclejr Guest

    (No Time) wrote...
    > We heard you the first seven hundred times.

    Uh, that would be three times... Perhaps, you need to go back to
    school and finally pass the 1st grade to know the difference between
    three and seven hundred. I'll give you a quick lesson, though... 3
    does not = 700. There, was that so hard? Lesson over.

    Granted three times is twice too many, so I apologize to the NG for
    the redundancy.

    > If seeing different
    > crocodiles for .05 seconds causes you actual physical pain, perhaps
    > DVD's aren't for you. I hear coloring books are much less stressful.

    I'm sure that you would know first-hand about this little tidbit of
    wisdom! Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with the NG.

    > Congratulations. That's the most idiotic analogy I've read on this ng
    > all month (though it's only October 8 so I'm sure you'll have your
    > "award" stolen in no time). If you truly think changing the actor at
    > the end of Citizen Kane is equivalent to a barely noticeable
    > animation-cell change in the middle of a song in the Lion King, you
    > have severe mental problems.

    Are you an M.D. psychiatrist or have a Ph.D. in psychology? No? I
    didn't think so. Have you ever even graduated from high school? No?
    I thought as much.

    I admit that my analogy isn't perfect. Obviously Charles Foster Kane
    is a central character to Citizen Kane, whereas the crocodiles are not
    central to the story to The Lion King. However, a substitution is a
    substitution -- whether it be for a few frames, or whether it be for
    longer (I am reminded by the two Darrens in Bewitched!). Disney
    advertises that the Platinum DVD has the original theatrical cut -- I
    was just pointing out that this is a blatant lie.

    > Hopefully the Robert Guillaume documentary holds you over. Otherwise
    > you're missing out on the best-looking, best-sounding, most worthwhile
    > extras-filled version of the greatest animated film ever made. Try not
    > to let that destroy you.

    The extras are pure self-congratulatory fluff; there is very little
    that is substantial about them at all. However, for those who have
    the attention span of a child, I'm sure that the extras will appear to
    be quite satisfactory.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Maverick

    unclejr Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote...
    > What are some other differences? If that's the only scene, I'm pretty sure
    > I can live with it.
    >
    > Mark

    Only one other that I'm aware of:

    The LaserDisc:

    <http://www.dvdforum.nu/images/leachp/galleri/006199Y46T3RFUYNL358DB5LPGLYVH.jpg>

    The Platinum DVD:

    <http://www.dvdforum.nu/images/leachp/galleri/006199DK9BWAFYRHLCX5BA30ZV1IUL.jpg>

    Cheers,

    -Junior

    unclejr, Oct 9, 2003
  12. Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 9, 2003
  13. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:14:11 GMT, "Aaron J. Bossig"
    <> wrote:

    > (unclejr) wrote in
    >

    >> Only one other that I'm aware of:
    >>
    >> The LaserDisc:
    >>
    >> <http://www.dvdforum.nu/images/leachp/galleri/006199Y46T3RFUYNL358DB5LP
    >> GLYVH.jpg>
    >>
    >> The Platinum DVD:
    >>
    >> <http://www.dvdforum.nu/images/leachp/galleri/006199DK9BWAFYRHLCX5BA30Z
    >> V1IUL.jpg>

    >I pretty much expected this one. My, what some dirty-minded
    >people can't see!

    I thought that they were letters, but they spelled SFX, a reference to
    one of the companies involved in the animation.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 10, 2003
  14. In news:,
    unclejr <> said in a panic:
    > Enough of me carping about this. If you all are happy with this
    > revisionist piece of dreck for a DVD with its fluff "extras" and NO
    > theatrical nor television trailers, then fine... enjoy it. I, for
    > one, am quite pleased with some of it (like the new sound mix), but
    > overall, I'm very disappointed. I'm keeping my LaserDisc Box Set, and
    > I will treasure it more than this very weak DVD.
    >
    > -Junior

    Dude, you really need to get over it. You have done nothing but whine
    and complain ever since the DVD came out just because a few frames
    of animation got enhanced. This isn't like the whole Star Wars SE vs
    Originals argument where in that case George Lucas screwed around with
    the films so much that key elements of the storyline were altered (Han
    Solo/Greedo anyone). And I'm glad you got the LD Boxset, its worth
    its weight in gold but tell me - how well does it look on a 16:9 TV compared
    to the new DVD?

    The new DVD looks just PHENOMINAL on a 16:9 Projection. :)

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Oct 10, 2003
  15. >>I pretty much expected this one. My, what some dirty-minded
    >>people can't see!

    > I thought that they were letters, but they spelled SFX, a reference to
    > one of the companies involved in the animation.

    Unfortunately, that isn't everyone's conclusion.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 10, 2003
  16. Maverick

    unclejr Guest

    "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little" <> spewed forth the
    following...
    > Dude, you really need to get over it. You have done nothing but whine
    > and complain ever since the DVD came out just because a few frames
    > of animation got enhanced.

    What part of "Enough of me carping about this" from my previous post
    don't you understand?

    Thank you for your concern. I have gotten over it. After having the
    DVD for four days now, I've calmed down and am learning to enjoy the
    new cut with the different-looking waterfalls,

    <http://www.iconografica.com.mx/tlkwaterfall.jpg>

    crocodiles, stars, etc. Probably the new "Enhanced Home Theater Mix"
    helped a lot in assuaging my initial contempt for the new visuals.

    The original crocodiles looked fine to me. The original waterfalls
    looked fine to me. The original stars looked... well, nevermind. :)

    > This isn't like the whole Star Wars SE vs
    > Originals argument where in that case George Lucas screwed around with
    > the films so much that key elements of the storyline were altered (Han
    > Solo/Greedo anyone).

    To the degree that the changes in the visuals in The Lion King DVD
    doesn't change the storyline (like Lucas' changes in Star Wars surely
    did), I whole-heartedly agree with you.

    However, Disney claims on the slipcase cover that the "Original
    Release" is a version available on this DVD. If BVHE had put an
    asterisk afterward and said toward the bottom of that same column,
    "*as shown on IMAX theaters," then I would have little to bitch about,
    because that is precisely what they have sold to me. However, I
    bought the DVD thinking that the "Original Release" was on the disc.
    It is not. Plain and simple.

    > And I'm glad you got the LD Boxset, its worth
    > its weight in gold but tell me - how well does it look on a 16:9 TV compared
    > to the new DVD?

    I don't know; I can't afford one. I CAN tell you that the colors on
    my LD look a lot less vibrant on my 32" analog set than the colors on
    this DVD. However, the LD is quite watchable.

    > The new DVD looks just PHENOMINAL on a 16:9 Projection. :)

    That's good to hear. One of these days, I hope to see this for myself
    firsthand. :)

    -Junior

    unclejr, Oct 11, 2003
  17. Maverick

    Erik Harris Guest

    On 9 Oct 2003 09:23:15 -0700, (unclejr) wrote:

    >Granted three times is twice too many, so I apologize to the NG for
    >the redundancy.

    Or three times too many when the example you're posting is a URL to a web
    server that isn't stable enough for people to see what you're talking about.
    I'm curious about this "appalling" difference, but suesrock.net refuses
    connection when I try to go to those links (and doesn't respond at all when I
    just try going to www.suesrock.net)

    --
    Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
    AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

    The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
    Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.

    Erik Harris, Oct 11, 2003
  18. In news:,
    unclejr <> said in a panic:
    > The original crocodiles looked fine to me. The original waterfalls
    > looked fine to me. The original stars looked... well, nevermind. :)

    I agree it looked fine already, but to me the look on the enhanced
    version gives the film a nicer look.

    >> This isn't like the whole Star Wars SE vs
    >> Originals argument where in that case George Lucas screwed around
    >> with
    >> the films so much that key elements of the storyline were altered
    >> (Han Solo/Greedo anyone).

    > To the degree that the changes in the visuals in The Lion King DVD
    > doesn't change the storyline (like Lucas' changes in Star Wars surely
    > did), I whole-heartedly agree with you.
    >
    > However, Disney claims on the slipcase cover that the "Original
    > Release" is a version available on this DVD. If BVHE had put an
    > asterisk afterward and said toward the bottom of that same column,
    > "*as shown on IMAX theaters," then I would have little to bitch about,
    > because that is precisely what they have sold to me. However, I
    > bought the DVD thinking that the "Original Release" was on the disc.
    > It is not. Plain and simple.

    It would be kinda hard to really put both the true "Original Release"
    and SE on the same disc, not without having an endless amount of seamless
    branching going on - and we know what happens on some players with
    that, right? So BVHE had to compromise somewhere on how to handle
    it. I wouldn't minded of them doing a 3 disc set perhaps with the TRUE
    original version on one disc, the SE on another, then the extras on disc 3.

    >> And I'm glad you got the LD Boxset, its worth
    >> its weight in gold but tell me - how well does it look on a 16:9 TV
    >> compared to the new DVD?

    > I don't know; I can't afford one. I CAN tell you that the colors on
    > my LD look a lot less vibrant on my 32" analog set than the colors on
    > this DVD. However, the LD is quite watchable.

    I agree there, I have it on LD myself (the standard one, not the boxset) and
    the DVD looks and sounds leaps and bounds better than the LD. However
    the LD still looks better than the crappy P&S VHS.

    Oh... and I only own a Sony VVega 27 inch TV myself with a 16:9
    enhanced mode. I've gotten to watch TLK at my job on a 16:9 TV with
    a nice 5.1 setup. That stampede sequence is LOUD on a nice setup too. :)

    >> The new DVD looks just PHENOMINAL on a 16:9 Projection. :)

    > That's good to hear. One of these days, I hope to see this for myself
    > firsthand. :)

    You'll *LOVE* it, guaranteeded!

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Oct 11, 2003
  19. Maverick

    Doonie Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:52:16 -0500, Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little
    wrote:

    >So BVHE had to compromise somewhere on how to handle
    >it.

    The Lion King is a Buena Vista title?

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Oct 11, 2003
  20. In news:,
    Doonie <> said in a panic:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:52:16 -0500, Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little
    > wrote:
    >
    >> So BVHE had to compromise somewhere on how to handle
    >> it.

    > The Lion King is a Buena Vista title?

    Oops, I meant Disney. I was typing so quickly that I didn't notice
    that I typed BVHE instead of Disney. My bad.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Oct 11, 2003