    to come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point
    there won't be any masses left.

    , Apr 19, 2006

  2. chrisv Guest

    (flatfish) wrote:

    >(snip troll)

    *plonk*

    chrisv, Apr 19, 2006

  3. Lobo Guest

    On 19 Apr 2006 10:49:53 -0700, wrote:

    >http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >
    >"Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    >by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    >reallylinux.com.
    >
    >One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how
    >his meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    >bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    >his question regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems,
    >the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""

    Thank you for the informative link. It has valuable advice for all of
    us.

    >Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >other Linux group I have read.
    >It's no wonder Linux is going down the drain faster than yesterday's
    >sushi.
    >The group comp.os.linux.advocacy should be renamed to
    >"Microsoft.bashing"
    >
    >At some point the Linux high and mighty will figure out that they need
    >to come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point
    >there won't be any masses left.

    BTW, Susan, have you read the link you posted?

    Lobo, Apr 19, 2006
  4. AGEE Guest

    On 19 Apr 2006 10:49:53 -0700, wrote:

    >http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >
    >"Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    >by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    >reallylinux.com.
    >
    >One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how
    >his meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    >bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    >his question regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems,
    >the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >

    >Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >other Linux group I have read.

    Sadly true

    >It's no wonder Linux is going down the drain faster than yesterday's
    >sushi.

    Fortunately not true

    >The group comp.os.linux.advocacy should be renamed to
    >"Microsoft.bashing"

    Indeed.
    Although Microsft often needs a good bashing. Just not every day.

    >At some point the Linux high and mighty will figure out that they need
    >to come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point
    >there won't be any masses left.

    Linux is spreading well. A basic system for Email web browsing and
    basic office work is easier to set up than Widows XP. I know because
    I do both on a regular basis. The problem with Linux is when one wants
    a bit more than the basics. Hopefully as people become more aware of
    just what a computer can do they will select the system that is most
    useful to them.

    AGEE, Apr 19, 2006
  5. J Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >
    > "Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    > by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    > reallylinux.com.
    >
    > One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how
    > his meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    > bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    > his question regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems,
    > the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >

    > Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    > other Linux group I have read.
    > It's no wonder Linux is going down the drain faster than yesterday's
    > sushi.
    > The group comp.os.linux.advocacy should be renamed to
    > "Microsoft.bashing"
    >
    > At some point the Linux high and mighty will figure out that they need
    > to come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point
    > there won't be any masses left.

    Let me stand in the middle here and say that you're emotionally charged and
    "in your face, you big meanie" attitude make you into the very type of
    person (linux guru or not) that you claim to be against. Often people in
    these groups accuse others of trolling where according to wikipedia's
    definition of a troll, they were not actually intending to annoy or
    irritate. It is obvious that a troll is someone 'with an attitude' if you
    go by wiki's definition. In this case, they are right in calling you a
    troll. You took a balanced and well-minded article and added a rude
    commentary to it. Shame on you.

    -JB

    J, Apr 19, 2006
  6. JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2006-04-19, <> wrote:
    > http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >
    > "Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    > by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    > reallylinux.com.
    >
    > One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how
    > his meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    > bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    > his question regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems,
    > the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >

    > Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    > other Linux group I have read.

    LIAR.

    This group spefically exists to keep *.advocacy noise out of
    the other groups. The fact that this *.advocacy group is a bit off a
    cesspool has nothing to do with Linux. All *.advocacy groups attract
    trolls and flamers.

    Like I said, that's what they're for... a honeypot of sorts.

    [deletia]

    Now, the so-called IT professional mentioned in that article
    deserved every bit of abuse he got for acting like a helpless ninny.

    --
    ....as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

    JEDIDIAH, Apr 19, 2006
  7. On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:49:53 +0000, susan.fahgin wrote:

    > http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >
    > "Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    > by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    > reallylinux.com.
    >
    > One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how his
    > meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows, bash him
    > and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering his question
    > regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems, the response was
    > a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >

    > Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    > other Linux group I have read.
    > It's no wonder Linux is going down the drain faster than yesterday's
    > sushi.
    > The group comp.os.linux.advocacy should be renamed to "Microsoft.bashing"
    >
    > At some point the Linux high and mighty will figure out that they need to
    > come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point there
    > won't be any masses left.

    The official linux FAQ:

    Q: How do I install Linux?

    A: RTFM dumbass

    Q: What programs can I run on Linux?

    A: RTFM dumbass

    Q: Is Linux suitable for desktop use in my office?

    A: RTFM dumbass

    Q: Can I run games on Linux?

    A: RTFM dumbass

    Q: Is Linux secure?

    A: RTFM dumbass

    Q: Is Linux user friendly?

    A: RTFM dumbass

    Q: So what do I get for the money?

    A: What you pay for, ultimately.

    lesbian Hitler, Apr 19, 2006
  8. 7 Guest

    Re: The Windope eXpee Homo Edition Community is Killing Clippy. Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!!

    flatfish wrote:

    Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!!
    The micoshaft ship is sinking!!!

    "Windope Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    by Waiter V. Klingon for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    reallyclippy.com.

    One particularly distraught new Windoze eXpee Homo edition
    user came to me and shared how
    his meeting with a number of Windope "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    his question regarding which Clippy they prefer to use on their systems,
    the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your DoS." ""

    Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy! and just about every
    other Linux group I have read.
    It's no wonder Linux is beating up windopes faster than yesterday's
    sushi.
    The group comp.os.linux.advocacy should be renamed to
    "Micoshaft.bashing" because they really are bashing windopes
    without even trying!!
    Hundreds of free livecd distros out there bashing windopes by the dozen
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    and we have is $399 copy of windope eXpee homo edition to show
    for it. In straight productivity tests, windopes is no good.

    At some point the Linux high and mighty will figure out
    how to crush windopes accidentally and that they needn't
    to come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point
    there won't be any masses left, they will have switched to
    GNU/Linux.

    Whoop!! Whoop! Whoop!
    Jump for your lives, the micoshaft ship is sinking!!
    Whoop!! Whoop! Whoop!

    7, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Unruh Guest

    JEDIDIAH <> writes:

    >On 2006-04-19, <> wrote:
    >> http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >>
    >> "Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    >> by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    >> reallylinux.com.
    >>
    >> One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how
    >> his meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    >> bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    >> his question regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems,
    >> the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >>

    >> Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >> other Linux group I have read.

    > LIAR.

    > Now, the so-called IT professional mentioned in that article
    >deserved every bit of abuse he got for acting like a helpless ninny.

    Of course we have absolutely no idea who that responder was and if he was
    an "IT professional" or even a "Linux pro". All we know is that the new
    Linux user thought he was one. It could even have been someone who sees it
    as his purpose to insult newbies in the name of Linux to discourage them
    from taking up Linux.

    We also have no idea what and how he asked the question. Eg." Linux is a
    complete disaster. I have been trying Linux for the last hour and it is
    clear that Linux will never be able to compete with Windows. How in the
    world can i do anything when all I get in front of me is a blank black
    screen with a white login: in the top left corner?"
    If that was how he asked his question he deserved everything he got, and I
    have seen people, Linux newbies, ask questions like that.

    On the other hand I have also seen people who really can help with Linux
    snap at some newbie for asking a perfectly reasonable question. ( And I
    have seen far more people actually try to help them).

    Ie, this article contains too little information to come to any conclusion.

    Yes, some people are assholes, ( and even more are assholes some of the
    time), but that is true in all aspects of life, including driving cars.
    (The number of people who honk at cars with huge L plates on the back of
    the car, or cut them off is also rediculous)

    Unruh, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Unruh Guest

    "lesbian Hitler" <> writes:

    >On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:49:53 +0000, susan.fahgin wrote:

    >> http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >>
    >> "Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    >> by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    >> reallylinux.com.
    >>
    >> One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how his
    >> meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows, bash him
    >> and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering his question
    >> regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems, the response was
    >> a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >>

    >> Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >> other Linux group I have read.
    >> It's no wonder Linux is going down the drain faster than yesterday's
    >> sushi.
    >> The group comp.os.linux.advocacy should be renamed to "Microsoft.bashing"
    >>
    >> At some point the Linux high and mighty will figure out that they need to
    >> come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point there
    >> won't be any masses left.

    >The official linux FAQ:

    >Q: How do I install Linux?

    >A: RTFM dumbass

    >Q: What programs can I run on Linux?

    >A: RTFM dumbass

    >Q: Is Linux suitable for desktop use in my office?

    >A: RTFM dumbass

    >Q: Can I run games on Linux?

    >A: RTFM dumbass

    >Q: Is Linux secure?

    >A: RTFM dumbass

    >Q: Is Linux user friendly?

    >A: RTFM dumbass

    >Q: So what do I get for the money?

    >A: What you pay for, ultimately.

    Yes, perfect example of the attitude. (Probably not the way it was intended
    however).

    Unruh, Apr 19, 2006
  11. Mara Guest

    [Crossposting deliberately left in for this post]

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:41:25 -0500, JEDIDIAH <> wrote:

    >On 2006-04-19, <> wrote:
    >> http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >>
    >> "Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    >> by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    >> reallylinux.com.
    >>
    >> One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how
    >> his meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    >> bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    >> his question regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems,
    >> the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >>

    >> Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >> other Linux group I have read.

    > LIAR.
    >
    > This group spefically exists to keep *.advocacy noise out of
    >the other groups.

    The why the HELL do you posters keep crossposting this all over usenet? Do you
    ever pay the slightest bit of attention to what you're doing? Or is it that
    you're just too stupid to keep the topic where it started, or maybe that you're
    *SO* easily trolled that you just can't resist?

    "You just made a liar out of yourself with the above statement. I hope you
    realise that."

    --
    <Prowler> AB, do you know how to speak to the dead yet?
    <AB> ...

    Mara, Apr 19, 2006
  12. Guest

    Re: The Linux Community is Killing Linux. (I Thought This Was the FAQ?)

    + +
    + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer +
    + Edition: 11 - 1/4/03 +
    + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy +
    + +
    + Copyright (c) 2002-2005 Linux Reality Team +

    Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    real people, continue reading. If you would like to be told what
    you want to hear, or read a bunch of misinformation that you will
    regret later as you find things don't work as they should, feel free
    to read one of the other "FAQS" in here.

    OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!

    Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
    Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
    may find that you have better things you can do instead.

    SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    --------------------------

    1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
    something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
    right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
    work. That's if the device is even supported.

    1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    installation freezes or just stops?
    A: You get to reboot and start all over again. :) This happens
    every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
    routines or something. Ain't Linux grand? :)

    1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    hard drive space!
    A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
    on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
    but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
    useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
    different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    ---------------------------

    2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
    the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
    that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
    sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
    edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
    programming, you might as well get used to it.

    2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    A: These are command line programs that do things within the
    system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
    are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
    in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
    wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

    (more to come...)

    SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    ----------------------------

    3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
    on the desktop,(I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
    companies that make software won't write their programs for
    Linux. There's a lot of community created programs out there,
    and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
    Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
    counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
    early in development.

    3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    is that?
    A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell. Different versions and
    distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
    programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
    will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

    3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    what is a makefile?
    A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
    under Linux. When the question above fails, you can always
    build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
    the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
    large programs, you need to know some cryptic commands and
    you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
    where you just double click and you are done.

    3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
    not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
    there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    ---------------------------

    4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's. Even
    the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program that
    is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days. So
    working with old technology will give you the old technology
    responsiveness. Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
    at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
    compared to, say, Windows.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    --------------------------

    5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
    governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
    You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
    as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some
    varying UI stile in Linux.

    5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free. All the other
    distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
    that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
    hard to get to work. Why should they make it easy? The more
    people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
    or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
    it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
    same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
    other distros are using. In other words, they're all on about
    the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows, so you're
    not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
    to another.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    -----------------------------

    6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a
    common
    answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
    persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    any help.

    6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when using
    Linux?
    A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    takes
    a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    superior,
    and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have time for
    the
    pathetic little Windows people.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

    7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    if it isn't?
    A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the last windows
    they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

    7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    questions linux?
    A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and reasonable
    judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your are a troll
    or a paid MS supporter.

    7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
    A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them or
    you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy way out
    of having to prove themselves, they will <PLONK> you.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

    8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of
    links
    anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    Linux
    extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    Linux
    comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    that
    belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    or
    outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    anything
    questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a little
    "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    then
    decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

    (more to come...)

  13. Supersano Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:36:44 -0500, Mara wrote:

    > [Crossposting deliberately left in for this post]
    >
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:41:25 -0500, JEDIDIAH <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-04-19, <> wrote:
    >>> http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >>>
    >>> "Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    >>> by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    >>> reallylinux.com.
    >>>
    >>> One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how
    >>> his meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows,
    >>> bash him and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering
    >>> his question regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems,
    >>> the response was a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >>>

    >>> Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >>> other Linux group I have read.

    >> LIAR.
    >>
    >> This group spefically exists to keep *.advocacy noise out of
    >>the other groups.

    > The why the HELL do you posters keep crossposting this all over usenet? Do you
    > ever pay the slightest bit of attention to what you're doing? Or is it that
    > you're just too stupid to keep the topic where it started, or maybe that you're
    > *SO* easily trolled that you just can't resist?
    >
    > "You just made a liar out of yourself with the above statement. I hope you
    > realise that."

    Oh ghod. Don't wake up hipcrime.
    --
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add,
    but when there is nothing left to take away.

    Supersano, Apr 19, 2006
  14. Unruh Guest

    writes:

    >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > + +
    > + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer +
    > + Edition: 11 - 1/4/03 +
    > + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy +
    > + +
    > + Copyright (c) 2002-2005 Linux Reality Team +
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    >Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    >FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and

    Some people have more time than they know what to do with, or they are
    being paid to produce drivel.
    <Rest of so called FAQ deleted.>

    Unruh, Apr 19, 2006
  15. B Gruff Guest

    Re: The Linux Community is Killing Linux. (I Thought This Was the FAQ?)

    Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    real people, continue reading.

    Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.

    SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION

    1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    installation freezes or just stops?
    A: Quit worrying - it won't happen. If you are the nervous sort,
    try a LIVECD first.

    1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    hard drive space!
    A: Including browsers, full Office Suite, CD/DVD burning S/W,
    several excellent editors, photo-viewing S/W, games, image-editing
    S/W and a host of utilities and other stuff? Amazing, isn't it?
    So, everything you need, all installed within an hour, including
    firewall, and only about 99% of your hard drive left?

    (more to come...)

    SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    ---------------------------

    2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: All ASCII text files - no cryptic Registry here:) Relax:)

    2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    A: Don't be silly - they aren't telling you to do anything.
    Someday, you'll learn just what some of those are.
    Meanwhile, think of them as a ping command in Windows -
    if you don't know what it is, you don't need it:)

    (more to come...)

    SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    ----------------------------

    3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: Good question. If you got SUSE, you got most of what
    you'll ever need!

    3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    is that?
    A: If you got SUSE, it probably didn't happen, did it?

    3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    what is a makefile?
    A: These all refer to things you can't do in Windows.
    - so why are you worrying?
    Someday, you'll realise just how powerful Linux is.
    THEN is the time to ask.

    3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: You don't need to - if you got SUSE, just look on your CDs:)
    (more to come...)

    SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    ---------------------------

    4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: It isn't. You clearly haven't installed it yet.
    (more to come...)

    SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    --------------------------

    5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: They are as different or as same as you want them to be.

    5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    A: If you wish. It's very cheap.
    Alternatively, simply download it for free (gratis) quite legally.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    -----------------------------

    6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual.

    6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when
    using Linux?
    A: They don't. It's simply that they (if you are a Windows user)
    are a lot better off than you are - they don't have Registry
    problems, don't suffer from viruses, don't need to defrag drives,
    don't have systems slowing down with time.... they are just
    happy people, and feel sorry for Windows users.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

    7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    if it isn't?
    A: They don't say that. Simply that it's infinitely better than
    Windows - and you are right - they wouldn't say it if it were
    not true.

    7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    questions linux?
    A: They don't. It's just that they have come to recognise trolls -
    like the silly one that started this thread

    7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
    A: Fairly similar to above.
    (more to come...)

    SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

    8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of
    links to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so
    strongly?
    A: They are just Windows users. Just make sure that *you* aren't
    one of them:)

    B Gruff, Apr 20, 2006
  16. Guest

    B Gruff wrote:
    > Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    > FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    > this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    > realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    > real people, continue reading.

    Interesting.

    I can't seem to find any references to your FAQ Mr. Gruff.
    I do find the one listed below in various places on the net.
    Now, with a childish moniker like B.Gruff, you just prove what
    this FAZ, the REAL COLA FAQ, says in various places.

    C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer
    Edition: 14.2.67.0.1 - 4/0106
    Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team

[...]

    A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
    something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
    right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
    work. That's if the device is even supported.

    1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    installation freezes or just stops?
    A: You get to reboot and start all over again. :) This happens
    every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
    routines or something. Ain't Linux grand? :)

    1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    hard drive space!
    A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
    on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
    but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
    useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
    different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    ---------------------------

    2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
    the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
    that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
    sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
    edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
    programming, you might as well get used to it.

    2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    A: These are command line programs that do things within the
    system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
    are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
    in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
    wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

    (more to come...)

    SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    ----------------------------

    3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
    on the desktop,(I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
    companies that make software won't write their programs for
    Linux. There's a lot of community created programs out there,
    and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
    Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
    counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
    early in development.

    3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    is that?
    A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell. Different versions and
    distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
    programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
    will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

    3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    what is a makefile?
    A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
    under Linux. When the question above fails, you can always
    build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
    the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
    large programs, you need to know some cryptic commands and
    you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
    where you just double click and you are done.

    3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
    not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
    there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    ---------------------------

    4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's. Even
    the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program that

    is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days. So
    working with old technology will give you the old technology
    responsiveness. Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
    at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
    compared to, say, Windows.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    --------------------------

    5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
    governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
    You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
    as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some

    varying UI stile in Linux.

    5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free. All the other
    distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
    that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
    hard to get to work. Why should they make it easy? The more
    people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
    or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
    it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
    same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
    other distros are using. In other words, they're all on about
    the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows, so you're
    not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
    to another.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    -----------------------------

    6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a
    common
    answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
    persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    any help.

    6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when using
    Linux?
    A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    takes
    a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    superior,
    and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have time for
    the
    pathetic little Windows people.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

    7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    if it isn't?
    A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the last windows

    they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

    7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    questions linux?
    A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and reasonable

    judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your are a troll

    or a paid MS supporter.

    7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
    A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them or

    you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy way out
    of having to prove themselves, they will <PLONK> you.

    SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

    8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of
    links to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a
    little
    "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

    (more to come...)

    , Apr 20, 2006
  17. Jim Guest

    Re: The Linux Community is Killing Linux. (I Thought This Was theFAQ?)

    Oh, here we go with the defacing a perfectly good FAQ...
    Let's put some CORRECTIONS in, shall we?

    wrote:
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > + +
    > + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer +
    > + Edition: 11 - 1/4/03 +
    > + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy +
    > + +
    > + Copyright (c) 2002-2005 Linux Reality Team +
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    > FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    > this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    > realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    > real people, continue reading. If you would like to be told what
    > you want to hear, or read a bunch of misinformation that you will
    > regret later as you find things don't work as they should, feel free
    > to read one of the other "FAQS" in here.
    >
    > OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!
    >
    > Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    > and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
    > Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
    > may find that you have better things you can do instead.
    >
    > SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    > --------------------------
    >
    > 1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    > A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    > trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    > are not supported.

    WRONG!
    With the NVidia Linux drivers, I was able to get a 4500GTX up and
    running under SuSE 10 with full 3D support, and with very little effort.
    TODAY.

    If your lucky you might be able to find
    > something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    > after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    > advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    WRONG!
    OK, there are a few devices that you need to hunt for. But the same is
    true for Windows.
    For instance, try finding a touchscreen driver for XPSP2 on a Panasonic
    Toughbook CF-M34GPRS2. Or a NON-SONY NetMD MSD driver for Windows. Two
    to get you going there. Here's something to make you cry: both devices
    are easily configurable under Linux.

    > 1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    > A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
    > right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
    > work. That's if the device is even supported.

    WRONG!
    As demonstrated above.

    > 1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    > installation freezes or just stops?
    > A: You get to reboot and start all over again. :) This happens
    > every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
    > routines or something. Ain't Linux grand? :)

    THE SAME IS TRUE OF WINDOWS!
    And you're a klutz if you run install off of your master CD. ALWAYS use
    a disposable copy. Said disposable copy may have burn errors. Such
    errors will usually manifest themselves as missing files, unreadable
    discs, etc. Live with it.

    > 1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    > hard drive space!
    > A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
    > on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
    > but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
    > useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
    > different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

    And how much nonsoftware bloat does Windows install?
    By the time you've got SP2 on there, you're talking well over a Gig. AND
    YOU'VE NOT EVEN STARTED PUTTING APP SOFTWARE ON YET!

    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    > ---------------------------
    >
    > 2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    > A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
    > the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
    > that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
    > sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
    > edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
    > programming, you might as well get used to it.

    Just like the Windows Registry, eh?

    > 2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    > these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    > A: These are command line programs that do things within the
    > system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
    > are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
    > in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
    > wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

    that's what X frameservers (GUIs to you) are for, dumbass.
    Apart from that, you get more control over a process through the command
    line. With VERY few exceptions.

    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    > ----------------------------
    >
    > 3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    > A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
    > on the desktop,

    codswallop.

    (I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
    > companies that make software won't write their programs for
    > Linux.

    not a problem, that's what Cedega is for.

    There's a lot of community created programs out there,

    Don't forget the THOUSANDS of commercial packages!

    > and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
    > Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
    > counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
    > early in development.

    Bollocks. The last thing Linux is intended for is to IMITATE Windows in
    any shape or form. Linux is Linux. Linux is for people who want to USE
    their computers. Windows is for people who want to be USED BY their
    computers.

    > 3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    > is that?
    > A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell.

    Waitaminute. You mean that thing they patched yonks ago with that
    autodependency checking and resolution thing?

    Different versions and
    > distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
    > programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
    > will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

    WRONG.

    > 3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    > what is a makefile?
    > A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
    > under Linux.

    IF you're a developer or just someone with specialised requirements of
    his software, or you just want to optimise the software for your
    hardware. Funny how the Redmond offering doesn't give anything like
    this, isn't it?

    When the question above fails, you can always
    > build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
    > the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
    > large programs,

    depends on the hardware. You're so used to running MS-Windows you expect
    things to take a long time. With Linux you can stop the frameserver and
    compile from the command line. This means the entire system is dedicated
    to compiling -> faster compile. You do the math.

    you need to know some cryptic commands and
    > you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
    > where you just double click and you are done.

    Or even just visit a website and let the system install all that
    wonderful porn diallage for you, invisibly, without even asking you
    first! OOH! This is FANTASTIC!

    > 3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    > A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
    > not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
    > there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

    stop pulling these bullshit numbers out of your arse. OSS is made viable
    via SUPPORT. Get rid of that boxed-up, outdated and frankly DEAD
    business model you seem to be stuck in.

    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    > ---------------------------
    >
    > 4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    > A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's.

    erm... so is NT.

    Even
    > the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program that
    > is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days.

    erm... so is the XP GUI.

    So
    > working with old technology will give you the old technology
    > responsiveness.

    wrong. Particularly given that same said old software technology would
    run proportionately faster on the newer hardware. Ever seen a 3GHz XT in
    action? Try running FractINT (Stone Soup Group, google for it) in a pure
    DOS environment on a 3.06 p4. It'll blow your mind. That software core
    is EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD. It was developed on 80386's!

    Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
    > at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
    > compared to, say, Windows.

    scuse me while I kiss the sky... oh, wait, I'm not on the same shit
    you're on. Giz some!

    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    > --------------------------
    >
    > 5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    > A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
    > governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
    > You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
    > as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some
    > varying UI stile in Linux.

    It's about choice and utility. Some hardware can't handle KDE because of
    the hardware requirements. Some people run IceWM on dual HT Xeons
    because they want maximum performance but they also want a GUI. Fair
    dues to them, it's their CHOICE.

    > 5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    > A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free.

    No they don't. I not only downloaded it not two days ago, I also
    obtained a computer magazine with a copy of the DVD on the front cover.

    All the other
    > distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
    > that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
    > hard to get to work.

    Read above.

    Why should they make it easy? The more
    > people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
    > or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
    > it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
    > same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
    > other distros are using.

    Yeah? And?

    In other words, they're all on about
    > the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows,

    Oh, you mean the GUI that's only JUST "innovated" multiple desktops
    (still Alpha), that's only JUST "innovated" transparent windows and
    menus (STILL Alpha)?

    I'm gonna just go kiss the sky again...

    so you're
    > not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
    > to another.
    >
    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    > -----------------------------
    >
    > 6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    > A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a
    > common
    > answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    > It's meant to make you feel inadequate

    No, it's made to make you do some fucking work instead of bleating like
    some newbie Windows user who's lost his fucking talking paper clip.

    while boating the Linux
    > persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    > themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    > newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    > hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    > any help.

    No.
    Says in the Bible somewhere, God helps he who helps himself. As far as a
    newcomer to Linux is concerned, experienced users are God. We're not
    going to handhold you through every fucking thing. That's what the
    manuals are for. If you read the manuals, you'll usually find the answer
    you're looking for. IF you don't find the answer you're looking for,
    THEN you come to a Guru and ask. Stupid questions are those which are
    answered in the manuals, and will open you WIDE to ridicule, and
    deservedly so.

    > 6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when using
    > Linux?

    Because it involves more than wanking off a piece of plastic with a
    wheel in its back?

    > A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    > takes
    > a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    > superior,
    > and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have time for
    > the
    > pathetic little Windows people.

    Yanno, in the dictionary under "redundant" it says "See redundant"

    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?
    >
    > 7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    > if it isn't?

    I never claimed it was perfect.

    > A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    > they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    > Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the last windows
    > they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

    I use both. I also use MAC OS. I prefer Linux because it gives me more
    control over my own computer, it's faster and more responsive, and a
    darn sight more stable and forgiving of faulty hardware.

    > 7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    > questions linux?

    because the tag fits, in most cases.

    > A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    > religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    > Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    > someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    > system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and reasonable
    > judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your are a troll
    > or a paid MS supporter.
    >
    > 7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
    > A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    > point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them or
    > you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy way out
    > of having to prove themselves, they will <PLONK> you.
    >
    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    >
    > 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    > it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of
    > links
    > anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    > A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    > Linux
    > extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    > Linux
    > comes from Microsoft.

    Like many cult-like groups, the people
    > that
    > belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    > or
    > outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    > anything
    > questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a little
    > "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    > (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    > then
    > decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

    You mean, like you?

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?hl=en&q=&qt_s=Search

    As at tonight, all of FIVE messages, all crossposted.

    > (more to come...)
    >

    > lesbian Hitler wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:49:53 +0000, susan.fahgin wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml
    >>>
    >>>"Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry
    >>>by Walter V. Koenning for the OPINION/EDITORIAL section on
    >>>reallylinux.com.
    >>>
    >>>One particularly distraught new Linux user came to me and shared how his
    >>>meeting with a number of Linux "pros" turned to a bash Windows, bash him
    >>>and bash everything he said gathering. Instead of answering his question
    >>>regarding which GUI they prefer to use on their systems, the response was
    >>>a clear: "you ignoramous! Go back to your Windows." ""
    >>>

    >>>Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >>>other Linux group I have read.
    >>>It's no wonder Linux is going down the drain faster than yesterday's
    >>>sushi.
    >>>The group comp.os.linux.advocacy should be renamed to "Microsoft.bashing"
    >>>
    >>>At some point the Linux high and mighty will figure out that they need to
    >>>come down from the mountain to meet the masses, but at that point there
    >>>won't be any masses left.

    >>The official linux FAQ:
    >>
    >>Q: How do I install Linux?
    >>
    >>A: RTFM dumbass

    Same as you would Windows. Insert CD, read manual, follow onscreen
    instructions.
    If that is beyond you, take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

    >>Q: What programs can I run on Linux?
    >>
    >>A: RTFM dumbass

    what do you /want/ to run?

    >>Q: Is Linux suitable for desktop use in my office?
    >>
    >>A: RTFM dumbass

    what do you /want/ run run?

    >>Q: Can I run games on Linux?
    >>
    >>A: RTFM dumbass

    what games do you /want/ to play?

    >>Q: Is Linux secure?
    >>
    >>A: RTFM dumbass

    it's as secure as you make it. Debian Desktop with Apache with all the
    plugins under the sun installed does not a secure system make. There
    again, neither does a default install of Win2k Pro with IIS, Exchange
    Server and Telnet.

    >>Q: Is Linux user friendly?
    >>
    >>A: RTFM dumbass

    Depends on a lot of things. For two, which distribution you choose and
    for what activities you're going to be putting the box through.

    >>Q: So what do I get for the money?
    >>
    >>A: What you pay for, ultimately.

    with OSS and GNU/Linux in particular, the money you save you can spend
    elsewhere. Like, for instance, that dream holiday. Or a downpayment on
    that car. Or that mortage you want to ditch early. Linux gets you
    happiness, in other words. It got me happiness, anyway. YMMV.

    Jim, Apr 20, 2006
  18. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-19, Mara <> wrote:
    > [Crossposting deliberately left in for this post]

    But I took it out for this one.

    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:41:25 -0500, JEDIDIAH <> wrote:
    >>On 2006-04-19, <> wrote:
    >>> http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml

    [snip of blah blah]
    >>> Hey that sounds just like comp.os.linux.advocacy and just about every
    >>> other Linux group I have read.

    >> LIAR.
    >>
    >> This group spefically exists to keep *.advocacy noise out of
    >>the other groups.

    > The why the HELL do you posters keep crossposting this all over usenet? Do you
    > ever pay the slightest bit of attention to what you're doing? Or is it that
    > you're just too stupid to keep the topic where it started, or maybe that you're
    > *SO* easily trolled that you just can't resist?

    I honestly think that they're not paying attention to what group they are
    posting to. No matter what side of the troll bait they're on, it looks to
    me like most of this thread's posters think USENET is just one thing...like
    a single big 'forum' on some web site.

    > "You just made a liar out of yourself with the above statement. I hope you
    > realise that."

    [chuckle] One would think that the person making that statement would pay
    attention to cross-posting, follow-up settings.

    --
    'Maybe we're all back in school after spring break and this is recess in the
    modern technology-intensive middle school'

    Jimchip, Apr 20, 2006
  19. Jimchip wrote:

    > On 2006-04-19, Mara <> wrote:
    >> [Crossposting deliberately left in for this post]

    > But I took it out for this one.

    > [snip of blah blah]
    >>>
    >>> LIAR.
    >>>
    >>> This group spefically exists to keep *.advocacy noise out of
    >>>the other groups.

    >> The why the HELL do you posters keep crossposting this all over usenet?
    >> Do you ever pay the slightest bit of attention to what you're doing? Or
    >> is it that you're just too stupid to keep the topic where it started, or
    >> maybe that you're *SO* easily trolled that you just can't resist?

    > I honestly think that they're not paying attention to what group they are
    > posting to. No matter what side of the troll bait they're on, it looks to
    > me like most of this thread's posters think USENET is just one
    > thing...like a single big 'forum' on some web site.

    It's all owned by Google! :)

    (See sig.)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006
  20. Re: The Linux Community is Killing Linux. (I Thought This Was theFAQ?)

    Jim wrote:

    > Bollocks. The last thing Linux is intended for is to IMITATE Windows in
    > any shape or form. Linux is Linux. Linux is for people who want to USE
    > their computers. Windows is for people who want to be USED BY their
    > computers.

    No, windoze is for peepul who R T F stupid to use a computah.

    The Natural Philosopher, Apr 20, 2006