    could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
    from being gruntled.
    P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975

    Peter James, Sep 16, 2009

  2. "Peter James" <> wrote in message
    news:1j64w7b.p6196q190wxphN%...
    > I have a set of Hama 1.2 V/1850 mAh rechargeable batteries that are
    > about 3 to 4 years old. Would this be the normal life for such a set?
    > I am having trouble with them, they are sometimes reluctant to take a
    > charge in my Maha re-charger and don't seem to have much life when in
    > the camera.
    > Maybe it's time to dump them and buy another set?

    Probably, yes.

    Some people say that 3 years is a typical life for Li-Ion batteries. It
    won't be a case of the batteries suddenly stopping working, but a gradual
    loss of capacity. The batteries may have been sitting on a distributor's
    or shop's shelves for a while before you started using them, and it's the
    time since manufacture which matters.

    Not sure what life to expect from NiMH, though. I get the impression it's
    longer than Li-ion but perhaps more variable. Maybe go for Sanyo eneloops
    next time?

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Peter James

    SMS Guest

    Peter James wrote:
    > I have a set of Hama 1.2 V/1850 mAh rechargeable batteries that are
    > about 3 to 4 years old. Would this be the normal life for such a set?
    > I am having trouble with them, they are sometimes reluctant to take a
    > charge in my Maha re-charger and don't seem to have much life when in
    > the camera.
    > Maybe it's time to dump them and buy another set?

    3-5 years is about it, depending on how many recharge cycles you've gone
    through and how they were stored.

    See the battery information web site for more details, at
    "http://batterydata.com/". Or simply enter "nimh versus li" into Google
    and click on "I'm Feeling Lucky."

    SMS, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Peter James

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:30:10 -0700, isw <> wrote:
    : In article <sn3sm.79748$>,
    : "David J Taylor"
    : <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    :
    : > "Peter James" <> wrote in message
    : > news:1j64w7b.p6196q190wxphN%...
    : > > I have a set of Hama 1.2 V/1850 mAh rechargeable batteries that are
    : > > about 3 to 4 years old. Would this be the normal life for such a set?
    : > > I am having trouble with them, they are sometimes reluctant to take a
    : > > charge in my Maha re-charger and don't seem to have much life when in
    : > > the camera.
    : > > Maybe it's time to dump them and buy another set?
    : >
    : > Probably, yes.
    : >
    : > Some people say that 3 years is a typical life for Li-Ion batteries. It
    : > won't be a case of the batteries suddenly stopping working, but a gradual
    : > loss of capacity. The batteries may have been sitting on a distributor's
    : > or shop's shelves for a while before you started using them, and it's the
    : > time since manufacture which matters.
    : >
    : > Not sure what life to expect from NiMH, though. I get the impression it's
    : > longer than Li-ion but perhaps more variable. Maybe go for Sanyo eneloops
    : > next time?
    :
    : I think that NiCd and NiMH last better if they're kept charged and
    : never allowed to go really dead. I know that's true of Li-anything
    : batteries. If they drop below some voltage, it can actually be dangerous
    : to recharge them -- they grow little crystals inside that can hort them
    : out.

    I don't think you're right about NiCd. My recollection is that there's a
    hysteresis effect that damages their ability to take a charge if you DON'T let
    them fully discharge each time. That behavior was one reason that researchers
    were so keen to find something better.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 19, 2009