The lens that no one covered during Photokina (Tokina 17-35mm f/4 FX)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Oct 13, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    From photorumors.com:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yjswvn
    or:
    http://photorumors.com/2010/10/08/t...ring-photokina-tokina-at-x-17-35mm-f4-pro-fx/

    QUOTE:

    The lens that no one covered during Photokina:

    Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 PRO FX

    Besides a picture on dpreview and a two sentence coverage on dc.watch,
    there is no further information on the Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 PRO FX
    lens prototype that was shown at Photokina two weeks ago. A reader
    emailed me that this lens will take 77mm filters and is rather compact
    in size, similar to the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 DX version.

    Tokina already announced a AT-X 16-28mm PRO FX lens few months ago
    (for now available only on eBay).

    END QUOTE

    Bruce, Oct 13, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    >I am very happy with both the build & IQ with my Tokina AT-X 11-16
    >f/2.8 PRO DX.
    >The AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 PRO FX seems to be the FF equivalent of the 11-16 DX.
    >
    >I think the interesting thing that Tokina has done, has been for the
    >most part to restrain the zoom range of their lenses. Given that
    >philosophy, a FF 17-35mm f/4 makes a lot of sense to pair it with their
    >12-24mm f/4 DX.
    >So that gives them a DX and FX pair of lenses covering similar FL
    >equivalents and offering the same f/2.8 & f/4 glass.
    >
    >It seems they are building a FF range of useful quality lenses which
    >should be a bargain when compared to the Nikon/Canon/Leica/Zeiss glass.

    Agreed. What I find odd is that Tokina seems to have abandoned almost
    all of the high quality FF range that it used to make.

    The 20-35mm f/2.8 and 28-70 f/2.8 were professional quality lenses
    that appeared to sell well, then they were abruptly discontinued. The
    28-70mm was a particularly fine lens that was closely based on an
    optical design by Angenieux, the French company that used to make a
    range of superlative lenses for 35mm SLRs (and still makes lenses for
    TV and movies). There was a later 28-80mm f/2.8 that was derived from
    this design. Some reviews said that it was even better.

    There were also 80-200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8 lenses that were a lot
    cheaper than camera brand equivalents but delivered good, though not
    outstanding quality.

    Where on earth did all these go?

    Tokina still markets the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 that is better optically
    than the equivalent Nikkor but lacks the VR feature.

    >My only issue with Tokina is the time they take to get the lenses to
    >the vendors. There were shortages of the 11-16mm for months. None of
    >the vendors are even listing release dates for the FF lenses. So we
    >shall have to wait and see if they have anything on the shelves by the
    >time I would be able to find a good refurbished D700 next year.
    >
    >...and then there will be the review circus.

    Indeed. The article I gave the link to in my first post includes a
    link to eBay auctions for the 16-28mm.

    Bruce, Oct 13, 2010