The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Possible, May 26, 2012.

  1. Possible

    Possible Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Possible

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    >the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    >the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
    >
    >Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

    EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
    Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
    us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?
    , May 26, 2012

  3. In article <>,
    says...

    [snippage of links]

    I had a look at one of those demo vids.

    No way would I want to sit in front of my computer for a few hours
    gesturing away with one or both arms. I'd probably end up with inflamed
    shoulders ... just try holding your arms straight out for 1/2 an hour
    and wiggling your fingers.

    It's a cute idea, but --- no thanks. If I had a special application for
    it like cad, MAYBE. Might be able to replace a wacom.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, May 26, 2012
  4. On Sun, 27 May 2012 00:43:12 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >[snippage of links]
    >
    >I had a look at one of those demo vids.
    >
    >No way would I want to sit in front of my computer for a few hours
    >gesturing away with one or both arms. I'd probably end up with inflamed
    >shoulders ... just try holding your arms straight out for 1/2 an hour
    >and wiggling your fingers.
    >
    >It's a cute idea, but --- no thanks. If I had a special application for
    >it like cad, MAYBE. Might be able to replace a wacom.
    >

    >-P.

    Yes there were a lot of comments about having to hold your arm up
    causing your arm to get strained.

    The $70 came from a post that I copied
    Frank Williams, May 26, 2012
  5. Possible

    Squiggle Guest

    On 26/05/2012 11:34 p.m., threw some characters
    down the intarwebs:
    > On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    >> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    >> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
    >>
    >> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

    > EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
    > Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
    > us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?

    You really do go out of your way to make a complete prat of yourself
    don't you RichBot. The prices are fixed in USD, and EMB was quoting the
    costs at the prevailing exchange rate I would assume.
    Squiggle, May 26, 2012
  6. Possible

    Possible Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:57:43 +1200, Squiggle <>
    wrote:

    >On 26/05/2012 11:34 p.m., threw some characters
    >down the intarwebs:
    >> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    >>> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    >>> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
    >>>
    >>> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

    >> EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
    >> Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
    >> us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?
    >>

    >You really do go out of your way to make a complete prat of yourself
    >don't you RichBot. The prices are fixed in USD, and EMB was quoting the
    >costs at the prevailing exchange rate I would assume.

    No its EMB that is the complete prat, nearly all US shops now need
    bank transfers and that has added costs but some shops/companies will
    not ship to New Zealand, for a number of reasons one being US security
    reasons

    I found that out recently with some software that I was after, was sold
    here but no longer, but I could not order from the US told that they
    don't deal/ship to NZ.

    If it does sell here it will be more like $200nz +++
    Possible, May 27, 2012
  7. Possible

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2012 01:39:26 +1200, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 May 2012 00:43:12 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>

    >>[snippage of links]
    >>
    >>I had a look at one of those demo vids.
    >>
    >>No way would I want to sit in front of my computer for a few hours
    >>gesturing away with one or both arms. I'd probably end up with inflamed
    >>shoulders ... just try holding your arms straight out for 1/2 an hour
    >>and wiggling your fingers.
    >>
    >>It's a cute idea, but --- no thanks. If I had a special application for
    >>it like cad, MAYBE. Might be able to replace a wacom.
    >>

    >>-P.

    >Yes there were a lot of comments about having to hold your arm up
    >causing your arm to get strained.

    If you rested your elbow on the desk most of the time it wouldn't be
    much of a strain. It would be faster to move from keyboard to hand
    gestures than from keyboard to mouse. And no more RSI in the wrist
    from using a mouse.

    I hadn't seen this before, thanks for the heads-up.
    Ray Greene, May 27, 2012
  8. Possible

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    >the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    >the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

    Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
    pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
    international shipping.
    Donchano, May 27, 2012
  9. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110
    >> of the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing
    >> over the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

    > Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
    > pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
    > international shipping.

    Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't see the
    link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, May 27, 2012
  10. Possible

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2012 13:30:52 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110
    >>> of the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing
    >>> over the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

    >> Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
    >> pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
    >> international shipping.

    >Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't see the
    >link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?

    From the same people, but apparently it's supposed to be a vast
    improvement on the Kinect system. Here are the links from the op:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_d6KuiuteIA

    Website:- www.leapmotion.com

    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/le...ly-lift-finger/story?id=16381309#.T77Og7B5HTo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=MYgsAMKLu7s

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Kpi6aTv5o68
    Donchano, May 27, 2012
  11. Possible

    Ralph Fox Guest

    The 5 links are here: http://tinyurl.com/d3nce2j

    > I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?

    s/derivative/reminiscent/

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, May 27, 2012
  12. Possible

    wrote:

    >On 26/05/2012 11:34 p.m., threw some characters
    >down the intarwebs:
    >> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    >>> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    >>> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
    >>>
    >>> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

    >> EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
    >> Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
    >> us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?
    >>

    >You really do go out of your way to make a complete prat of yourself
    >don't you RichBot. The prices are fixed in USD, and EMB was quoting the
    >costs at the prevailing exchange rate I would assume.

    And implying that the OP had been lying in using the figure of $70. I
    was poionting out that he was similarly "lying". EMB would try and
    find fault in the sermon from the mount . . .
    , May 27, 2012
  13. Possible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-26, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    > Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    > process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    > posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    > the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    > the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
    >
    > Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

    Nice to see that you have said which buck the handle came from. Bucks are
    all over the countries of this planet.
    Gordon, May 27, 2012
  14. Possible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-27, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >>process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >>posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    >>the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    >>the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

    > Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
    > pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
    > international shipping.

    Gate swinger or conned? Time will tell.
    Gordon, May 27, 2012
  15. Possible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-27, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110
    >>> of the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing
    >>> over the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

    >> Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
    >> pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
    >> international shipping.

    > Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't see the
    > link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?

    Oh wow, chalk please. My kill file is my fingers on the keyboard. People in
    the past have moaned about the kill file *not* removing the responses to
    postings to thoses one has kill filed.

    Yep, the snippings of the posters to this group have not removed the link.

    So Shaun, I do suggest you consider what you have done, and whether you wish
    to change any settings. ;-)
    Gordon, May 27, 2012
  16. Possible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-27, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 May 2012 13:30:52 +1200, "~misfit~"
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    >>> from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
    >>> pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
    >>> international shipping.

    >>Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't see the
    >>link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?

    > From the same people, but apparently it's supposed to be a vast
    > improvement on the Kinect system. Here are the links from the op:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_d6KuiuteIA
    >
    > Website:- www.leapmotion.com
    >
    > http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/le...ly-lift-finger/story?id=16381309#.T77Og7B5HTo
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=MYgsAMKLu7s
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Kpi6aTv5o68

    The mouse and Kinect are about as related as to the first homs Sapien and us
    to-day.
    Gordon, May 27, 2012
  17. Possible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-26, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > On 26/05/2012 11:34 p.m., threw some characters
    > down the intarwebs:
    >> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
    >>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
    >>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
    >>> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
    >>> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
    >>>
    >>> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

    >> EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
    >> Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
    >> us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?
    >>

    > You really do go out of your way to make a complete prat of yourself
    > don't you RichBot. The prices are fixed in USD, and EMB was quoting the
    > costs at the prevailing exchange rate I would assume.

    As the saying goes *assume* makes and ass out of you and me. Pot and kettle
    are in a vigourous dissussion as I type.
    Gordon, May 27, 2012
  18. Possible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-26, Possible <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:57:43 +1200, Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 26/05/2012 11:34 p.m., threw some characters
    >>down the intarwebs:

    >>> EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
    >>> Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
    >>> us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?
    >>>

    >>You really do go out of your way to make a complete prat of yourself
    >>don't you RichBot. The prices are fixed in USD, and EMB was quoting the
    >>costs at the prevailing exchange rate I would assume.

    > No its EMB that is the complete prat, nearly all US shops now need
    > bank transfers and that has added costs but some shops/companies will
    > not ship to New Zealand, for a number of reasons one being US security
    > reasons
    >
    > I found that out recently with some software that I was after, was sold
    > here but no longer, but I could not order from the US told that they
    > don't deal/ship to NZ.
    >
    > If it does sell here it will be more like $200nz +++

    So the global economy is munted?

    Greece, come in please..
    Gordon, May 27, 2012
  19. Possible

    Donchano Guest

    On 27 May 2012 05:57:14 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >The mouse and Kinect are about as related as to the first homs Sapien and us
    >to-day.

    Been taking writing lessons from Woger?
    Donchano, May 27, 2012
  20. Possible

    John Little Guest

    On Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:04:43 AM UTC+12, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > It is bad enough when you do have buggered shoulders, even to sit at a
    > computer for a hour or so.

    I have dodgy shoulders, and have had considerable relief using a bendy keyboard, set far back, and putting an office chair right down so that my forearms rest always on the desk. And, I avoid using a mouse with my right hand, though I suppose my right shoulder is worse than my left.

    Regards, John
    John Little, May 27, 2012