    to rent the services -as a family entertainer and protector,
    on an hourly basis- of Michael Jackson. XBox included!

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Ramon F Herrera

    ec Guest

    "Ramon F Herrera" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was just told about this product:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/
    >
    > I can't help but wonder whether that server comes with
    > all the viruses and worms preinstalled or they need a
    > separate license?
    >
    > And I suppose that the next Microsoft offering would be
    > to rent the services -as a family entertainer and protector,
    > on an hourly basis- of Michael Jackson. XBox included!
    >
    > -Ramon

    Although your post was funny, ISA server is actually quite a hardened
    firewall solution, and more difficult to penetrate than PIX. Cisco would
    have a hard time denying that.

    ec, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Ramon F Herrera

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <1B2Ac.3864$ey.172@fed1read06>, says...
    > Although your post was funny, ISA server is actually quite a hardened
    > firewall solution, and more difficult to penetrate than PIX. Cisco would
    > have a hard time denying that.

    Microsoft has yet to make a product w/o gaping holes. Why would this be
    any different? I don't have any hands on experience, but it's not like
    they have a tremendous track record.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Ramon F Herrera

    Eddie Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:28:45 -0700, Hansang Bae wrote:

    > In article <1B2Ac.3864$ey.172@fed1read06>, says...
    >> Although your post was funny, ISA server is actually quite a hardened
    >> firewall solution, and more difficult to penetrate than PIX. Cisco
    >> would have a hard time denying that.

    > Microsoft has yet to make a product w/o gaping holes. Why would this be
    > any different? I don't have any hands on experience, but it's not like
    > they have a tremendous track record.

    I got to use one for a bit. It's a mess with more fetures then I ever
    have seen, packed into a sucky GUI. And for most of the advance fetures
    to work, you had to install the MS proxy client on every client computer.

    I am doing everything ISA server does (including IPSEC and filtering
    proxy) on a Slackware box with Shorewall. No proxy client needed.

    Eddie

    Eddie, Jun 17, 2004
  5. Ramon F Herrera

    ec Guest

    "Hansang Bae" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1B2Ac.3864$ey.172@fed1read06>, says...
    > > Although your post was funny, ISA server is actually quite a hardened
    > > firewall solution, and more difficult to penetrate than PIX. Cisco would
    > > have a hard time denying that.

    > Microsoft has yet to make a product w/o gaping holes. Why would this be
    > any different? I don't have any hands on experience, but it's not like
    > they have a tremendous track record.

    Search the Internet for reports of ISA compromises. This product is
    different from their others. ISA Server 2004 is awesome. I am not saying
    thats what I always recommend to clients because it requires a very skilled
    admin to support it.

    ec, Jun 17, 2004
  6. On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:19:45 -0700, "ec" <> wrote:

    >"Hansang Bae" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <1B2Ac.3864$ey.172@fed1read06>, says...
    >> > Although your post was funny, ISA server is actually quite a hardened
    >> > firewall solution, and more difficult to penetrate than PIX. Cisco would
    >> > have a hard time denying that.

    >> Microsoft has yet to make a product w/o gaping holes. Why would this be
    >> any different? I don't have any hands on experience, but it's not like
    >> they have a tremendous track record.
    >>

    >Search the Internet for reports of ISA compromises. This product is
    >different from their others. ISA Server 2004 is awesome. I am not saying
    >thats what I always recommend to clients because it requires a very skilled
    >admin to support it.

    Not sure if this counts it's late and everything: Microsoft Security
    Bulletin MS03-028 Flaw in ISA Server Error Pages Could Allow
    Cross-Site Scripting Attack

    I agree that there are a lot less known security issues with ISA
    Server then M$'s other products. Not sure if it's because it's that
    good or very flew places use them that people hack into. Or it's just
    doesn't get mentioned when it is broken into.

    Jeff

    Jeffrey Schwartz, Jun 17, 2004
  7. Ramon F Herrera

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>, Ramon F
    Herrera <> wrote:

    > I was just told about this product:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/
    >
    > I can't help but wonder whether that server comes with
    > all the viruses and worms preinstalled or they need a
    > separate license?

    Why bother? Just connect it to the Internet for a few hours and you'll
    get them all for free - a kind of peer2peer virus sharing network...

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Jun 17, 2004
  8. Ramon F Herrera

    Josh T Guest

    Eddie wrote:

    > I got to use one for a bit. It's a mess with more fetures then I ever
    > have seen, packed into a sucky GUI. And for most of the advance fetures
    > to work, you had to install the MS proxy client on every client computer.
    >
    > I am doing everything ISA server does (including IPSEC and filtering
    > proxy) on a Slackware box with Shorewall. No proxy client needed.

    I've run ISA Server 2000 for a few years and will also say I don't like it.

    1. The GUI is confusing and doesn't differentiate enough between what
    applies to the HTTP Proxy component and what applies to the "Routing
    Firewall".

    2. Remote administration is poor:

    a. You need to run the GUI as the same account that installed ISA
    server in the first place, not just an admin account
    b. Not all options show up remotely
    c. Its buggy and throws lots of COM/ActiveX errors after you change things.

    3. I cannot get IDS to work - supposed it does not work on the internal
    interface, but even on the external interface I can run nmap like crazy
    and no alarms fire.

    The only benefits it has is its integration into a Windows AD domain &
    single sign on features - you can control the HTTP proxy access by
    Windows username & Internet Explorer automagically sends Windows
    Username/Password via NTLM/Kerberos transparent to the user, and you can
    control VPN access though AD and Windows PCs include a compatible VPN
    client & they use the same username/password. Quite frankly as soon as
    I have the time to figure out how to do this with Linux/Squid etc. I'd
    like to dump ISA.

    Josh

    Josh T, Jun 17, 2004